Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I prefer to carry my six inch 28-2 in a El Paso Tom Threepersons holster. It has a useful forward cant. Just about ideal. For my four inch 28-2, I prefer a Bianchi 111 Cyclone holster. It can be used either side draw or strong side. I prefer it side draw. This works out great when carrying a rifle during deer season. Also nice when driving a car, truck, etc. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Thanks for all of your N Frame holster input. It has been helpful. I recently ordered and received a Wright Leather Works pancake for my 629 3" and it works well. It will carry better once the cooler weather arrives, where I can wear a vest and/or a jacket. It is a surprise that this style of holster can actually hold and help conceal this large frame revolver. I also ordered a horsehide 1 3/4" belt from Kramer Leather in Tacoma, which should help support the weight.
How bout a photo?

Kevin

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Don't carry N frames as they are way to heavy for concealed.
Me too. The biggest thing I routinely carry is a K-frame snub and even that is rare.

I have a nice Astra Terminator that would be the only N-frame that would even be worth considering for concealed carry.
But with a 7-shot 357 titanium snub and a 5 shot 44 special that both weigh nearly a pound less than the Astra, it isn't even a serious consideration.

Just curious, why would anyone want/need to conceal an N-frame? The only reason I can think of for choosing an N-frame would be if the 44 magnum was necessary. I can only see that caliber as necessary for grizzly bear defense, and in the woods concealment isn't usually a consideration. In WA open carry is legal even in urban areas, so no need to conceal where bears live. For 2 legged predators a 357 or 44 special are more than adequate. So why try to carry an N-frame concealed?

Now, if you are looking for open carry options, that's a different story altogether. If that is the question then I have a couple of Hunter brand and an S&W brand holster that work well for my N-frames. My favorite is a Guide Gear chest rig/bandolier combo. No worries about having a 2-3 pound revolver trying to pull your pants down. ;)

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
...Just curious, why would anyone want/need to conceal an N-frame? The only reason I can think of for choosing an N-frame would be if the 44 magnum was necessary...
I have carried lesser revolvers when required but my choice is a S&W N frame with a 4” tapered barrel, chambered for the 45 ACP cartridge. With the skinny barrel and big holes it is about the same weight as a M19 but shoots a cartridge I prefer.

Currently it is a 22-4 but it started out with a converted 28-2 and went to a shortened 1917, a Mountain Gun and other similar revolvers.

Kevin

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Cross draw works best for me. Found this on Ebay for a great price. Also bought one similar but black for K frame.:)

20180705_205334-1.jpg

20180705_205517-1.jpg

Holster with JM 625

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
This Model 29-3 3" N frame came with this S&W holster marked 624.

standard.jpg

This Bianchi model 27 N frame holster holds this 38/44 cut down Outdoorsman 38 Special revolver.

standard.jpg

A 6 1/2" Model 25 1955 .45 Target needs a big holster Like this Lawrence Model 7 Shoulder Holster.

standard.jpg

This Berns Martin Calhoun City Holster holding the 4" Cut Barreled 38-44 pre war Outdoorsman.

standard.jpg

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I previously used a Bianchi 5BH but about 7-8 years ago switched to fancier leather for EDC.

Kevin
(edited 16 November, 2019)

While I have used a 5BH the holster in the photograph is a well used Safariland. I believe a Model 29. When I say well used, it has been restitched twice, most recently completely restitched. It was hard to retire it but I believe the Sunday holster is a suitable replacement.

Kevin

·
Registered
422 Posts
jimg11, I love the Berns Martin you show. I'm lucky enough to have a pair [ L&R ] exactly like yours except in black and a little later Elberton make.
They are like brand new so, I don't use them for carry but for display only.[I have a small collection of Berns Martin and Bianchi Berns patent improved shoulder rigs]
Back in my younger days [1970's] I had no problem concealing 4" N frames under a sport coat or overshirt in Roy Bakers "pancakes" with Magna grips and a Tyler "T" grip adapter. Roy's leather quality left a little to be desired[ too thin and too soft over a period of time for durability] but, I got Thad Rybka to apply his magic to a similar design and I used them daily for 30 years of Federal LE, I'm now retired[I'm 76 now] I still have and use his holsters for daily concealed carry.
I mostly use El Paso Saddlery for "toys" and open carry but,Thad Rybka's excellence for "serious social intercourse". For the last 40+ years my serious go to pistols are variants of the 1911[ custom "home built" LW CCO's] but, I still love my revolvers!Nick

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Low ride, or High ride?

Looking at these two Galco holsters for my 325 PD (the "snub" one).

Any recommendations for someone who has a little "overhang" above the belt? (Although I'm liking that Milt Sparks one!)

Low ride:

CM822_SIG_P320C_front_OL_1500x1500_t.jpg

High ride:

Silo_REV_OL_tan_t.JPG

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Hey Motorman,

Usually I use a shoulder rig, for the 6-1/2" or 8-3/8"..

Will use a belt rig for the 4" or 5", and on occasion the 6-1/2"

Get a GOOD BELT, and a pair of suspenders! :D The Perry Suspenders hook onto the belt...

Later, Mark
I agree on the Perry Suspenders. I have a collection and wear them all the time.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts