Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given some old guns from my grandfather and one of them was a .38. It has a 5 shot cylinder and where the cylinder swings out there is a number 2 printed, below the 2 are the numbers 59459. on one side of the frame, just above the trigger guard is a Smith and Wesson trademark. On the other side of the from the trademark and under the cylinder, right by a screw, 'made in USA Marcas Registradas Smith and Wesson Springfield, mass' is stamped into the frame. The barrel length is 2 inches and on each side of the grip seems to be another s&w trademark in metal. on the metal where the grips connect to the frame, the serial number is 120415. I have had no luck finding what model this is or anything else about it really. would appreciate some help.

· Premium Member
13,464 Posts
can you post a photo?

· Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yes, pictures will help. What you describe sounds like a .38 Chiefs Special from 1957. In 1958, S&W began stamping the Chiefs Special with the Model 36 model number in the yoke cut where the 2 and 59459 numbers are now. It should be stamped .38 S&W SPCL CTG on the barrel which means it chambers .38 Special cartridges (CTG).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.