Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You seem so helpful in explaining the nuances of serial number questions. May I ask for some help on a fairly early 22/32 Heavy Frame Target with Serial # 4720XX. I also have the crane number 75165. Walnut extension type grips without escutcheon. Front sight is the bead style.

Thanks in advance for you help with a new member trying to navigate around the forum and learn.

P.S.

We also inherited a NO DASH....Model 43 Airweight kit gun with the last Flat Latch configuration - diamond grips - 3 1/2" barrel, in a Pre-Bangor Punta era box with the solid white line. 5 digit serial number 730XX with crane #59753 with a letter "A" at a slight angle beneath it and further down there is an & ampersand. This is somewhat unusual among the revolvers we compared it to from our safe. We've never seen this symbol on the crane area before. Is it common?

Great to meet everyone!

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Any numbers/letters stamped on the frame are used by the assemblers to keep fitted parts together as they are blued, and mean nothing once the gun is done. Other stamps are inspectors marks, except of course the serial number.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Serial #444XXX shipped in 1927. That's the closest number to yours that I have a record of. After 8/23 the sights changed to a Patridge front and a square notch rear. These guns were pretty slow movers and may have sat for quite some time before shipping. Also they shipped way out of order so manufacturing date/features and ship date can be very different. S&W uses the ship date when dating a firearm. Post some photos please. These are fun guns to shoot.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,961 Posts
the model 43 is numbered in the 1953 Kit Gun series - and SCSW reports SN 70000 shipping in 1960, so you are looking at 60/61 for that one. that fits your box description and the flat latch (which phased out in 1966)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome WendyZXZ.

Apparently I am still not quite sure yet how to navigate to the right place. What I had wanted to do was generate a NEW Thread of my own asking a few questions - but this option did not jump out and bite me.....so I replied to someonelse's thread....who kindly helped.

Looking forward to using the forum the "Right Way" with your help.

Barbara (NailGunNellie)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Am I successfully uploading an image? Not yet sure of myself & could use guidance.

Welcome to the forum! welcome01
pix230235526.jpg

EDIT:

This photo is of one of the two guns from a Dakota based outfit - that we bid on. Only won the slightly older variant of this Korth .22LR model. Ours is the type with the SERIES 22 (Sport & Combat Frame type) that was made in the 60's. I had always heard that the GRIPS were made by NILL in Germany - in the S & W normal "K" frame type. I now have the early revolver with the grips that came on it and one spare set of NILL grips as well - and it appears that these do NOT interchange with any of our "K" Frames? We have STAGS, etc. that I had wanted to employ on the recent acquisition - but now hope to find out if anyone else has had this misunderstanding/disappointment?

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is there a limitation on the number of photos that can be added to an original thread that I create....or....in a reply to someone else's message?

Thanks for getting me started on the right foot.

Barbara (NailGunNellie)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look at the blue box "post new thread" on the left just above the forum heading or title.
Thank you so much.

Now I see just what you mean....but for some reason - when looking over the sight it escaped me. As we say here in Texas - if it was a snake....it would'a BIT me.

Appreciate your kindness!

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
IIRC the limit is 5 photos in one post. If you're getting the "url of picture" in the popup just click the tab "from computer" at the top of the popup.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer
1 - 12 of 12 Posts