Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went out to the range today. Wanted to play with my new Henry ... which Broke .. and I wanted to work on my shooting with my 686 plus some more. I am a sharp shooter with my Ruger but the 686 came from the factory with a funky hitch which I managed to fix and .. the trigger pull is just different.

Today was a happy day for me and the Smith. I have been taking it out every night and dry firing it somewhere around 30 times .. not so much to smooth it out any but to focus on the front sight and trigger pull. Of course it has the benefit of doing both.

So what i learned was .. you do have to be more on your game as far as trigger pull. Pulling straight back which works with virtually all my other handguns for years pulls the smith right. Now I am talking slightly at 10 yds but .. its still moves right. Its a fairly heavy trigger pull and the smith does have what I will call a 2 stage pull.

Now ... If I curl my finger on the pull, I don't let the trigger get into my first joint but set it behind the pad of my finger like I do other guns and follow the trigger out .... JOY!! The new grips really help as well! I had nice hand placement. My targets mostly looked like this except with more bullets creating a larger single hole but I did get a pic of just 7 rounds at 10 yds. Could it be better .. yea sure ... but I am pretty thrilled with that because I can make a 1.5 inch hole with most of my other handguns and was struggling a bit with the smith.

Curl the finger, dont stage and follow the trigger out and I can hold a nice group reliably. This was with Rem SP .357 but I did shoot a bunch of 38 and some of my reloaded 357. This group was shot one right behind the other with no pause between. Fairly fast.

S&W target.jpg

nice day at the range!! well except for my brand new rifle breaking :(

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Nice shooting... curious minds want to know, what kind of Henry do you have and what broke?

The good news is Henry customer service is tops, bar none.

My new Golden Boy that I bought as a Christmas gift for myself last year had a finish quality issue on the receiver cover that I didn't see in the subdued lighting at Bass Pro. Needless to say I was pretty bummed out when I got it home and discovered the defect... looked like hell when the light hit it. I sent an email with pics directly to Anthony Imperato expressing my disappointment with my Christmas gift to myself... I got a reply back later that day with a sincere apology saying the rifle should never made it past the quality inspection, a new receiver cover was in my hands a few days later.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice shooting... curious minds want to know, what kind of Henry do you have and what broke?
I picked up the gun this morning from the LGS. Got what I thought was a pretty good deal from Cheaper than Dirt. I brought it home gave it a good once over, read the manual, cycled it a few times and ran a tube of dummies through the action to make sure it fed.

The gun is GORGEOUS .. and I love the heft. I havent shot a long gun in probably 9 years. Thankfully when I was a troop in Training a thousand years ago there were no optics .. just a peep sight so the Henry sights felt fine. The action smoothed out after a couple of rounds and was smooth as silk. I was freagin Digging this rifle.

I have wanted one for at least 7 years but I just couldnt justify the cost and kept putting it off and this year my awesome wife said .. lets just get it .. we are not going to live forever.

I went to an indoor range because it was raining and I figured since I hadnt shot rifle in so long I wouldnt need to go out any further than 25 yds anyway.This is about 35 rounds standing with no rest at 25 yds

first henry target.jpg

I was loving it!! I used Remington HTP SP 158 gr.

I then loaded another tube and .. and I had a double feed and under the gun was this

Henry extractor.JPG

BUMMER! Didnt spoil my mood though . the gun is all that and a bag of chips and I am sure somehow I will get this square. I do work on my own revolvers and semi autos but at this point I really dont know anything about this and wonder if I should just try to reinstall this or does it need to go back. There was some chipping around the extractor sooooo

Henry bolt.JPG

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
Send it back to Henry, their service is excellent.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
806 Posts
Nice shooting! Very unusual for Henry, but they will put it right quickly and completely, I have no doubt. I have a Big Boy in 357 and it is a joy to look at and shoots flawlessly all day.

As far as the 686 this has me puzzled. My 686 came out of the box with the smoothest and lightest trigger of any gun I own. No staging, no effort. Actually when I hand it to anyone else I warn them to not touch the trigger until they are on target. It's almost too light. I think there may be something amiss on your example.

Thanks for sharing a good day at the range, and congrats on not letting a parts failure spoil your day.

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
Your experience with S&W DA revolvers is much different from mine. Admittedly, I have shot S&Ws a lot before shooting a DA Ruger. What struck me was the loooong trigger pull of the Ruger. It's like the older long action S&Ws. I know it's not that much longer but it does matter to me. It's like transitioning from a SA 1911 to a DA striker fired semi auto,, it takes a couple magazines to get back the trigger finger.

Reactions: Leo918

·
Premium Member
12,660 Posts
The two most important fundamentals of pistol shooting (upon which correct practice will give you the most results) are trigger control and sight picture (within which sight alignment is the most important).

Here's the chart which I find useful for working on trigger pull:

Correction.jpg

·
Registered
732 Posts
That does not look broke. The spring goes in the spring hole, the small end of the pin goes in the spring, that combo gets pushed down and the extracter round part goes into it's hole. The pin pushes against the extracter on the flat part behind the round part.

I realize that may not be a great description of directions but that's not broken. It's actually a very easy reassembly.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That does not look broke. The spring goes in the spring hole, the small end of the pin goes in the spring, that combo gets pushed down and the extracter round part goes into it's hole. The pin pushes against the extracter on the flat part behind the round part.

I realize that may not be a great description of directions but that's not broken. It's actually a very easy reassembly.
That is a pretty good descrption. I am just concerned that it all fell out and is it something likely to happen at each outing

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yea that wouldn't be good. I see a couple marks on the bolt where the parts all go, that is something to be concerned about. That bolt should be harder metal than that looks.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as the 686 this has me puzzled. My 686 came out of the box with the smoothest and lightest trigger of any gun I own. No staging, no effort. Actually when I hand it to anyone else I warn them to not touch the trigger until they are on target. It's almost too light. I think there may be something amiss on your example.

Thanks for sharing a good day at the range, and congrats on not letting a parts failure spoil your day.
Forgive me if this is an ignorant question ... but are you referring to single action? I very very rarely shoot single action but I have tried it in dry fire and it is super light and clean. Its the double that is heavy and stagey. I know longer own them but I had a 6 shot 686 and a 629 and both were very smooth, far smoother than this guy but I wouldnt have called them light DA. I also shot both of those better than this one but I spent more time shooting them.

I think I just need more time behind the trigger. I tried the Wilson spring kit and it felt great but after a few cylinders I started to get light strikes and that wont do with a carry gun so I put the original back in. I was tempted to try the Wolf spring but .. after this last outing I am feeling more like its a wear in and Alex needs to get better thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts