Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I've been looking for schematics for this pistol so I can find replacement parts, but I don't have a proper model number to get very far.

First, the serial is 27xx. It's a top break 5 shot revolver. 3 1/2" barrel. It has the following patent information along the top barrel:

SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS U.S.A. PAT'D FEBY
20 TT. DEC 18, 77. MAY 11, 80. SEPT 11, 83. OCT 2, 83. TWO AUC 4 83

Any information would be helpful. It's missing its' handles, so the pics look a bit rough, my apologies.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
1st model Safety Hammerless, AKA "Lemon Squeezer". 5 shot it's probably .38 S&W (NOT .38 Special)

Looks to be missing its mainspring.

Reactions: Waidmann

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
^ what he said. Check out NC Ordnance for plastic reproduction grips. After that I recommend Hobby Lobby for a nice shadow box. Its a short drive from wall hanger to money pit. If you have to do it, best wishes and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the ID.

And it's worse than you thought on the 'missing' sideplate screws. It's there... sheared off in the hole. Luckily, I have a 'guy,' so I should be able to remedy that bit of misfortune.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
The side plate screw goes in the top rear hole on the side plate. It looks missing and not sheared off. The large hole in the center of the plate is for the hammer stud nut. It is missing. It screws onto the threaded post visible in the hole. Is this what you think to be the Sheared off screw?
Also, I'm not so sure about the caliber of your revolver. The cylinder looks too small to be a 38 and the front face of it looks to not go past the front of the trigger guard. The cylinder on a 38 will project past the end. Pretty sure yours is a 32 S&W, the old short centerfire case, not the newer 32 Long cartridge used in the hand ejectors.
Numrich gun parts has a schematic but looks to be out of both screws. They do have a main spring. You may be missing other parts. Try Jack First or even keeping an eye out on EBay for them.
If a 32, it's a very early 1st Model Safety Hammerless, made in 1888. Good luck in your search and welcome to the forum.
John

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Premium Member
18,480 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! What John^ said. What you need is Antique Firearms Assembly/Disassembly by David Chicoine. Get the Kindle edition as it is reasonably priced and you can put it on your smart phone as well as your laptop and desktop. Especially if you are going to acquire more like this. The hammer stud nut and screw from a Double Action should work. Where you likely will run into problems is the trigger return spring and grips.

·
Premium Member
18,480 Posts
Can't really say because I'm not familiar with that book. But I am familiar with Chicoine's books. They are good and that's why I recommend them. If you know both books and you can say one is better than the other, speak up!

Guy

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Can't really say because I'm not familiar with that book. But I am familiar with Chicoine's books. They are good and that's why I recommend them. If you know both books and you can say one is better than the other, speak up!

Guy
I haven't seen both, either. But this 5-vol. Gun Digest series is the best of it's kind I've seen, & I have others such as the 2-vol. NRA set. The S&W models included in Woods' book are these: 1880, New Departure, 1905, M. 29, M. 31.

Of course, none of these will help if the missing parts can't be found.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts