Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
got this smith and wesson revolver, inside the crane its faded a little but says MOD 14-2 and has a serial number inside crane also and on the bottom of the butt of the handle saying K623xxx. does anyone know what year or kind of gun this is i try looking it up but cant find an exact match. also it has a 4 inch barrel. the front is quite heavy. i weighed the gun at something of 34 oz. it has a swing out cylinder with 6 shots, adjustable sights i would assume. im not into guns at all thats why im asking for help. so if i need to give more info please say so. mod 14-2.jpg full body picture.jpg full body pic.jpg

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey 18,

Welcome to :wlogo:

Way to go!

Pics of a fine 4" M-14! Most were 6", but some few were shipped with 4" barrels.

Similar to the M-15. Most were 4", with some shipped with 6" barrels..

Get you a big box of 38 ammo...take it for a "spin"..........down to the range!!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey 18,

Welcome to :wlogo:

Way to go!

Pics of a fine 4" M-14! Most were 6", but some few were shipped with 4" barrels.

Similar to the M-15. Most were 4", with some shipped with 6" barrels..

Get you a big box of 38 ammo...take it for a "spin"..........down to the range!!

Later, Mark
i figured that but i looked up the serial number or tried to and couldnt find any connection to those models. i even looked in the so called BIBLE and couldnt link it its like totally skipped or something

·
Registered
22,804 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Nice old revolver you got there. We love pics! Range report please after you take it out to try. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Unusual gun. Can't remember the story, but back in the 60's, S&W made up some 4" heavy barrel Model 14's like that for a dealer out of Ohio iirc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unusual gun. Can't remember the story, but back in the 60's, S&W made up some 4" heavy barrel Model 14's like that for a dealer out of Ohio iirc.
you mean the DAYTON guns? cause i found something like that but just wasnt sure i mean the gun is very used as you can see by the pics. like holstering marks and such DaytonGuns.jpg

·
Registered
13,707 Posts
Holster wear gives any handgun character. Safe queens get no wear.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Texas!

The Model 14 is known as the Target Masterpiece. Prior to 1957/58 S&W just gave names like "Chief's Special" to their various lines of guns. The Model 15 is the Combat Masterpiece. Yours has the 4" heavy barrel (no taper towards the front sight) which improved recoil control. Beyond that and the approximate ship date, not much more we can tell you. S&W assigned serial numbers to guns as the came off the various assembly lines (note the plural). So the number immediately prior to yours might have been a Combat Masterpiece, or the M&P Hand Ejector (now Model 10), and the one right after to a Model 28 Highway Patrolman. Best we can do is an approximate date. S&W their own selves would be able to get closer.

Another option is an Historians Letter, runs $75. It will tell you when shipped, to whom it was shipped (generally a sporting goods store), and in what configuration it left the factory (blued, magna stocks, heavy barrel). Unless you suspect substantial historical value to be revealed from the letter, or you're just insatiably curious, most folks don't go after one.

Don't fret over lack of knowledge. I guarantee every living soul in this forum was in those very same shoes. I still got a lot more than just my toes in 'em, today!

Please pull up a stump, set a spell. Sounds like you've done a lot of research - please feel free to share some of that with us!

·
Premium Member
18,762 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass!

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
When did Model 14's come with a Baughman style front site? Looks more like a Model 15 to me.

·
Premium Member
11,531 Posts
welcome01 to the forum. You've a nice one there.

·
Premium Member
18,762 Posts
• Special order of 1040 with a 4” Heavy barrel on a Square butt frame w/ Red Ramp front sight reported shipped to Dayton Police Supply serial number range of K623337-K624496

(SCSW, 4th Ed., Page 211).

·
Super Moderator
19,408 Posts
Sweet pistol you have there, and it's base history is well documented.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
I understand the serial number, but does the front sight have a red insert? I can't see it when I try to blow up the picture.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts