Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have recently found a Smith and Wesson .38 special during a house cleanout and I was hoping to get any information on it.

On the butt of the gun, it has serial number #499481, this number is also on the cylinder, and below the barrel. There is another number on what I think is called the yoke of the gun which is #50647.

On the top of the barrel, it says smith and Wesson Springfield mass. USA patented feb.6.06 sept. 14. 09 dec. 29. 14

I can provide more pictures if necessary, thanks in advance for any and all help.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
The gun was in much worse condition when I found it but thought it was worth saving, even if it cant fire.
Impressive cleaning job. You can find videos on You Tube demonstrating how to remove the sideplate, which would allow you to determine how badly rusted the internals are--maybe not as badly as the exterior. First thing to do before attempting that (as the sideplate is probably rusted to the frame) is soak the frame in a penetrating oil or Auto Trans fluid for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The extractor works fine and had no rust at all actually, I placed a screw to allow the solution I used for removing the rust to hit it just to make sure though.

If anyone has any ideas on how to clean the gun further I would love to know. Also, thanks for all the help and I assume the answer to my question from Waidmann, if there is any more info you could tell me or where I can get I would be happy to read and learn more about it.:D

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
The extractor works fine and had no rust at all actually, I placed a screw to allow the solution I used for removing the rust to hit it just to make sure though.
What solution was that? Something containing phosphoric acid (Naval Jelly)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a product called Metal Rescue not sure if it contained phosphoric acid or not. I submerged it for about 3 days which removed most if not all the rust, but I let it sit in there for a week before taking it out and cleaning the cylinder and such. And I cleaned the grips with just water and a brush.
Heres a link if you're interested https://www.amazon.com/Workshop-Hero-WH003226-Concentrate-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B06XBS66R8

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
I used a product called Metal Rescue not sure if it contained phosphoric acid or not.
Evidently not, as label says "no acids" & "non-toxic." If that's true, I'd sure like to know it works--sounds like a miracle product! Wonder how much it would cost to buy enough to drench my "winter car"?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts