Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I have a pistol thst I cleaned snd oiled and put away 23 years ago. Now I want to get it ready to fire again. I want to get suggestions on what to use to do a preliminary cleaning
to make sure the oil left on and in the weapon is not gumming up the works or turned to varnish. After prepping the the gun I will lube the gun using Weapon Shield gun oil.
Any suggestions?
Thsnks

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
I'd recommend taking the grips off the gun and immersing it in a 50/50 mixture of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Leave it that way for about a week. Then blow it out with aerosol brake carb parts cleaner. Wipe it down and you should be good to go.

Guy

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Probably just a thorough spray out with brake cleaner and a re-lube then.

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
Is the action gummed up? I would just spray some Balistol into the action through the hammer slot and up through the trigger opening. Wouldn't take the side plate off unless it's really gummed up. Just spray and work the action. Hopefully you never sprayed WD40 into it. WD40 will gum the action up. I take it your referring to your revolver?

·
Premium Member
13,722 Posts
Depending on storage conditions, a simple cleaning may be all that's needed if the lubricant hasn't turned to gunk and it's generally operating smoothly.

If that's the case, a standard cleaning (I like Hoppes basic products) and perhaps removal of the grips using the exact screw head on your screwdriver and cleaning under them is warranted.

If you do go the soak route, be sure to properly lubricate after cleaning. I like light preserving hydrophobic greases on sliding surfaces, and preserving gun oil on rotating surfaces. I use RemOil spray preserving gun oil on external surfaces, and wipe down prior to storage.

You may find few if any issues beyond dried and congealed lubricant.

If there is any corrosion, and particularly red oxide rust, use well oiled 0000 steel or bronze wool carefully on a well oiled rust surface to remove it. It will not harm bluing unless you rub too aggressively.

Be careful to clean and oil the barrel and rifling. Verify the firing pin is free in it's channel.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
It's a Polymer semi auto. There is no need to "soak" anything!

The lubricants you used are just fine. Field strip I. Run a solvent soaked patch through the barrel and go shoot it!
Spray the action with gun scrubber if you want, a few drops of lube

1 - 9 of 9 Posts