Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inherited this Top-break revolver, finish isn't great as you will see, but it functions properly.
My short term goal is to stop the surface rust (properly and without devaluing it).
My long term goal is to restore and fire this beauty (assuming it is worthy).

Here is the info I am working with so far, i am about 24 hours into identifying it, so any corrections/guidance is much appreciated!

• Smith and Wesson new model 3
  • Serial number (seems to be matching on all parts): 41xx
  • Barrel length: 6.5 inches
  • fixed sights
  • Caliber: I think it is 44 Russian (cylinder length: 1.424 in, bore diameter: 0.427 in, cylinder holes diameter 0.457 in)
(a 44 Rem Mag brass fits in the cylinder about half way, it seems like the cylinder is slightly tapered as the 44 rem mag doesn't fit in the back of the cylinder.
  • there is a "star" stamped right in between the two castles of the cylinder lock on the frame (see picture)
  • there is what looks to be a "P" stamped on the lower receiver, right behind the pivot point (see picture)
  • there is what looks to be a "E" stamped on the upper receiver, the cylinder has to be removed to see it (see picture)

What should I do next?

Thank you all for your help!
Looking forward to showing the revolver some proper love!
Again this is my first project firearm, so please correct anything and do not worry about my feelings!
-Matt

Wood Handgun holster Gun barrel Bracket Natural material

Ruler Office ruler Wood Household hardware Gun accessory

Ruler Tape measure Office ruler Wood Tool

Wood Household hardware Gas Cylinder Machine

Hand Wood Finger Gesture Thumb

Helmet Wood Automotive lighting Personal protective equipment Metal

Finger Plant Material property Thumb Natural foods

Wood Glass Metal Armour Artifact

Wood Trunk Artifact Automotive tire Art

Finger Wood Household hardware Thumb Nail

·
Premium Member
21,705 Posts
Is there a definite shoulder in the cylinder chambers or are they tapered? If they are tapered, it's probably .44-40.

·
Premium Member
21,705 Posts
You should be able to see a step in the diameter of the cylinder chamber. A bamboo skewer should hang on that. If it's just a bump then more than likely it's a tapered chamber and it is chambered for 44-40 caliber ammo. If you can post a picture of the chamber lighted from the front of the cylinder, we can tell you if it's 44 Russian or 44-40.

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should be able to see a step in the diameter of the cylinder chamber. A bamboo skewer should hang on that. If it's just a bump then more than likely it's a tapered chamber and it is chambered for 44-40 caliber ammo. If you can post a picture of the chamber lighted from the front of the cylinder, we can tell you if it's 44 Russian or 44-40.
You rock!
Finger Wood Nail Thumb Button

Gesture Finger Wood Nail Rim

Automotive tire Gesture Finger Rim Thumb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts