Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks. I posted in the newbie forum, but then completely forgot about this place. But I am back now. lihjgq;

I figured I would put up a couple of pics of my guns.
Ignore the blued gun, it's not a S&W (but it sure shoots nice.) There are two 624's in .44 Special, and one 629 (I think, I'll have to get it out to look) in .44 Mag. They were all purchased in the mid '80s, so none of them are what could be called new. The Specials really shoot nice. They had some trigger work done to them, and they are sweet. Dad had a load for them that was his favorite target load; 240 gr SWC, 6.5 grains of 231, and ... (I cant remember what primer off the top of my head.) I hope that info is right, it's been awhile since I shot them and I've been busy wrenching on a broken racecar. The Magnum hasnt had any trigger work done, and thats probably a good thing. There's something kind of spooky to me about a Magnum with a sub 2 lb trigger pull.
Anyways, here are the wheelguns;

Maybe one of these days I will get some room and be able to set up all of dad's reloading equipment and start loading my own. Till then, I will keep shooting the stuff he loaded, and hope I dont run out. ;)

Edit: I loaded the same pic twice.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Kid,

Nice collection you've got there. I especially like the 4" pinned and recessed 629. kfjdrfirii

I've got one coming up from a friend in the south. It should be here next week, but shhhh, it's a secret. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Nice collection you've got there. I especially like the 4" pinned and recessed 629."

Thanks. I registered right after we got home from our trip back to Iowa for the funeral. Then with as busy as we were, I forgot all about this place. Here is some of my ignorance, I have no idea what any of that meant. Pinned and recessed?

I like the Ruger, but I am more comfortable shooting the specials. My hand seems to fit the grips better. I cant find a comfortable way to hold the Ruger, it feels too small. I shoot them all about the same; a touch low at 20 yards. Occasionally the Ruger is low and to the right. Its all me. I just need more practice.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
kid vishus said:
I have no idea what any of that meant. Pinned and recessed?
Kid,

If you look at your 629 on the frame just after the cylinder there is a pin through the barrel and frame. Now if you open the cylinder, look at the chambers and you will see that they are recessed into the cylinder where as your 624's are not. Some folks like P&R stuff better than not, but your 629 is nice because the 4" 629 was only made one year in that configuration. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Learn something new every day. Thanks!

My dad was really in to the whole gun scene in the '80s and early '90s. I liked guns and shooting, but was more into hot rods and going fast. Lucky for me, mom wanted me to have all of dad's guns, which also included all of my grandfather's guns. There arent a lot of handguns, but there are a ton of long guns, some really old ones that not only would I never shoot, but at least one I dont think they make ammo for anymore.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
You have some nice Smiths there. Yep, that 629 4" sure will have some folks drooling! As my buddy from up north said he has one coming from the South (yes I intentionally capitalized it ;) ) but now its not a secret! :lol: :lol: ;)

And of course welcome back!

:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts