Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spotted a no dash 66 4" at a local pawn shop and picked it up. It is a little rough and beat up. The cylinder is hard to get to pop open (really hard) and it pops open like it was hung on something. I checked and made sure the ejector rod was tight and it was.

I also noticed that it seemed to have a good deal of end shake (just going by eye, I didn't have my feeler gauges).

The pawn shop had the revolver marked $299 I showed them its issues and told them I might take it as a project for $100, they told me they had $225 in it. I told them they where into it VERY deep, the manager agreed and said he was going to have to see if he could get it fixed.

So I am looking for opinions as to what might be wrong and whether it is worth $225 if I could get it for that?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes, a no-dash 66 is well worth the $299 price tag. sounds like they might go $250 if you take it and repair it yourself.

The last clean no dash 66 I saw on Gunbroker went for over $500 without box or docs.

A scratched stainless finish is easily repaired with some Mothers Mag Wheel polish and a Scotchbrite pad.

I had a 66 behave as you describe some time back. The small steel pin in the shroud, which connects with the end of the ejector rod, when the cylinder is closed, should have an angle cut to it. Check the end of your ejector rod and make sure there are no burs or high spots on it. Check that pin in the end of the shroud to see that the inward (twards the shroud wall) cut is present and not worn.

Then open the cylinder and while observing the end of the ejector rod that connects with the pin, depress the cylinder center pin fully. The bottom of the center pin should extrude to the very end of the ejector rod. If they are not flush at full depression of the center pin, that could be your problem. Hope this helps. Regards 18DAI.

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
You are getting one heck of a great deal if you can get it for $250 you're trying for.
Even at $300-350 it's nearly a steal. Good thing they aren't trying to auction it off.
I just sold a Model 66-3 for $600 with the box and all the original stuff inside.
You will do well to buy it and get it to a gunsmith and have it fixed.
If you find another deal like that & you can't buy it, tell them to hold it for couple of days till you get paid, and post it here real quick. Somebody here will snatch it up, then everybody ends up happy.

Go get it and post some pics...... REAL FAST!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand what you guys are saying, that is what I thought when I spotted the 66 on the wall with the $299 tag on it.
I have to add though it is rough... Someone that thought they where crafty attempted to "clean up" the S&W logo and kinda ugly'd it a little, not to mention pitting around the grips and dinks here and there all over (like it had been dropped a time or 2). BUT it is a no dash 66........

All that being said I went back after work to talk to the fellow, he and the revolver where gone. I suspect he took it to someone for them to look at it. I will call tomorrow to check in with them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts