Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Members,

Attached is a pic of my very first S&W that I took possession of yesterday .
It is a 1985 no dash 586 with the M stamp.
The revolver has had the sights modified or butchered at some point in it's 35 year history.
The double action only trigger is smooth except for the hammer return as it feels a little gritty.
A question to the group.
Should I have the revolver refinished yes or no?
If the feeling is yes then with a blue or a Cerakote?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank You.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Welcome, I think if you put period wood shoes on it you are golden mate...

Thewelshm

·
Registered
12,612 Posts
I have a 686 also made in 1985. They are nice shooting guns. No collector value in that one so do what you want with it. I would consider sending it to S&W for a reblue. I have seen pictures of a couple guns done recently and they turned out fantastic. I felt the price was reasonable for the quality of the work. A standard polish & blue is $220, high bright polish blue is $275

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Neither re-blueing or Cerakote will increase value. W/ a chopped hammer, aftermarket sights & grips there's no collector value so it's a shooter. That's exactly what I'd do, shoot & enjoy it a lot just like it is. PS: Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
21,976 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on a fine choice for your first S&W revolver. :cool:

Reactions: Boriqua and jeepnut

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
As I'm nota DAO fan, I'd look for a replacement hammer and shoot it like crazy.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Very nice first S&W revolver. If you are going to shoot it a lot then leave it alone. If you are going to shoot it occasionally and want it purdy send it to S&W for a blue job.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
As others have said, shoot it and enjoy it. It should be a very accurate gun. This wil most likely lead to more S&Ws in your collection. L frame hammers and triggers pop up on eBay quite frequently. When you find parts at the right price buy them and save them for the future when you have multiple S&Ws to shoot and the down time for the repair won't bother you.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Those modifications are consistent with what was typically done for competition during the mid-80's. I bet that has a pretty nice action. I'd leave it as it is and shoot the hell out of it! ;)

If you can find an old Davis competition grip, it'd be perfect.

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
17,444 Posts
Welcome to the foruma nd agree with the leave it alone. Just keep clean and shoot it. Looks like the target shows it can shoot.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
My suggestion.. buy some mark lee bluing pull the gun apart and blue it youself. It's actually fun to do the bluing and see the results and tearing the gun down will make you more familiar with it's guts and allow you to banish the grit feeling by giving it a good clean.

Say no to cerekote!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts