Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
686 No Dash 357 Magnum 6 inch barrel. Trigger pull is 1.5 lbs. S/A, and 4.5 lbs. D/A, mainspring is factory, not sure about the rebound.

Anyone know what this is? Never saw one before. Date stamp inside of the grips says November 14 1985.

One guy told me it was a "Distinguished Combat Magnum" I know thats not right.

Another guy called it a 686 "Silhouette" never heard of that model.

Were many of these made? Is this a collectors piece? I would appreciate any info on this revolver.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
The four position front site makes it very desirable and they usually bring a premium when sold. Not sure how many were made with that configuration. Maybe considered scarce but not rare. I'm not aware of anything else peculiar to that revolver.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Model 686 is Distinguished Combat Magnum . Silhouette front sight is for competition shooting wood stocks offered on earlier models then changed to rubber Hogues. To save from a lot of two finger typing info can be found S&W 686 Wikipedia. I've seen a few silhouette .357 and .44 mags pictured on other forum. nice revolver !

·
Premium Member
12,723 Posts
I had one of these. They are very fine revolvers adapted for silhouette shooting competitions where you must rapidly change to different target distances. The front adjustable sight is somewhat unique. There were a number of these made. I don't consider them particularly rare.

They are great revolvers, but I find the balance of the six inch 686 a bit barrel heavy with the full under lug. This is why I eventually traded it for a four inch 686 with a friend.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger (pardon the pun), and brought it home. I am in pretty deep on it but on the other hand i won't have to spend a nickel on it to get it ready to do what I want it to do.

It came with an extra set of Pachmeier target grips, I will take the G. A.'s off and save them from getting beat up. Very happy wih it! It is insanely accurate!

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Sweet 686. I looked at a 586 with the same front sight last year but didn't get it due to some finish issues. Congrats!:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts