Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Hey T,

You know the really sad part?

Today's PRICING (as astronomical as it is)...may be LOW BALL PRICING in the not so far future! 馃が

This is not the America I grew up in....

Later, Mark

Registered
... was NOT buying a Ruger-57 for myself once they became MA-Compliant, as I had planned pre-crisis. (y)

Even the cheapest 5.7x28 ammo is now up well over $2.00/round on AmmoSeek. :oops: Dear God! o_O

Finally, I did something right... or, more precisely, I didn't do something stupid. :giggle: Good for me! (y)
Welcome to the club, I did not buy one either!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the club, I did not buy one either!
Then congratulations to us both! (y) :giggle: The attraction really went away fast as 5.7x28 ammo prices started to climb. So much for the idea of picking up a novelty plastic pistol in an oddball caliber in the middle of the biggest ammo shortage crisis so far in my long, sorry lifetime. (n)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey T,

You know the really sad part?

Today's PRICING (as astronomical as it is)...may be LOW BALL PRICING in the not so far future! 馃が

This is not the America I grew up in....

Later, Mark
Well, I thought I was pretty smart to sell off some excess Federal 9mm ammo at 50垄/round back in early-September in order to pursue a couple other calibers I needed. Now, to buy it back, I'd have to pay 90垄/round. That didn't work out very well. :( And yes, under (fake) President Dementia Joe "Hiden" Biden, this could be just the beginning of insane ammo prices. :(

Registered
I have always restricted the calibers that I shoot to .22 lr and .38 Spl.. I bought a Ruger 9mm. Semi-Auto 2 years ago.......after hemming and hawing about it for the last 15-20 years. Basically in the same class of cartridge.....but, maybe better for carry than .38 Spl.. revolver. Bob

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have always restricted the calibers that I shoot to .22 lr and .38 Spl.. I bought a Ruger 9mm. Semi-Auto 2 years ago.......after hemming and hawing about it for the last 15-20 years. Basically in the same class of cartridge.....but, maybe better for carry than .38 Spl.. revolver. Bob
Yeah, two different philosophies on ammo I guess: One says keep it simple... the other says diversify. I'm mostly a member of the latter group, but not so much that I am willing to pay crazy money just to get into another obscure handgun caliber that I may not even like. They say that the 5.7x28 is a particularly loud round and that doesn't go well with my hearing loss situation (already damaged from too much loud shooting and other factors). Still, different can be good (it keeps the hobby interesting) and that's what attracted me at first at a time when my "Want List" is pretty empty. :cool:

Registered
Well, I thought I was pretty smart to sell off some excess Federal 9mm ammo at 50垄/round back in early-September in order to pursue a couple other calibers I needed. Now, to buy it back, I'd have to pay 90垄/round. That didn't work out very well. :( And yes, under (fake) President Dementia Joe "Hiden" Biden, this could be just the beginning of insane ammo prices. :(
Decisions, decisions..........
Sell now or sell later or not at all.
It's a hand ringer for sure. I too sell off items
that I feel I might be over stocked on.

Made a decision to part with, some 223 that was lingering in the vault.
Some of that wolf steel cased boxer primed hollow point stuff at a buck a pop.
I may have seller's remorse next year....But, not likely ;)

///

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Decisions, decisions..........
Sell now or sell later or not at all.
It's a hand ringer for sure. I too sell off items
that I feel I might be over stocked on.

Made a decision to part with, some 223 that was lingering in the vault.
Some of that wolf steel cased boxer primed hollow point stuff at a buck a pop.
I may have seller's remorse next year....But, not likely ;)
Well, let's remember that back in early-September when I made the decision to sell some excess 115 Gr 9mm so I could afford to buy more 124 Gr 9mm (better for my 3rd Gens) and buy some .32 S&W Long, all indications were that President Trump would be re-elected by a landslide... so it didn't appear that the ammo crisis would: a) get a whole lot worse, or b) last a very long time.

Then the Dims cheated like never before and we all know where we stand today. :mad:

So, in retrospect, I blew it. I gave away that Federal 9mm (relatively speaking) and never did get my 124 Gr 9mm or my half case of .32 S&W Long. :( I did score a little .45 ACP WWB (which I really didn't need) and I did eventually get my hands on 4 assorted boxes of .32 S&W Long, but I sure did pay a hefty price (a lot more than I got for those Federal 9mm rounds). :confused:

And so it goes... :whistle:

Registered
... was NOT buying a Ruger-57 for myself once they became MA-Compliant, as I had planned pre-crisis. (y)

Even the cheapest 5.7x28 ammo is now up well over $2.00/round on AmmoSeek. :oops: Dear God! o_O

Finally, I did something right... or, more precisely, I didn't do something stupid. :giggle: Good for me! (y)
Can't say that.

Didn't have to worry about ammo as I have a SBR PS90, so I already had over 1.5 K rounds that I'd been buying for several years.

Its a great gun. Laser accurate, zero recoil and a powerful cartridge.

Registered
I thought about getting one and when was hard to get, and after shooting my friend's FN, decided did not want to start new ammo search so instead got a couple more 1911s in 45ACP that I reload for. No regrets at all.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't say that.

Didn't have to worry about ammo as I have a SBR PS90, so I already had over 1.5 K rounds that I'd been buying for several years.

Its a great gun. Laser accurate, zero recoil and a powerful cartridge.
I thought about getting one and when was hard to get, and after shooting my friend's FN, decided did not want to start new ammo search so instead got a couple more 1911s in 45ACP that I reload for. No regrets at all.
Yeah, it's all about the ammo. :) If you were able to buy the ammo relatively cheap before the crisis, then it's all good. If you had to wait a while for the gun (mainly because of that MA-Compliant thang in my case), then the math of owning a 5.7x28 pistol (or SBR) becomes ridiculous. :(

My favorite dealer has 3 of the guns and can't get rid of them unless he sells them below his cost... all because the ammo is so ridiculously expensive. :oops:

Registered
I bought the gun at the LE price of $545.99 plus tax. I bought SS197 ammo at less that $20 per box for years and stocked up. I lucked into a 500 round case of Federal ball at about $230 OTD last year from a shop that found it in their storage room.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought the gun at the LE price of $545.99 plus tax. I bought SS197 ammo at less that $20 per box for years and stocked up. I lucked into a 500 round case of Federal ball at about $230 OTD last year from a shop that found it in their storage room.
God has obviously smiled on your Ruger-57 purchase and the ammo it eats. :) No such luck here.

Perhaps the price of the gun will come down as time goes on if demand at or near the list price continued to be thwarted by the extreme high cost of the ammo. I never say never, but it's going to take some seriously different economics to make a Ruger-57 work for me. :)

Registered
So far, ammo prices have not affected me. When things started going up, I dug out my old RCBS press and all the bits I had stored years ago and started assembling ammo. So far, I have put together (literally) a nice supply of 9mm, 38 Special, 45 ACP and 44 Special. I should have about a years supply at my current shooting rate. Also have a nice pile of 22LR and 22 WMR. Throw in a bit of 22 WRF and some 22 Long and I probably have more rimfire ammo than all the gunshops in a 5 county area!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts