Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a problem with loose dogs in neighborhood. I did shoot one last year with a 9mm but cops were not happy with me. Would a 22 mag shotshell be sufficient to shoot at one? Not asking if it would kill it, would it work to get it away from me and my dog? Has anyone used it? Thinking this would be safer at close range and not cause a stray round hitting a house or something else.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Maybe rubber shot .410's?

Are they strays or feral dogs?

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talked to cops this morning and they liked the idea of shot shell. Very little chance of injuring bystander or private property. I will be using it in a 22mag Ruger LCR.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
If they are large feral dogs a 22 shot shell will just piss them off!

A can of BEAR spray would be better unless this gonna be a "best caliber for wild dog thread" :D

I live in a residential area and don't have a real bad dog problem, but I carry a can of mace and a gun when walking our little fluff ball doggy. When we had the JR Terror I did not worry about him.;)

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Problem is that a .22 mag shot shell is just as loud as a 9mm going off. .22 mag shot shell will not kill the dog but wound it and that can make the animal aggressive. If you don't own a supressor then you have the problem of noise. Getting some .22 ( shorts or CB Mini caps ) would be a possibility but you will have to execute very accurate shots to the brain cavity to destroy the dog.

That being said : i find it hard to believe that your area does not have some king of animal control authority to assist you rather than killing or wounding a dog. I might suggest setting dog traps and removing the dog that way. Safer for all around. and If you to get a dog that just happens to be some one pet , by trapping there is a chance that they can get the dog back in tack in case it just accidentally got away. A lot to thing about here. Moral obligations. I hate to shoot any dog unless its aggressive to me and my family or my other animals. Then I dispatch the dog, 9mm or whatever.. Call the police myself and tell them the dog " attacked" and was dispatched preserving my safety or property.

Just my suggestions.

Layne12gun

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We do have animal control but they will not come out unless it has attacked. Had to put down my dog 2 years ago because she was attacked. Had to shoot a neighbors dog last year in street because it was trying to attack my new dog. These are not feral dogs, they are pets! Owners just let them out the door. I live in a small town, lots of pitbulls. These dogs seem aggressive to other dogs. I do not want to see my dog attacked again. Also carry pepper spray but on windy days I will not use it and some of these dogs not affected by it. Cops don't want projectiles being fired and hitting personal property. I also carry a 9mm for CCW.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Wasp spray - hillbilly mace. Then a 9mm in case real protection is needed. 22 magnum snake shot won't stop a charging dog but will blind & injure it resulting in an animal cruelty charge. Discharging a firearm in city limits doesn't change if it's snake shot instead of slugs.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Get yourself a .177 air rifle and some pellets and use that. No noise, great deterrent. Out here if a dog is running loose it don't last long, it gets shot. We keep our 2 in the yard and if going for a walk down the road, on a retractable leash.

Last night there was a huge coon on the front porch rating the cat food. my 45 Kimber sent him to the 'promised land'. Took off, tracked him with the crimson trace laser and pow.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I second the idea of wasp spray. Will travel several feet in a concentrated stream and wind is not much of an issue unless it is very strong. As an alternate, I would use a shot shell in the 9 you carry if they function properly. Still have serious back up with HP rounds if needed. Don't want to ever shoot a dog, but you have to protect yourself and your dog.

·
Super Moderator
32,731 Posts
I would always have a gun but wasp spray would be good to try. I have heard it is pretty effective and if you have it in your own yard just claim you are spraying wasps!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts