Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
Bob, I'm curious about the red lettering on the Navy property stamp, did you add that or would that have been original? I'm not well versed in these older guns, but I don't think I've seen that red lettering before.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The story I've been told is the navy did it when they released it after the war . The blue book say that the gun's so marked are worth 2-3 time the normal value but I'm not sure of that statement. I do know that some time after the war this gun did go to the southington ct. police dept. and was used as a duty gun for some time then sat for a lot of year's in storage. A gun shop I go to bought a bunch of guns from them and I got the victory and my stock model 58 and a krag rifle from them.

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
Very nice, thanks for the information. Great to have nice collector pieces with history!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to resurrect an old thread but...

The "Red" Victories are indeed the rarest of the Navy Victory Models, I have 5 Navy Victory Models and only one is a Red Victory. They were "stamped" with the Property of US Navy and filled with red paint, to the best of my knowledge during the war. They are worth more than those marked US Navy on the top strap, although typically, depending on condition, 25-50% more than a US Navy top strap marked Victory.
From what I have seen is there is a hierarchy to the Navy Victory models from lowest to highest

US PROPERTY marked on top strap AND letters to US Navy otherwise it could have been sent
to anyone, even the Army.
US Navy marked on Top Strap worth about 25% more than US Prop
US Navy marked on Top Strap and "S" on frame or "SV" serial for new hammer block
US Navy marked on Top Strap and Red Navy Property of on frame 25-50% more
US Navy marked on Top Strap and Red Navy Property of on frame and "S" or "SV" for new
hammer block - I have never seen or heard of one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts