Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a large envelope in the mailbox today upon returning home from the range. It contained my three letters from Smith and Wesson that I sent away for in the beginning of the month. Two of the three belong here, so I am posting here. My .45 Hand Ejector Model of 1917 was shipped in March of 1918. My K-22 is a first model, which I didn't know, leaving Mass in December 1933. There was so much history of the particular model in each letter that I was truly impressed. I had seen letters before, but I waited until I got my 1917 to send for any for my guns. It sure is neat to have such a keepsake to go with the handguns.
I know others say that sure, it's his job, but I want to thank him for doing it so well. He is always personable when you speak to him on the phone, the letters are very informative, his public appearances promote the product well and he is a credit to his company. I think anyone who impresses me when they do thier job as well as he does, deserves my thanks. I have written a few letters of praise to companies in the past. This "letter" will be sent in a different manner, being here on the forum, but I think this is the proper place for it.

Mr. Jinks, thank you.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It appears that nearly doubling the cost to $50 has had the desired effect of driving many customers out of the market place. Makes it nice for those who don't mind paying such a princely sum because they now get their letters in 3 weeks instead of 3 months.

Yea for them.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Roy really performs a great service to the collecting world. kfjdrfirii The sad thing is that S&W has supposedly already said that Roy will not be replaced when he cannot do his "job" any more. inhzov

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello Jim
I agree Roy does a great Job on these Letters, and to those of us that appreciate the enhancement it makes to our Guns his $15.00 Increase is Minimal you can't even enjoy a good meal Out, for that price these days. I am not sure how it works or just what S&W get's out of his letter writing, but when the man passes away, There will be no one to replace him. I think Colt Get's $200.00 or $250.00 for a Factory letter and it takes Many Months to get one returned so to me the Price reflected in the History of any S&W revolver is a small price to pay for the return of what it adds to your guns Worth... Hammerdown

·
Registered
249 Posts
First, Roy Jinks is not replaceable as no one has his knowledge about S&Ws and no one ever will. Concerning factory letters, the Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation, founded last year by Sheryl and Ray Cheely is working to digitize and index the records of S&W. This includes the shipping records currently used by Mr. Jinks to assist in the development of factory letters. The money to pay for the digitizing of the shipping records has been budgeted by the S&WCA.

It is anticipated "factory" letters will someday be provided by the Connecticut Valley Historical Museum. Currently, museum staff work with Mr. Jinks to look at the invoices for a particular firearm during the information gathering process prior to a factory letter being written.

Good reasons to support the S&WCA and the S&WHF.

Bill

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
npihanp Thanks Bill, I knew that but was a little concerned as to what to say. klgasilBRVO

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Folks,
As has already been pointed out, the S&W Foundation is of vital importance to our hobby's future.
ANY tax-deductible contribution to the Foundation will help, and membership-level donations will help even more.
We have the unique opportunity to make a great deal of Smith and Wesson's history available to future generations of collectors.
Let's do all we can!
Don
;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bill, Kurt, Jim, and Don (all SWCA members, btw) are exactly right. The service that Roy now provides to us all is of great value, not just to us as individuals, but to the hobby that we enjoy . Most of the guns which we collect and report on in this room of the Forum sell for a minimum of $500. I'd guess that the majority of them sell for several multiples of that number. So an additional investment of 10% to less than 1% of the cost in the history of the gun is, in most cases, a wise investment.

Am I aware that I now only get three letters for the same investment that I used to get five for? Of Course. I still feel that my letters are a significant part of the history of the gun which was important enough initially for me to purchase it. If I buy a gun that was produced prior to roughly 1957-58, I invariably order a letter. I may not order it immediately upon getting the gun but it is something that I do when the funds become available. The fact that I can now get the letter in a few weeks instead of a few months, means that my money stays in my control longer.

Bill has made a point that can't be emphasized too much. The future of our ability to get ANY history on our S&W guns after Roy is unable to provide it will depend completely upon the information being available in the Conn. Valley Historical Museum. At this point, the Smith & Wesson Collectors Association has provided many, many thousands of dollars to the support of the Museum. Over the last year, since the establishment of the Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation, that organization has additionally funded the effort.

The records in the CVHM are in dusty, moldy, storage boxes in various stages of repair/disrepair. Being able to access that information is completely dependent upon it being digitized into records which are available to researchers. Make no mistake about it...this is a time consuming and expensive process. Up to this point, the effort has been supported by a relatively few individuals. I would like to urge each of you who enjoy your collection and value the simple pleasure that your hobby brings into your life to seriously consider joining and supporting the organizations which I have mentioned.

Thanks for your consideration,

Bob
SWCA #1620
SWHF Founding Member #126

1 - 8 of 8 Posts