Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Philmo11, my new grips arrived today. They seem to fit the frame quite well, although they will need to be slightly relieved at the trigger guard to fit the 460 as you noted above.
While they are beautifully made I was surprised (and a bit disappointed, TBH) that they arrived as raw walnut with no finish whatsoever! Looks like I'll have to dig out the Tru-Oil and give them a coat or two to protect the wood.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Are you sure there isn’t oil on them? Not trying to imply your an idjit or anything. They would have used pure oil which would have left fiber hairs and finish that feels raw. I find that extremely unusual. They actually held mine while the oil cured up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
These were the original set they send me, they are very light because of the cut of wood. They almost look raw.
Luggage and bags Bag Revolver Font Tints and shades

This is a closeup of the second set before satin poly was applied over them. A darker, denser cut of wood.
Shoe Leg Wood Grey Automotive tire

This is the same closeup after satin poly was applied over the Tung oil.
Shoe Automotive tire Wood Sculpture Goggles

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll have to take a look again tonight after work, but they certainly felt raw without any sort of a sealing coat. Did the backside of yours look the same as the front side, finish-wise?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'll have to take a look again tonight after work, but they certainly felt raw without any sort of a sealing coat. Did the backside of yours look the same as the front side, finish-wise?
Yes, front and back are the same. You will be able to tell for sure once you sand down below the oil level.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
A word of advice if you intend to do the mod because I don’t know your skill level. When you touch up where you sand, let it set a week before poly. It takes a few days for Tung oil to set up. A week will ensure it set up good. Only do what is needed to match the original finish which shouldn’t be a lot. Hit it once or twice and let it soak it up then leave it for a week.

I used minwax wipe on satin poly. When you use that stuff, rub it in and don’t leave excess on the surface like you would with a full power poly. It has the consistency of almost water. The first few coats, the softer grains will soak it right up. That’s fine, don’t worry about it. Each coat is very thin so I used a dehydrator to accelerate the cure time. Two hours in there and it should be ready to lightly sand (just rough the surface) and repeat.

Let the piece cool down before sanding. If it’s tacky at all, leave it in the dehydrator until it isn’t. Each coat will be rock hard after it cures in there but still very thin. I put like 6-8 coats on mine until I was satisfied and it was uniform.

You don’t want the piece warm when you apply that stuff, the heat will accelerate the cure and it’ll start to tack up before you get it all on. Don’t touch it once it starts to tack. You also don’t want it warm when you sand. Poly is plastic and warm plastic and sandpaper don’t mix. It won’t sand right and you’ll end up making a problem for yourself.

Use the two screws that come with the grips to hold the pieces from the backside so you can handle and transfer the piece to the dehydrator (if you choose to use one).

·
Registered
467 Posts
Both of your X-Framed revolvers are really great looking. I’ve got a 460V 5” barreled revolver. I polished to a “high chrome” shine, and I made the grip for it out of Kansas Black Walnut. I did the same for my L-Framed 686 4” barreled revolver. I’m glad that the company’s making you new grips for the round-butt frame, but if they didn’t, all wouldn’t be lost. You could just back-fill the voids between the gun’s frame and the relief in the grips with either Plastic Wood, or quick setting J-B Weld. If you had to resort to that, be sure to put a layer of masking tape on the guns grip frame to keep the filler from sticking. When whatever filler you use, all you have to do is put the grip on some 180-220 sandpaper on top of a flat/solid work surface, and knock down any over-filling’s.

As for the engraving, I’ve considered, but I just haven’t been able to make the leap. I’m looking forward to seeing what your guns look like when all is said an done. Regards…

21 - 28 of 28 Posts