Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked these two up on Gunbroker. A friend may buy one. I’m teaching her to shoot- handguns ,so far, shotgun and rifle within the next couple of weeks for familiarization. Then we’ll see where she wants to go. I’m encouraging them to move into some form of long gun, as I think that’s the weapon of decision. The unrest in the cities/ metro areas has some folks very concerned. She has a choice between the Model 67 and the blued Model 15. The Combat Masterpiece was built in 1955 per serial number and has an outstanding trigger! I haven’t check the 67, since it’s got the lock on it. The CM appears to have been REN waxed, but since I’ve never done that,I don’t know what it looks like. The double barrel is a Fox-Sterlingworth 16 gauge chocked IC and modified. She’s seen much use since being built in 1921. My Uncle Jack gave me this beauty several years ago. He’s 90. His uncle gave it to him. This gun has spent some time in the hills and ridges of SW Virginia. The buttstock says so!

·
Administrator
8,543 Posts
Nice!
Just an aside, I used to say never get one with the lock. I've since bought a few and have had zero problems.. one of them is a 44 magnum and the other is a 460. If the lock was going to lock itself, either of those would be the first to do so.. just sayin'.

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
Those are some excellent guns. Lock never bothered me but all of them fell out cleaning them and now trigger pull smoother and lighter.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
3,116 Posts
The combat masterpiece may or may not have been waxed. S&W's from that era were done in S&W's proprietary "Carbona blue" which looked like you gun.

Here's my 1954 K-22, unwaxed and just as shiny...

And I love that SxS shotgun!!

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
Curt360 has an m67 like that with the lock. It has an excellent trigger pull. Don't know if someone worked on it of if they got that one " just right " at the factory, but it is nice.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sad to say, she chose the blue Combat Masterpiece. Built in 1955, it was a slick piece. Outstanding trigger, excellent finish with just a touch of holster wear. But she picked the best piece for her. That’s what I wanted. I’ll try to sell the 67-5. The dash 5 is a little heavier frame ( L frame?) than the CM. The trigger is ok, just not like that CM. I have a couple of Smiths with the lock. Doesn’t seem to be a big deal in the performance arena. On the other hand, I bet my life on a piece with no lock, sooo... My wife already has a Ruger Speed-Six, so she won’t need it. Hank

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
Congrats on the new additions! She made a good choice, but either would have been fine. The 67-5 I have is one of my favorites at the range.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Curt- just looking at my 67-5, it appears to me to be an “ L “ frame. Taller frame, heavy barrel,etc. Am I correct? Is it an “L”, not a “K”?

·
Premium Member
12,403 Posts
Very nice. I picked up a K38 Combat Masterpiece from gunbroker back in July. It shipped 7/1955. s/n K2342xx. Still have yet to shoot it.

·
Premium Member
21,029 Posts
Curt- just looking at my 67-5, it appears to me to be an “ L “ frame. Taller frame, heavy barrel,etc. Am I correct? Is it an “L”, not a “K”?
I'm not Curt but I looked at the SCSW, 4th Ed. and it describes it as the K target frame.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
12,403 Posts
The Model 67 was introduced in 1972. It is the stainless steel version of the Model 15. The technical change which brought about the Model 67-5 was the addition of an internal lock in 2002.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks,Guy. I should have looked at my copy! This piece has a noticeably heavier barrel, and the frame seems deeper than my Combat Masterpiece. Hank

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
Yes, as Guy stated the 67-5 is a K frame.:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts