Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in bottom feeders. I have a colt 38 super that I enjoy shooting and was keeping it as a house gun. I would keep the Colt in the bedroom with a loaded clip inserted. Anyway I took the Colt to the range with that loaded clip along with two other clips. So I'm a set up and ready to shoot, I rack the slide and jam on the very first round of my home defense colt. I try again and jam so I set that round aside and rack the slide and shoot the next seven rounds without failure. So I load another mag and set it up so the round that jammed is the first round in. Jam. Clear and shoot the next seven without failure. I load another mag and this time set the jamming round as the second round to feed in. First round fired the second round JAM. Finished the next six without failure. So I shoot the rest of my ammo with no failures that 100 rounds with that one failure. But that jamming round would have been the first round to feed if things went bump in the night. That could have been very bad for us in the dark of the night. So now my S&W 29-3 has taken up Home protection with 44 specials.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I'm suspicious of bottom feeders, but both CZ's (Rami and SP01- both decockers) have been flawless. Even with the little kids shooting them. (I've been carrying the Rami)

That said, downstairs gun is a 66-4, Upstairs gun is a pre 29.

·
Registered
11,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I thought of that but I don't want to function test inside my home, loading and unloading my gun. Accidents do happen. In DA revolvers I trust. Never had a failure with a DA revolver. I can tell you this my mags were not the problem just a bad round and I could not see anything wrong with it, it just refused to chamber.:unsure: All the mags (Metalform) are made by the same company that makes mags for Colt.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
With every firearm there will be some types/brands of ammo that work or do not work as well or do not work at all. Never a good practice to load and depend on ammo that has not proven itself reliable to you using your particular firearm. Just about any pistol can at some point fail. To elect perfection from a pistol is more than we expect of ourselves. Pick a good pistol. Use ammunition that has satisfied your concerns for reliability, function, etc. And, have a good grasp of the various clearance drills for any common failure. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Never had anything jam but the I 100% roll my own ammunition.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Sometimes you can just have a dud round. It’s terrible timing, but it happens. I remember the first time my son had to draw and fire his sidearm on the police force, the attacker was a half Pit Bull, half what looked like a Rottweiler dog, easily 100 pounds that had been sic’d on him and a female officer by its gang banger owner and his fellow gang members when responding to a loud noise complaint. The dog was on them instantly, he drew and fired and heard a loud ‘click’, that was it! As was drilled into him by way of training, he ‘Tapped, Racked and fired’, but was now shooting back behind him while running. His round missed the dog, but the sound and round into the dirt in front of the dog scared it off. By policy, the gun was disassembled and inspected by the department armorer. Although he replaced a spring for general purposes, the conclusion was a defective round because it was recovered from the scene and had a clear primer strike. This was department issued ammo and the gun never failed again. This was a Glock 21 and I realize that Glock’s have an amazing track record of reliability, it can’t overcome a defective cartridge.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Thats the beauty of a DA revolver. If you get a dud..just pull the trigger again for another try. Duds are rare..but they do happen,even with center fire ammo. All my house guns are DA revolvers as the wife has a hard enough time clearing burnt toast out of the toaster so the simplicity of a DA revolver suits her fine. Point and pull till it goes bang!

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
It was federal 130 grain +P ammo round nose FMJ. Maybe there was a bur on the case I didn't see. The other 49 rounds of federal fed without failure. I only shoot factory made ammo, I don't reload.
When shooting the bowling pins had several instances where some guns had failures when the ammo had 2 thousandths difference in OAL. Would depend on the gun tolerances and the ammo tolerances whether would work or not. This was 9 mm as the guys shooting 45 1911s never had this issue, as I did not either as I shot a S&W 627 8 shot. Agree, semis are nice and with the enhanced magazines seem advantageous but do trust my revolvers more.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I have opened a brand new box of Winchester 38 Specials and found a primer seated up side down in one of the 50 cartridges. How did that get passed the inspectors?

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Good question. Obviously quality control is not too good.

·
Registered
21,325 Posts
Shape of the bullet is called the Ogive.........I think. Correct me if I am having 'Delusions of greatness' Just a little tid-bit that I have stored in my 'memory bank'! o_O:cautious: :devilish: Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts