Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun Machine gun

The BAR has to be my most wanted firearm. When they used to have shooting events at a place called Farmer's Valley, Pa., I had the pleasure of shooting one. Miss those events, you could shoot almost anything, also shot a Thompson machine gun and MP40, even witnessed a quad .50cal anti-aircraft gun fire. Anyway, When shooting the BAR I was surprised at how well I handled the large rifle. Shot it in both full auto and individual rounds. Ever since I have wanted one of these bad boys...do any of you have the pleasure of owning one of these beauties? If so...please post some pics.

Rectangle Gun accessory Gun barrel Font Fashion accessory

If I never get to own one, I can at least say I had the experience of handling/shooting one of the most iconic rifles in history.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,868 Posts
Got to play with one in 1965/1966 in Viet Nam. We would see how few rounds you could get off in full auto. I could do three and often two rounds with a trigger pull. A Marine Major could consistently do one round at a time. It is also my ultimate grail rifle to own.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Same here. Love the sound, the cadence of a BAR on full auto. I got to shoot one 2 years ago; In prone and off-hand. I don’t think I could afford one today.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My buddy has an early M1 Rifle 1941 or so. It's a Winchester that has never been racked since leaving the factory!
It's like going back in time looking at this M1 Garand!
Someone offered him $8,000.00 in cash! He said without hesitation NO!
He's a M1 collector! That would be a holy grail gun for me!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I love the BAR.

Arm Hat Beard Cap Musician

I've only shot 40 rounds at an indoor range. with one. I would love to shoot one at longer range.

Trigger Wood Machine gun Shotgun Air gun

Several years ago in Vegas I got to shoot BAR, Bren, MG 34 & Swedish K. BAR was my favorite that day.

Here is as close to my Grail Gun as the state of IL will let me get.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Gun barrel

Semiauto Uzi Model A with a 16" barrel. I have a Burris Fast Fire on it now. BIG FUN!

·
Registered
15,642 Posts
I also had the opportunity to shoot a BAR one time, and it was a blast. I wouldnt want to have to carry one around though. I also shot an MG42 on a tripod, and an MP40. the MP40 is a real joy to shoot. It's fairly low rate of fire, coupled with the weight of the subgun makes those 9mm's very controllable. Will have to dig out those pictures, and ones from another occasion when I spent an afternoon with 2 friends, a 1927 Thompson and a case of ammo.

·
Super Moderator
19,963 Posts
One of these will be my next major gun purchase. One of the members here has one in his possession. I got to handle it, but didn't get an opportunity to shoot it though. He will remain anonymous for this discussion.
This is the one I want.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My father carried one in Germany during WWII. He had a vest that carried 20, 20 round mags that he wore. That along with the 18 plus pounds of gun was before he put his field pack on. He had a later gun that was full auto only, but he said it was easy to fire it one round at a time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My uncle carried one all through WWII. He was in the 17th Airborne. The gun got him shot, and it also saved his life.
During Operation Varsity, when they parachuted across the Rhine River, He took out a group of Germans who were shooting some of his fellow parachutists before they could land. I would dearly love to own one.

·
Registered
15,642 Posts
I read that most of those who had to carry a BAR hated it for the weight, but refused to give up the firepower if offered the chance to carry a different weapon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts