Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here's the deal.

My brother wants to trade me his Russian 8mm Mauser rifle (Dont have pictures until he sends me some) That i guess is in great condition with the Bayonet for My S&W Savage model 64 .22lr
(Picture Below) My question is do you think i should do it?today I traded The top revolver in the second picture(TOP Loading worth about 100 bucks) for this .22lr(Worth about (Worth Aout 230 With custom Stuff) and now i wanna trade for this 8mm Mauser witch i think is worth more but ammo is hard to find and my .22 came with 600 bullets, what would you do?

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
By 8mm Russian I assume you mean one of the bazillion Mauser 98K rifles captured by the Soviets in WWII, that later went through an arsenal re-furb (I use the term loosely) and went into their national reserve. These have been sold over here in the past few years.

IMHO these imported Soviet 98's are the dregs of the WWII lot (Western European). There plenty of nice Czech and Yugoslavian Mausers still out there. 8X57JS (8mm Mauser .323)is available but can be pricey. I tend to avoid U.S. mfg 8mm since I discovered some of the major brands use .321 bullets. This is because some sporting and early military rifles were .318 caliber. Another factor with military bolt guns is their battlesight zero. This is often 300 meters and sometimes longer. To have a 100 yd. zero requires you buy an over-height front sight blank then file it down to meet your desired range.

I think you will experience a lot more pleasure retaining your .22. If you get the bug for a WWII military vet I suggest you decide what you want why you want it and study on it a bit. To the unprepared milsurp guns can turn out to be money pits and boat anchors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice to know :) yeah i figured it would depend on the rifle, i hear they are easy to get but some can be pretty rare. right after i posted this i went and looked at some videos and found out that this .22 can be pretty fun and inexpensive, and the Mauser is expensive.. bullets, fixes and most dont go for much. im thinking i might just keep the .22lr, with the way the law is going its better to get lots of 22 ammo and keep this gun then go with the gun i wont even be able to get ammo for lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,862 Posts
I'm going to offer a bit more advice. I see from this post and your posts in the classifieds, that you are looking to make a bunch of trades, etc. If you are just starting collecting and only have those two or three guns, my advice is to get to know them. Want something different, at this point I would advise to save your money and buy additional guns. First, I have made many trades and regret nearly all of them. Second, you take a hosing with trade-in to gun stores and unless you know what your doing, can take a hosing with private trades, as well. It takes longer, and you don't get that instant gratification but do yourself a favor and save money, use layaway, etc. to get your additional guns.

BTW, that Savage has nothing to do with S&W.

That savage you have is a neat little gun and I think you will be disappointed if you get rid of it. Besides, it's a whole lot cheaper to shoot than 8mm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great advice, yeah im just seeing what options i have on trading, ive been doing my research and i always do to make sure i dont get hosed it doesnt mean i wont though i agree with u. im starting to get my stock pile together i cant believe i didnt sooner but hey you got to start somewhere, i got these guns for free so im working my way to the top if i got to trade then so be it :) ill just make sure to take ur advice to heart. omg lol i thought i seen a s&w symbol on this savage i didnt no it wasn't my bad guys lol im a newb lol, but thanks i like it to its accurate as hell and fun and cheap i think im just going to keep it :)

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Put another way, "Experience is a harsh teacher. It offers the examination and then the lesson." I can tell Forester is another seasoned citizen in this respect.

In these crazy times I am hearing the term, "gun trafficking", too often. You may wish to invest some of your research time on the subject. We may see that altered today.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i c, well i have no intention on owning more guns than anyone else and buying and selling 1000s of guns lol but i get your point there is alot of disciplin that goes along with owning a gun i understand this :)

·
Super Moderator
10,862 Posts
No problem on the Savage thing. Just wanted you to know.

I'm not as seasoned as Waidman suggests, and I have been shooting since I was 8 or so, but I didn't really get in to it in depth until about 6 or 7 years ago. This forum, and others like it, was critical in bringing me up to speed quickly. What I'm saying is don't worry about the questions and don't worry about looking bad. We were all there at one point or another and we all had someone(s) to help us along the way. Gun people are by far the most heartfelt and generous culture I have ever been involved with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks forester :) i will learn the ropes one day at a time just like everyone else :) you guys are great people and i injoy talking to you its fun i plan on staying here with the forum and getting to know every body and learning alot :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm going to offer a bit more advice. I see from this post and your posts in the classifieds, that you are looking to make a bunch of trades, etc. If you are just starting collecting and only have those two or three guns, my advice is to get to know them. Want something different, at this point I would advise to save your money and buy additional guns. First, I have made many trades and regret nearly all of them. Second, you take a hosing with trade-in to gun stores and unless you know what your doing, can take a hosing with private trades, as well. It takes longer, and you don't get that instant gratification but do yourself a favor and save money, use layaway, etc. to get your additional guns.

BTW, that Savage has nothing to do with S&W.

That savage you have is a neat little gun and I think you will be disappointed if you get rid of it. Besides, it's a whole lot cheaper to shoot than 8mm.
Forester nails it here...I have been shooting, owning, collecting guns just a tad over fifty years.
There has not been one single trade or gun I sold that I didn't regret at some point.
If I had it to do all over again...I would collect gun safes, because they would all be full.

·
Super Moderator
10,862 Posts
Just reminiscing here:

I can only think of two trades that I have not regretted. The first was an old Herters single action 22lr that functioned fine but would group about 6 inches at 6 inches. :D Traded that on a Old Model Single Six that had not been back to Ruger for the "safety conversion." But again, I stupidly traded that one on something else. Miss that gun desperately. The second was an old Turkish Mauser. Shot fine but it was good trade fodder for something else. No attachment to that.

Trades I regret the most:

That Ruger mentioned above and my first auto 22 which was a S&W 422. Think I traded that in on a Ruger P89 which later went for a Taurus PT908 which later went for a S&W Sigma which later got sold for a custom revolver purchase. Well, you get the picture. I spent years and years regretting trading that 422, so when I ran across this one a couple of years ago, I had to snap it up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i c, im sure i will grow a bond with a gun and when i trade it i will feel like a complete jack ass thats part of the game i suppose :) but i no if i miss a gun ill do what you do just buy the same model and never get rid of it again :) i guess i did lose a gun that i loved more than anything and i do feel like a jack ass, it was a Taurus pt809 9mm with the long barrel 2 17 round clips.. man i loved it, ill own another one day :)

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
If Forester is wise enough to recognize his "paid for experience" he is indeed seasoned, whatever his chronological age. Most gun folk will admit to having bought an education or two, or three.

Hang in there Eddie neither Rome nor a decent stable of guns was built in a day, or a week or a year. Concentrate on quality goods you will enjoy and then perhaps pass along.

Good Hunting,

W.

·
Registered
165 Posts
We all had budgets to work with along the way, and may still have. And in doing so it was
learned to save the fun money to purchase items that will bring a smile to the face,
every time you look at it. That also means this forum, reading, talking, looking, and a favorite touching!
Use great thought in each purchase. You may not have a BIG COLLECTION in the end.
But it will reflect a little slice of history and YOU.
When I go my son will say "Wow, Dad Thanks" ! :D
My wife will say, "We'll how did he do that"...................ooops
Enjoy em while ya got 'em

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, i under stand, ive decided to keep the .22! yesterday i went out and did some shooting and had alot of fun! its very accurate, ammo is cheap and i was looking around and relized a .22 rifle is a must have and i agree! got to start small and work to the top :) plus me and my dad were talking and he wants to start rabbit hunting and a .22lr is perfect for the job :)

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Lots of good advice already, I'll just add a quote from one my all time favorite LEO's and gun writers, the late great Charles A. "Skeeter" Skelton...

"Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it".

Dance with the one that brung ya till you get a few more miles on ya and you won't regret it. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
19,831 Posts
You will have more fun keeping the Savage .22, but you need a 4x scope for it. You'll be amazed at how much more accurate you can be with a scope. The 8mm. will just hang around.....while you save your money for ammo. 8mm. ammo is pretty expensive, you won't shoot it much! Believe me....I've got a .30-06 that I don't shoot much! It's not much fun............ just dusting it off!!!! :eek: Bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have yet another bit of advice if you are interested in old military guns.

Get your C&R license. $30 for 3 years and you can buy direct. I see a lot of the old military guns for sale and the value is up to 5 times what you can get it for from the distributor.

C&R guns are almost any gun older than 50 years. That includes Winchesters, Remington, S&W, Colt, etc. But it also includes guns on ATF's list such as commemoratives.

Check out these dealers.
Curio & Relic Firearms
http://www.allans-armory.com/aa.php
C&R Eligible - Curio & Relic Firearms - C&R Guns - C&R Rifles - C&R - Shotgun - C&R AK47 Plus More!
Curio and Relic Firearms - Gun Auction - Curio and Relic at GunBroker.com

Check out those Swiss rifles. They are built like a Swiss watch!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts