Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an attempt to raise shooting scores and encourage range practice, his department has implemented a new element to the event, something that is apparently being adopted in many agencies. The idea is that beyond simply qualifying at the required 50 rounds from 25 yards, where each hole punched inside the gray area counts as 5 points, anything in the black or on the line doesn't count, so a perfect qualification score is 250 points; that hasn't changed. What has changed is that for shooters that pass with a perfect 250, they can qualify for a higher 'distinguished marksman' skill level beyond the simple qualifying 'expert' achievement as has been the case historically. My son was the only person on his squad to pass the higher mark and it earned him 10 hours of paid off-duty time! Until he sent me a sample picture explaining the scoring system, I was a little confused because I couldn't see an 8" center mass ring or 4" head shot ring on his actual target. Well, that is until I enlarged the picture while looking for it. At 25 yards, it's impossible to see the rings, you simply have to focus as best you can on the target areas, which of course is the reason you practice for real life shooting situations. I like the idea, it gives them a goal to strive for besides simply passing. The range masters confirmed what is explained in the scoring photo, to date, my son's department is seeing about a 5% success rate so far. I expect that to increase going forward as competition and incentive is added into the mix.

·
Premium Member
12,917 Posts
That works... Congratulations on excellent marksmanship - and the nice bonus!

Qualification is the polar opposite of a "participation award"... Maybe schools should adopt something useful.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Cool...! I’d like to try that too.....! It gives the shooter an extra boost......challenging! Good Shoot’n BC3!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Nice job. I used to work part time for my hometown department the chief told me when he was hired one of the older officers to him the the gravel hole and let him shoot at some tin cans. They went back to the station after only shooting 25 rounds. The older officer told the chief “he’s ok”. That was his qualification. Guess things are getting better! Great job and thank him for staying in a thankless job.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Sweet mate..

Thewelshm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts