Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20160414_093046.jpg
I need some help identifying an old revolver that belonged to my father,
On the top of it, there are dates (Oct 6 01, dec 17 01, feb 6 08, sep 14 09, dec 02 14). Above the dates it reads Smith & Wesson springfield Mass PaTd.
when you open cylinder there are four numbers (3568).
On the side of the barrel on one side it says smith & Wesson and the other side it says 232 Long CTG ?.
Attached is a photo. If someone could share info about this gun, I would appreciate it. I am saving for my son and would like to know it's worth and how to check the serial number.
I am new to this forum and posting. Please excuse any mistakes.

·
Premium Member
18,270 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! What you have there is a S&W .32 Hand Ejector from the 1920's or earlier. You'll have to take off the grips to see the SN which is stamped on the bottom of the grip frame. Give the serial number to us and we can narrow down the shipping date.

The grips that are on it are round to square butt extension grips originally made for a .32 Regulation Police or .22 Heavy Frame Target revolver. Your gun has been refinished in nickel at some point in its life which removes any collector interest and reduces the value. However, these guns are fun shooters. I'd say it is worth approximately $250 if the action and bore are good. With original grips, it should look like the one below:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Here's what I can tell you for sure from its features that I can see, some already correctly mentioned by Guy above:

It's not a 32 Regulation Police model.
You have a 32 Hand Ejector made after 1906, but before 1927.
It has a 4 1/4" barrel.
Your gun has been re-finished with nickel plating.
The number you provided is a factory assembly # which does not help identify your revolver or its age.
The grips are the Regulation Police style from after WW II, therefore are not original to your gun, and the back of the right stock is stamped with a serial # that does not match the serial # of the gun.

I need the serial from one of the following 5 locations to identify the age of your gun:

NOTE: Observing serial #s for accuracy or even existence, requires magnification, bright light, and an attitude that they are there!

1. Gun butt - stamped on the bottom of the grip frame under the grips that cover the butt

2. Barrel - bottom of barrel or in extractor shroud

3. Yoke - on rear face visible thru a chamber with a flashlight

4. Extractor star - backside

5. Cylinder - rear face

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Aren't those guys good! Nice revolver.

welcome01

·
Registered
29 Posts
OK HONDO, I'm the simplton Lieutenant, fresh out of the academy, unfamilier with Apache ways, trying to learn from you - the Seasoned Scout & Tracker that I watch in amazement. So... I can see the front strap, so its not an RP - check. I can see the refinish (hammer, trigger, flat pins, etc.). I can see the standard barrel length. I can see the replacement RP stocks with silver medallions & I can see the 5th screw. BUT; why pre -1927? You're rolling your eyes at the other troops right now - I can see you.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I'm not Hondo but have a question:
Is, or is it Not stamped "Made in USA" on the lower right side of the frame? (hint-hint)

·
Premium Member
18,270 Posts
I think Rosebud has departed with the info she wanted. So, we probably aren't going to get the SN or whether it has a Made in USA stamp. So, what Hondo44, me and others noticed is that it has a mushroom shaped ejector rod knob. Those were on these guns and other S&W frames from 1903 until 1928. The importance of the Made in USA stamp is that it was implemented in 1922. So, we could further narrow down the shipping date with that info. Lacking that, we can only say for sure it shipped before 1928. I'll go a little out on a limb and say it shipped in 1921 or before since it has no cartouche stamp (trademark) on the left side of the frame. S&W suspended the trademark stamp...or rather, the government did after it took S&W over...during WWI and didn't resume until 1921 or so.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The handsome & dashing young Lieutenant whispers to himself; "Dang, the Ejector Rod Head, why didn't I think of that!"

Then Commands:

MOUNT UP MEN, "I" HAVE WORKED OUT THESE TRICKY APACHE SIGN HERE ON THE GROUND! FOLLOW ME!

FORE...WARD!!

·
Registered
669 Posts
sgtlundin

Welcome to the forum, And it's a very nice one indeed!

I agree with Absalom, above. It's the early version, the first model with the "High Speed (short) Action which qualifies it as a Pre Model 10. And has the 1st design High Speed Hammer nicknamed the 'fish hook' hammer.

Though it's actually just a firearm or a revolver: no more than a hammer, golf club, shovel, automobile, kitchen knife, etc., is a weapon, unless they're being used as such. Let's please not fall into the trap of the gun banners' attempt of 'speech control'!

Enjoy!
Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts