Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year around Christmas\ New Years I go through all my guns, inspect them and give them a wipe down and run a patch with CLP down the barrel. I do it again around my birthday in June. Got started a little late, but did a couple yesterday and a couple today.
One of the ones I did today is my model of 1905, 3rd change made in about 1911. This is my oldest gunof any type by far, with my next oldest having been made in 1955. I haven’t shot this in over a year and when I do it gets a middle of the road 148gr wadcutter. It puts them in there like a laser beam, if you can see the small sights.
C9A21F29-4C5F-42AD-93E9-0A53BFCFA491.jpeg
73080A00-F5CD-4A18-8468-B85D88AEFF8C.jpeg

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love that gun. Like that knife.
I have had the knife for over 35 years and used it for everything. when putting in foundations for cemetery monuments I laid my frame out then cut the sod around the inside of the frame to start my hole. Cutting dirt isn't the best thing for a blade. Now it mostly gets used to cut the tape on new boxes of bullets

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
My oldest is a 1915 Colt new service..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
I have a Savage Single shot shotgun that was made pre-1967, in the original Savage plant in Chicopee Falls,Mass.! That burned down in 1967 and all records were destroyed. Very hard to get info on Savage products made before then.......and there were a lot of them..... like the Fox Double shotguns and the M-99 lever action. Bob

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
I have a Savage Single shot shotgun that was made pre-1967, in the original Savage plant in Chicopee Falls,Mass.! That burned down in 1967 and all records were destroyed. Very hard to get info on Savage products made before then.......and there were a lot of them..... like the Fox Double shotguns and the M-99 lever action. Bob
Hope you know that the "original Savage plant" was actually the original J. Stevens Arms plant, founded in 1864, but purchased by Savage in 1920, after Stevens' management had gutted the company in a war-profiteering scheme to manufacture Moisin-Nagants for Russia. Far more tragic to Stevens collectors (like me) than the '67 fire, was the one after WWI, & shortly after a Congressional committee had been convened to investigate war-profiteering by US companies. If only records pertaining to wartime production had been destroyed, the fire would obviously be suspicious, so that problem was removed by burning, essentially, everything on paper! Those of us who love Stevens target rifles are still in mourning.

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
Jeez, I'm quite surprised, considering this is a S&W forum, no one's "oldest gun" isn't a Tip-Up or American or Russian! Though I don't pretend to be a S&W "collector" (though I own & shoot several modern S&W revolvers), I always admired & wished I could afford to own, a Russian, or at least an American, & drooled over them many times at shows. But, since my main collecting interest was elsewhere (single-shot rifles), & I never had funds enough even for that, I had to satisfied with looking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Every year around Christmas\ New Years I go through all my guns, inspect them and give them a wipe down and run a patch with CLP down the barrel. I do it again around my birthday in June. Got started a little late, but did a couple yesterday and a couple today.
One of the ones I did today is my model of 1905, 3rd change made in about 1911. This is my oldest gunof any type by far, with my next oldest having been made in 1955. I haven’t shot this in over a year and when I do it gets a middle of the road 148gr wadcutter. It puts them in there like a laser beam, if you can see the small sights.
View attachment 432245
View attachment 432247
Reminds me of my old NYPD service revolver. Kicking myself for selling it in 1982/83.😥

1 - 20 of 37 Posts