Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this gun lettered by The Historical Foundation which indicates it was shipped on December 10, 1913 to Schoverling, Daly and Gale Co.(S,D & G), New York City. It also indicates that the engraving was added after it left the factory. I read that S,D & G commissioned outside engraving shops to perform work, including ones owned and operated by L.D. Nimschke, Gustave Young, and Other Master Engravers. I realize that Nimschke and Young had passed prior to 1913. However, the engraving appears, to me, to be their style and thought the work was possibly done by someone who studied under one of them. I sent pictures to Master Engravers in Vermont and Florida and both thought the work was done by the Young family, possibly Eugene. I would appreciate any help identifying the engraver, if that is possible. I am a long time gun enthusiast and retired police officer, thirty-seven years of service, but a new member of Smith&Wesson Forums. I really enjoy reading posts from members and look forward to a long and active relationship with this community.

·
Registered
19,703 Posts
Maybe these guys could help as well?

FEGA publishes the “Engraver" magazine, a resource for and about firearm engravers and hand engraving. A quarterly full glossy 32 page magazine crammed full of how to articles along with engraver profiles and projects. It is the only publication in the world devoted solely to the art of hand engraving.

FEGA also maintains an historical database that includes hundreds of engravers, past and present. This database is continually being updated for future generations.

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,039 Posts
very nice - thank you for sharing this ! hopefull someone here can assist - a bit out of my area..

since you contacted the historical society, i assume you also asked about this on the blue forum ? there are several guys on that forum that have some in-depth knowledge on this topic..
blue forum Smith & Wesson Forum

@Lonnie Hill

·
Super Moderator
34,428 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Good looking revolver and with some fine engraving!

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Hey LH,

Wowser! That is BEAUTIFUL!

(now, need wipe drool off keyboard, again)

Thank you for posting that great looking revolver!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Mark! Still not having much luck identifying the engraver. I am pretty sure it is a New York style of engraving but that doesn't help me much. I don't want to break any Forum rules but can you email me at [email protected]. I am a new member so disregard that if it violates any rules.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts