Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is a S&W forum, I thought I’d move part of my thread over here. This all started with an engraved 500 magnum I saw somewhere. Tracked down the engraver and have my 500 scheduled for Oct to be engraved.

This was the original gun that caught my attention.

At the time, I had a 4” 500. Originally, I was going to trade off the 4” and go for a pair of 8-3/8” 500 mag. The Rona came and made them scarce and I only secured one.

This was the new 500 after I got new grips and polished it up a little.

Well, after we got the 500 scheduled, a 460 became available. The more I thought about it, as much as a pair of 500s would be, no one will be carrying two of them, even just horsing around. That’s about 10lbs of steel pulling your pants down. Sooo.. I bought a matching 460 XVR. Exactly the same gun in 460.

I got to looking at grips the other day because I’m going to need a matching set. I came across these from a manufacturer in Turkey.

I got them in a couple days ago, after I went to put them on, they were for a square butt. I reached out to the manufacturer yesterday and was told they were a universal fit for the K/L frames. After some discussion about the intense recoil under full load, they are milling me a set that will fit snug against the round butt grip frame. This is what they looked like inside.

I am currently awaiting the new sets now. In the meantime, I put them on and shot some lower power rounds through both guns to get a feel for them. So far, I think I like them. Here is a pic withboth sets on. The color is a bit washed in that photo due to the sunlightmessing with the camera.They are a bit darker than the photo and every bit as nice as the manufacturers pic.

Due to the legality of the 500 in their country, they’ve never been able to test them under full power 500 loads, so I’ll be doing that as soon as the new ones get here. I don't think the universal fit will hold up to that much recoil, I’m not about to find out either.

In Oct, the 500 will be sent off for engraving. Probably be 6 months after and I’ll get the 460 done to match. So that’s where this endeavor is at the moment. This won’t be a quick thread but will get updated as things happen.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I like your grips hope they can make ones that fit. I only have one engraved gun and the engraving is the reason I was able the buy a first gen colt SAA cheaply. Needless to say it was not done with high quality. The colt and Winchester books have pictures of engraved presentation arms they are works of art. Yours will be useful art!

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Nice American iron mate!

Thewelshm

·
Registered
31,589 Posts
Beautiful examples of some fine revolvers.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Hey Phil,

Fine pair of POWERHOUSES!

Oh Boy!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The colt and Winchester books have pictures of engraved presentation arms they are works of art. Yours will be useful art!
Yes, I take meticulous care of all my guns, but I do shoot them all often. I have too much invested not to. Part of the joy in owning a gun like that is the satisfaction of shooting it. I will likely tone down the loads though. Frame cutting and/or damaging it after spending thousands to have them engraved isn’t an option. Fortunately, my range is 200 yards out my back door so risk transporting to the range is negligible.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the replacement grips from KDS cut to fit the frame. Unfortunately, I fired some 350gr 500 mags producing ~3,000 lbs of energy and peeled the skin off the side of my finger with 1 round.

Gesture Finger Wrist Thumb Nail

I did some work to the trigger guard area of one of them then finished them with some poly. Got a good hand rubbed look to them.

Wood Galliformes Table Reptile Terrestrial animal

Tool Automotive exhaust Air gun Trigger Bicycle part

Now I have 4 sets of these grips. I need to replicate what I did on another set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the replacement grips from KDS cut to fit the frame. Unfortunately, I fired some 350gr 500 mags producing ~3,000 lbs of energy and peeled the skin off the side of my finger with 1 round.

View attachment 519185

I did some work to the trigger guard area of one of them then finished them with some poly. Got a good hand rubbed look to them.

View attachment 519184

View attachment 519186

Now I have 4 sets of these grips. I need to replicate what I did on another set.
Philmo11, how has the new round-butt target grip held up on the 460 under heavier recoil? I was actually looking today at perhaps ordering that exact pair and happened across this thread.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So far so good. I haven’t shot the 460 a lot but the 500 has held up under 3000 ft lb loads. Be aware, modification to the trigger guard are might be necessary for full power loads. I shared the modifications with them but I don’t know if they have been incorporated or not. The original grips were a universal square or round butt fit. I had them make these to fit the round on my X-frames.

If they have a listing up for X-frame, those would likely be the new cut. That listing didn’t exist before I started working with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you elaborate on the modification near the trigger guard that might be necessary? Are you perhaps recommending that it be relieved a little to eliminate full contact with the trigger guard, or what?
Also, do you happen to know what their warranty policy is on their products and whether or not it covers breakage? I don't see anything about that on their web site.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Can you elaborate on the modification near the trigger guard that might be necessary? Are you perhaps recommending that it be relieved a little to eliminate full contact with the trigger guard, or what?
Also, do you happen to know what their warranty policy is on their products and whether or not it covers breakage? I don't see anything about that on their web site.
Well, as far as their breakage, I cannot say. I would imagine, they would replace them. They are pretty proud of their product. It is very good. When I talked to them about the inner cutout not fitting the round butt grip frame and the recoil of a 3000lb load ( I believe it’s somewhere between 52 - 57ft lbs of recoil), the rep talked to the engineer about the potential for breakage. The engineer agreed that the potential was there and refitted a new set to my spec.

The difference… The original fit
Wood Tool Hardwood Font Metal

The new ones
Wood Tool Metal Auto part Font

The worry was that heavy recoil at the base pressing up and forward on the trigger guard could cause the grip to fracture (as others have). Under enough recoil, could force the two halves to separate. I know there are a lot of folks that have 500 magnums, but I can count on one finger the number of them I can verify have ever shot a load that intense.

This is a grip that fired 3
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades Automotive mirror

The modifications… here are some before and after from different angles. After sanding, Tung Oil was used to match the original finish. According to the rep, this is what they originally used to finish the grips.
Plant Rectangle Font Artifact Art

Shoe Leg Wood Grey Automotive tire

Plant Photograph Product Black Wood

I hand sanded them carefully not to change the lines in the sides. Contoured them so the sides tapered upwards away from the sides of the finger. Blunted the front to take the hook off the front. This helped a great deal but was still not enough. The surface felt smooth as a baby’s bottom to the touch but still took a layer off the middle finger under that heavy recoil. Before the modification, it took a healthy chunk. This pic was after the contouring and Tung Oil.
Gesture Finger Wrist Thumb Nail

I needed to smooth them just a bit more so I used oil based wipe on poly, satin, about 8 or 9 coats, working it into the wood each time. This was the result… a very nice hand rubbed finish.
Shoe Automotive tire Wood Sculpture Goggles

They no longer take the skin off the middle finger.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts