Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
35 some odd years ago, I sold my Colt AR because I needed cash. I hated to do it. Cash not an issue now.

I have a bit of Welsh blood and mostly German. Translate that as cheap, Scotch cheap.

I would like tp buy an AR. Lower end. I gave my single Smith auto pistol. A Walther P22, to a nephew. Branded or imported by Smith. Uninspiring. My S&W universe is post 1950 SW revolvers. Does SW make other stuff?

Ruger AR 15 or SW Sport are what I am looking at. I like Rugers. Windham and a few sub $1000.00 guns appeal. I can afford more, but just want a more basic rifle.:cool:

Maybe a red dot sight on it.

I have my Mini 14 and 30. Love them, but there is perhaps ten percent of choices to make changes compared to an AR.

I do not care about fancy stuff. Just a basic reliable package. Before the Libo-crats in the state of Oregano use their near super majority to cram it down our throats. I will be pleased to ignore and refuse their BS.

What do you say bargain shoppers? And no, I do not frequent Wal-Mart.
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Either one are fine rifles and will serve you well for many years.
Don't know if you have a Cabela's near you but they have pretty fair prices right now. (that is unless the "Dumb-o-Crats" start beating their Assault Weapon's Ban Drums Again)

Semiautomatic Centerfire Rifles from Top Brands : Cabela's

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RD,

There is a new Cabelas in Tualatin, just North. I have $400 some odd in points on Cabelas card. So, this will be a discount gun.

Just the way I like it. 😜

·
Premium Member
10,258 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Not really a fan per say, but shot M-16's during long time in military. The S&W M&P 15 sport would be my 1st choice if I were to buy AR platform. All it's missing is forward assist button (rarely ever used one on M-16) and bolt dust cover (which only stays closed if you're not using the gun). IMHO all stock AR triggers feel the same.

Reactions: s&wtoter

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Just build it a little at a time with the parts you pick. You can get good lowers for as little as $50.
Great advice!

Buy a registered lower ($50 to 200), then add parts when you want. Putting one together is very easy, and you can assemble one exactly to your liking and budget. The last AR I assembled was this suppressed 300 AAC Blackout. Every component was a specific choice of many available options.
View attachment 52011
It has a Seekins upper, lower, Giesle trigger, Magpul stock, Noveske barrel, Liberty Leonidas integral suppressor, etc, etc. With all the high end options, and being suppressed, it was close to $3K .
View attachment 52012
This one on the other hand, is just a basic Colt AR Carbine. No modifications. It was purchased during one of the run ups in price when Obama said, "assault weapon". The same basic rifle is available now from many manufacturers and is considerably less, with no loss of performance or accuracy. In fact, the newer versions are probably improved. You can get a variation of this for well under $1K.

The difference between high end custom and stock? Esoteric mostly, some functional, but both will put a small piece of lead WAY down range accurately, and reliably. It's all what you want, and how much you want to spend.

But once you have the registered lower, the clock stops ticking. For now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I will start off by saying that I am a huge Colt fan. I know there are other that will say that you are just paying for the name and that you can buy or build a better AR for less money, but I still prefer the a Colt. I tend to treat every weapon purchase as an investment and consider not only the initial cost, but the potential resale value. The reason I prefer Colts is that they will always be sought after and even more so with the current financial dilemma of the company (filed Chapter 11 back in June 2015). I know the Colt brand will always be around, but who is to say if they get an investor that they won’t want to have their name attached the Colt brand. In a sense changing the Colt brand to Colt/????. Never the less even though the gun specs will never change the name may. This will probably make newer Colts a less desired brand. What you get when you buy a Colt AR-15 is a weapon that is a true Mil-Spec. It has passed multiple quality control processes from tolerances of the parts, shot-peened bolt, type of steel used to make the barrel, high pressure testing of the bolt and barrel, proper staked gas key, magnetic particle inspection of the bolt and barrel, 5.56 NATO chamber, etc. Not all manufactures can say that and if so are their standards as high as Colt. There are many of manufactures that state they are mil-spec, but to my knowledge there are currently two companies that own the AR-15 platform mil-specs and are forced to adhere to it (Colt and FNH). I’m not saying that other manufactures don’t make quality weapons, but you know what you are buying when you buy a Colt.
After going through my last Colt Armorer School they mentioned that Colts with a Wilson barrel (W) stamped on the barrel use a lapping process to take out imperfections in the rifling in the bore. Another plus for Colt ARs equipped with a Wilson barrel.
Check out gunbroker and compare prices
No matter which brand you choose to go with things to consider before buying an AR
Do you want it chambered in .223 or 5.56mm NATO?
What length barrel and rate of twist do you prefer?
Do you want a flat top or a fixed carrying handle?
Do you want for a sight radius? Carbine verses Mid-length verses Full Length sight radius. Carbine are about 6 inches less sight radius than the full length rifle, which can effect accuracy.
Do you prefer a free-floating barrel, which can improve accuracy?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm happy with the $650 M&P15 Sport to which I added a 3-9x38 scope and tactical handguard. Similar to the following picture.

M&P.png

Although I would have preferred the more expensive flat-top Mosberg Hunter with it's 20" barrel and floated handguard.

Mosberg Hunter.png

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I have to jump on the Colt bandwagon also. I bought an LE6920 when the prices dropped and couldn't be happier. Much like Smith wheelguns these things breed like rabbits in the safe. I bought a few more and built a few more but the Colt stands out as the finest. As most have said these are kit guns and you will surely add some preferred parts or accessories. I added a Wilson trigger, free float handguard, and 1-4X scope. I don't want my rifle to look like a decorated Christmas tree. Using your $400 in Cabela's points would take the sting out of buying a higher end arm.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Kind of hard to go wrong w/ either Ruger or S&W Sport. I ran 6,000 rounds through a new S&W Sport, right out of the box w/out oiling or anything to see how long it would take to start fouling... still have no idea. The forward assist is a fix to a non-problem, on the rare occasion when a dirty bore prevents the bolt from closing bumping the bolt w/ a finger works just as well. The only time I've ever seen this was when a friend shot a ton of cheap dirty reloaded ammo through his AR & didn't clean it for several years. Complete uppers are available from Midway USA ($345) & lowers available all over.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
There's so many AR receivers , parts kits and complete rifles/carbines out there , it gets confusing. And models/options are seemingly endless. Colt of course is good , so is Armalite , S&W , Ruger , Windham , Stag , and of course top Euro-brands like H&K and Sig-Sauer.

There's a lot more lesser known brands too. Some good , some not so good. Just walk thru any gunshow and you'll see tables full of rifle brands you never heard of , but their hucksters will swear they have super-natural qualities.
Companies/dealers/distributors can get receivers made with their own name on them if they order enough. Again some are good quality forged 7075 aluminum and machined to mil-spec , some are cast junk. Too often they round out their guns with the cheapest imported parts available.

Windham , which used to be the original Bushmaster make a very good rifle at a very fair price. Still probably one of the best deals.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Great advice!

Buy a registered lower ($50 to 200), then add parts when you want. Putting one together is very easy, and you can assemble one exactly to your liking and budget. The last AR I assembled was this suppressed 300 AAC Blackout. Every component was a specific choice of many available options.
View attachment 52011
It has a Seekins upper, lower, Giesle trigger, Magpul stock, Noveske barrel, Liberty Leonidas integral suppressor, etc, etc. With all the high end options, and being suppressed, it was close to $3K .
View attachment 52012
This one on the other hand, is just a basic Colt AR Carbine. No modifications. It was purchased during one of the run ups in price when Obama said, "assault weapon". The same basic rifle is available now from many manufacturers and is considerably less, with no loss of performance or accuracy. In fact, the newer versions are probably improved. You can get a variation of this for well under $1K.

The difference between high end custom and stock? Esoteric mostly, some functional, but both will put a small piece of lead WAY down range accurately, and reliably. It's all what you want, and how much you want to spend.

But once you have the registered lower, the clock stops ticking. For now.
How do you like the seekins lower?

·
Premium Member
18,405 Posts
I have to second the Delton. I built one before and it was a sweet shooter. They're running a special right now . You can probably build one for between $500 and $600.

·
Super Moderator
19,294 Posts
Take a good look at the rifles STAG Arms has to offer. They're very well built and at great prices. For my money the best AR I've purchased was the Stag in my safe. The only thing I changed on it was the flash hider. I swapped it out with a zero recoil, forward blast, muzzle brake.
Starting at $750 (MSRP) I don't think you'll get more gun for the same amount of money anywhere. You can buy these rifles through many sellers on gunbroker.com and usually save $100 or more with a little patience

https://www.stagarms.com/right-handed-rifles/?sort=priceasc

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
How do you like the seekins lower?
At the time the 300 was assembled, Seekins was the first choice of available receivers. Tolerances were on spec and all cuts and assembly points matched perfectly. Also, Seekins manufactures just down the road from us in Lewiston ID. When I had an issue with the key hole cut foregrip while trying to mount an accessory, Seekins swapped out the that rail for a new one. Within a week.

I'd use them again.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Lowers are what carries the "serial number"...but are basically a bang switch. Like some of the other folks have said, colt builds a fine rifle.
But for a basic AR...I seriously suggest investing more in the upper. Adams Arms runs some blemished piston uppers on sale about Christmas time for about $400-$450. Put that on top of whatever bangswitch lower...and you've got a pretty great rifle that runs a lot cleaner than most.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts