Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was recently handed down a .38 s&w top break revolver. From the information I have been able to find it seems to be a pre ww2 pistol. But I cant seem to find much information. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
That is known a "Perfected" model 38 Double action and is chambered for the old 38 S&W cartridge, not the longer 38 Special. 54900 of them were made between 1909 - 1920. Neat gun, it has both the top break barrel latch and the thumb piece lock. 38 S&W is still available, though hard to find, and safe to use in you gun if it is in good operating condition.

John

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
Neat gun, it has both the top break barrel latch and the thumb piece lock.

John
I guess that odd feature is interesting, but it reminds me of folks who think they need both suspenders AND a belt to keep their pants up. What I like about top-breaks is the speed with which they can be opened & cases ejected; what's the point of having to manipulate the thumb-latch at the same time, unless it was really needed as a safety precaution with a high-pressure cartridge...which .38 S&W certainly isn't.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Nice older S&W. I'd add one to my little collection if I got the chance. But then, I do wear a belt with my suspenders. Seems to help the pain from having five vertebrae broken in a fall.
Cliff

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
But then, I do wear a belt with my suspenders. Seems to help the pain from having five vertebrae broken in a fall.
Cliff
I sleep is a Sparthos heavy-duty back brace, which I also wear daily under my pants. But if I've got to do some heavy work like snow-shoveling, on top of that I wear a Mueller super heavy-duty brace. For 6 months several years ago, I wore a lace-up orthopedic corset, but can get along without it now. If you've got that kind of pain (which I know well, believe me), you need something a lot more serious than an ordinary belt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts