Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) If my alarm goes off, my first home defense is at my bedside: It's a Model 19-3 6" (fully loaded in .357 ammo):

2) I have a gym in my basement. I can't really run up to get the 19-3 so I have the first S&W in my collection: It's the original Model 10-5 fully loaded here:

3) I was reading the paper in the kitchen with coffee one time when the door bell rang, and my wife just opened the door. She didn't know who rang the bell. I fixed this immediately with a S&W Model 19-4 2 1/2" (with .357 rounds) firmly bolted in an holster under the kitchen table.

4) I hang out in an upstairs office as I do today. I can't reach the 1st floor so I keep a Remington 870 12 gauge here with double 00 buckshot:

I have to ask about your home defense plan?

·
Super Moderator
31,844 Posts
We do keep a number of firearms ready and handy around the house: Mossberg 590, on the nightstands that we both have there are revolvers, I have a Colt in .38 and he has a Smith in .38 and we keep a H&K USP in .45 in the console between the recliners. One I always come close to forgetting is there is Taurus .45 LC 5 shot snub nose tucked away in the kitchen cabinet so there are multiple guns within reach from anywhere.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Oh my oh my oh my! What to use! What to use! If the need ever arises... a nice little four inch 19-3 is on the nightstand. A lightly customized RIA 1911-A1 is in the drawer. If I am doing a bit of light reading, I've been known to have a nicely restored Springfield 5.9 million M-1 Garand (2/56) that has proven extremely effective on everything using plain Jane M-2 ball. Can't see any reason why it would not handle any thing on two or four legs. Recently I bought a very nice little Sig 226. It is in the range bag. Later this week if there is time it will go to the range. Given time it will very likely find its place in the rotation. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just keep a J frame in my pocket.

F0E20FF0-02C7-4BEE-87D7-EFE195CBAD92.jpeg

Everything else is locked up during the day. Mossberg 500 joins the bedside at night.

9AFAA8E5-DAAF-420C-A560-4E5C780E5013.jpeg

The 80 lb. Boxer running around my house is the real home deterrent. Nobody wants to mess with Csonka.

2ni6351.jpg

Fast forward 6 years & if he doesn’t know you, you don’t want to see this ...

86853EDF-5BE1-4DB3-B702-1229980F3FA9.jpeg

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
SD9VE on nightstand (2nd floor). My 638 and LCP live on top of the pantry cabinet in my kitchen (1st floor). The 638 is usually in my pocket though. In the basement I have the Shield loaded and accessible. My M&P 15 Sport is the first gun in line in my gun locker and a loaded 20 round magazine is right next to it.. The big, black 100 pound German Shepherd/ Husky mix is the first to the door upon hearing a sound and is definitely going to give any unknown person second thoughts about coming through the door. His bark is extremely loud and intimidating.

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is obvious that you guys can protect your home. What say you in the car or truck?

I keep a locked and loaded Colt 1911 Gold Cup in my car with an extra magazine at all times:

I had to attend a wedding for my wife's third cousin, and they had valet parking. I had to give the guy $5 to park my own car. :rolleyes:

Nothing here has required a permit. We have the Castle Rule to protect our property in GA, and we do so.

I have a carry permit (GWCL) because I want one.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
PA requires a concealed carry permit in order to have a loaded handgun in a vehicle. We have 2 cars and I don't always drive the same one. My wife and daughters don't have a carry permit, and might drive either vehicle on occasion, so I don't keep a gun in either car. I figure that if I always carry when I leave the house then I don't need to leave one in the car. Also it seems that a good number of stolen handguns are stolen from cars

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see that it is illegal for your wife and daughter to protect themselves in a car. I guess they are not interested in getting a permit? Both of my kids have a full right to protect themselves in a car and also have a permit.

Also it seems that a good number of stolen handguns are stolen from cars
I am not so sure about how many guns are stolen from locked cars? My car will raise hell if you touch it without the key fob, and it is locked tight in a garage when not in use.

I have an older 1995 car that is parked outside the garage. I don't keep a loaded gun in it. I would think other folks would keep all guns from places that would be a target for theft? Heck, I'd get a stern warning if I reported a stolen loaded gun from a car.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
I don't keep a gun in my car. If I need one, while driving......I'll just use the M-36 2" or the M-10-7 2" that I carry in a crossdraw holster on my belt. I also keep 'em in the bed night stand......in case 'da Boogeyman' comes in the night!!!! nbhaof I live in a peaceful small town. Bob

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I have my glock 19 on me.....the 17 is in the console in the recliner couch.....870 home defense an arms reach away & my Model 58 in the drawer! My AR-15 is also "real handy" too!
My wife doesn't just run and open the front door anymore. She didn't like how HER idiot nephew who was drunk(on drugs) acted when he barged in the door...Only to be greeted by my 870 pointed at his face....! I pushed wifey in her recliner as I persuaded the idiot to leave. He hasn't been back....good ole 870....!

·
Registered
16,574 Posts
As far as the Jeep, center console safe with RIA 10mm and mags. My EDC, Colt Cobra (older one). Jeep in Garage always but when at store, the safe is integral but when worked in Tucker (not so good reputation) guns went inside with me in backpack (even though employer said no weapons). Did that for three 1/2 years and the guns never acted up and employer never knew. When am going to range, hope never get in accident as might think I am planning some dangerous actions. It is nice living in a very gun friendly state (people everywhere but Atlanta area are very gun wise and expect you to carry). At least that is my experience.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
PA requires a concealed carry permit in order to have a loaded handgun in a vehicle. We have 2 cars and I don't always drive the same one. My wife and daughters don't have a carry permit, and might drive either vehicle on occasion, so I don't keep a gun in either car. I figure that if I always carry when I leave the house then I don't need to leave one in the car. Also it seems that a good number of stolen handguns are stolen from cars
I agree if I'm going to have a loaded gun in my car it will be on my waist. I'm a real stickler for having my gun under my control at all times, I never leave it un-attended. Even in my house it goes where I go.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Depending on the time of year, I always have a 642-1, LCP, or Glock 27 on me at all times... unless I'm in the shower or bed.

I have a little Mossberg Shockwave mounted to my bed, a Taurus 605 on the headboard, and a suppressed 10/22 by the door going out to the garage. That's just for armadillos thou. I live alone, so I don't have to worry about kids.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts