Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I prefer to carry my six inch 28-2 in a El Paso Tom Threepersons holster. It has a useful forward cant. Just about ideal. For my four inch 28-2, I prefer a Bianchi 111 Cyclone holster. It can be used either side draw or strong side. I prefer it side draw. This works out great when carrying a rifle during deer season. Also nice when driving a car, truck, etc. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Thanks for all of your N Frame holster input. It has been helpful. I recently ordered and received a Wright Leather Works pancake for my 629 3" and it works well. It will carry better once the cooler weather arrives, where I can wear a vest and/or a jacket. It is a surprise that this style of holster can actually hold and help conceal this large frame revolver. I also ordered a horsehide 1 3/4" belt from Kramer Leather in Tacoma, which should help support the weight.
How bout a photo?

Kevin

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Don't carry N frames as they are way to heavy for concealed.
Me too. The biggest thing I routinely carry is a K-frame snub and even that is rare.

I have a nice Astra Terminator that would be the only N-frame that would even be worth considering for concealed carry.
But with a 7-shot 357 titanium snub and a 5 shot 44 special that both weigh nearly a pound less than the Astra, it isn't even a serious consideration.

Just curious, why would anyone want/need to conceal an N-frame? The only reason I can think of for choosing an N-frame would be if the 44 magnum was necessary. I can only see that caliber as necessary for grizzly bear defense, and in the woods concealment isn't usually a consideration. In WA open carry is legal even in urban areas, so no need to conceal where bears live. For 2 legged predators a 357 or 44 special are more than adequate. So why try to carry an N-frame concealed?

Now, if you are looking for open carry options, that's a different story altogether. If that is the question then I have a couple of Hunter brand and an S&W brand holster that work well for my N-frames. My favorite is a Guide Gear chest rig/bandolier combo. No worries about having a 2-3 pound revolver trying to pull your pants down. ;)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
...Just curious, why would anyone want/need to conceal an N-frame? The only reason I can think of for choosing an N-frame would be if the 44 magnum was necessary...
I have carried lesser revolvers when required but my choice is a S&W N frame with a 4” tapered barrel, chambered for the 45 ACP cartridge. With the skinny barrel and big holes it is about the same weight as a M19 but shoots a cartridge I prefer.

Currently it is a 22-4 but it started out with a converted 28-2 and went to a shortened 1917, a Mountain Gun and other similar revolvers.

Kevin

·
Registered
20,451 Posts
Cross draw works best for me. Found this on Ebay for a great price. Also bought one similar but black for K frame.:)

20180705_205334-1.jpg

20180705_205517-1.jpg

Holster with JM 625

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
This Model 29-3 3" N frame came with this S&W holster marked 624.

standard.jpg

This Bianchi model 27 N frame holster holds this 38/44 cut down Outdoorsman 38 Special revolver.

standard.jpg

A 6 1/2" Model 25 1955 .45 Target needs a big holster Like this Lawrence Model 7 Shoulder Holster.

standard.jpg

This Berns Martin Calhoun City Holster holding the 4" Cut Barreled 38-44 pre war Outdoorsman.

standard.jpg

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I previously used a Bianchi 5BH but about 7-8 years ago switched to fancier leather for EDC.

Kevin
(edited 16 November, 2019)

While I have used a 5BH the holster in the photograph is a well used Safariland. I believe a Model 29. When I say well used, it has been restitched twice, most recently completely restitched. It was hard to retire it but I believe the Sunday holster is a suitable replacement.

Kevin

·
Registered
422 Posts
jimg11, I love the Berns Martin you show. I'm lucky enough to have a pair [ L&R ] exactly like yours except in black and a little later Elberton make.
They are like brand new so, I don't use them for carry but for display only.[I have a small collection of Berns Martin and Bianchi Berns patent improved shoulder rigs]
Back in my younger days [1970's] I had no problem concealing 4" N frames under a sport coat or overshirt in Roy Bakers "pancakes" with Magna grips and a Tyler "T" grip adapter. Roy's leather quality left a little to be desired[ too thin and too soft over a period of time for durability] but, I got Thad Rybka to apply his magic to a similar design and I used them daily for 30 years of Federal LE, I'm now retired[I'm 76 now] I still have and use his holsters for daily concealed carry.
I mostly use El Paso Saddlery for "toys" and open carry but,Thad Rybka's excellence for "serious social intercourse". For the last 40+ years my serious go to pistols are variants of the 1911[ custom "home built" LW CCO's] but, I still love my revolvers!Nick

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Low ride, or High ride?

Looking at these two Galco holsters for my 325 PD (the "snub" one).

Any recommendations for someone who has a little "overhang" above the belt? (Although I'm liking that Milt Sparks one!)

Low ride:

CM822_SIG_P320C_front_OL_1500x1500_t.jpg

High ride:

Silo_REV_OL_tan_t.JPG

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Hey Motorman,

Usually I use a shoulder rig, for the 6-1/2" or 8-3/8"..

Will use a belt rig for the 4" or 5", and on occasion the 6-1/2"

Get a GOOD BELT, and a pair of suspenders! :D The Perry Suspenders hook onto the belt...

Later, Mark
I agree on the Perry Suspenders. I have a collection and wear them all the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this is late but I just saw this thread. I only carry my 6 inch 28-2 out on the farm. It’s either in a Hunter 1100 holster and belt or a Bucheimer Jordan style holster and Don Hume River belt.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I've been carrying my 4" Pre 29 in a Lobo gunleather pancake. I notice it's okay at 4:00 or so but sags outward at 3:00. It's comfortable, but I do have to "cinch-up" more than with a K-frame and I'd like it to tuck tighter. So still looking for the "right one".

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Since I'm back to revolvers after a long absence, and since
deciding on carrying a 3" 629 (go BIG or don't go), I would
appreciate to hear from the crowd who like large revolvers.
What do you carry, and more importantly, how do you carry
it?
What style of holster do you like? Make & manufacturer
would help.
Pics would be great. Show off that big iron holstered or
out in the open for all to enjoy.
Thanks so much for your time and comments.
I carried a 629 deer hunting for quite a few years in an Uncle Mikes shoulder holster. It was quite comfortable.

The N frame is too large for normal conceal carry in public.

A Glock is as big as you want to go and get the Glock 30 Gen .45 ACP if you want big.......that's as big as makes any sense at all.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts