Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,086 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Mike, all S&W revolvers have this step or shoulder in the chambers. It is bored from the rear face of the cylinder to the diameter and length of the cartridge case it chambers. The throat of the cylinder is bored to the diameter of the bullet. In your case, .357" which is the standard bullet diameter for .38 Special and .357 Magnum. You can see what I mean in this picture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Thanks! Can you tell from the photo if there’s lead buildup too? I recently shot lower velocity wadcutter rounds.
Please look at this next picture which is of the other end of the cylinder. Can you see the very narrow etching relatively close to where the round is seated? What is that?
Thanks, in advance!
Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,086 Posts
I'm not certain what etching you're referring to. The extractor star meets the chamber with a half-moon-shaped interface. Is that what you are referring to? Yes, there could be leading and soot buildup around the shoulder and in the rifling. Get some Blue Wonder gun bore cleaner and it will remove all that without affecting the bluing. Be careful if you use other formulations as they WILL remove the bluing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I clearly see from your photo what you mean. I’m thinking I have lead buildup there from wadcutters. Is this the stuff you‘s use? Is it easy to use? Thanks! It’s clear there’s a lot I don’t know, yet. I‘ve been a black powder shooter, mostly NSSA and NMLRA. Love shooting thIs Victory revolver from WW2.
Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner 4 oz Tube

·
Premium Member
21,086 Posts
Yes, that is the cleaner. I cannot tell if you have leading but suspect you might. Blue Wonder has instructions on the tube and also has videos on YouTube. I recommend viewing some of their videos to see how easy it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. Thanks! Can you tell from the photo if there’s lead buildup too? I recently shot lower velocity wadcutter rounds.
Please look at this next picture which is of the other end of the cylinder. Can you see the very narrow etching relatively close to where the round is seated? What is that?
Thanks, in advance!
Mike
Morning Wiregrassguy. Could you take a picture of the other end of your cylinder for me? i have a silvery color at the throat cut on the Navy.

·
Premium Member
21,086 Posts
Well, this is about the best shot I have of the front of the chambers. You should not have any silvering there. That is probably lead buildup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts