Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
LOL... I remember the first time I climbed aboard a Brit bike, my friend's Norton 750 Commando. We switched rides for a day so we each could see what each other's ride was like... I kept trying to shift the rear break level and he kept down shifting gears on my Honda trying to hit rear break. We traded ride backs after about a 1/2 hour.

Triumph has come out with a "retro" Bonneville line, the T1000 & T1200 that has piqued my interests, since I'm getting the bug to start riding again, now that I'm living in a rural area.
I'd always been on Brit bikes - BSA, Norton, Triumph, Matchless. So when i got my first American bike I got a 74 XLCH just so the shift could be on the correct (Right) side.. 😁

Kid has a new (2014) Bonnie and loves it. It's similar to, but not the same as the old Bonnie- I think it's that the pistons alternate instead of coming down together like the old twins- either less bottom end torque or I'm just that much fatter. :eek:

Reactions: jpr

·
Registered
398 Posts
Were I to begin riding now (at the age of 60) I would likely have a problem finding what I would like... I fell in love with the following in the mid-1990s after buying the first issue of Early Riders... which featured a blue-green 1940 Indian 440 (among others, including more Indians).

Although I could settle for an Indian 841 ;) .

And yes, I still have the issue:

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Registered
468 Posts
Kid has a new (2014) Bonnie and loves it. It's similar to, but not the same as the old Bonnie- I think it's that the pistons alternate instead of coming down together like the old twins- either less bottom end torque or I'm just that much fatter. :eek:
Almost. The old Triumph and BSA twins from the day had a 360 degree crank, both pistons went up and down together and fired alternately, one full turn after the other. Even firing pulses, sounded great. The Honda and other Japanese twins had a 180 degree crank, one up, one down, and they fired a half rotation apart instead of a full rotation, so there was a 540 degree spin before the next firing; they sounded terrible, I thought.
When the new Triumphs came out, they put a 270 degree crank in them, one piston at TDC, the other halfway between TDC and BDC. the firing order is still irregular, but closer to the original than a 180 degree crank, so they sound more like an original, but not quite the same. I think the new Triumph twins look pretty good, but I'd still prefer the originals, even if they aren't as reliable. I'd try to find a late 60's Bonneville, or a late 60's BSA Lightning, if I ever bought another bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
Very nice. I always say that I'm going to get me a nice sample of a CB750. Every day, old motorcycles go up in value. One of the very few things better than investing in guns is motorcycles. I sold almost all of my Japanese motorcycles some years ago, but I kept two for now, a 1976 RD400 and a 1972 Yamaha TX750. I will sell the TX750 probably next year as I'm not really attached to it, but I may either get the RD400 restored or sell it and buy one already done. I'm keeping at least one two stroke and since I sold my 1973 Kawasaki 500 Triple, the RD400 will stay for a while. My daily rider is a 1947 Indian Chief.

Leland
I had a yellow RD 400 1978 with Black checkered stripes, loved it.

Thewelshm

Reactions: jpr and gunjunkie

·
Registered
20,368 Posts
I would love to have my old 1972 CB750, that I bought brand new after graduating college. I crashed it. It was so fast that it nearly killed me 2 1/2 months later.!!!! Never bought another bike. :rolleyes: A whole lot faster than the SL350 I learned to ride on. It messed up my entire life, to this day! I never fully recovered from a head injury, that left me handicapped and disabled. I thought that I was invincible. :cool: Guess that I was wrong!!!! :cry: Bob

·
Registered
468 Posts
My 59 Fl. I still have it. View attachment 571602
Pan heads are my favorite HD. That one looks a lot like one my friend Terry has. He's been a restorer of motorcycles about as long as I've known him, since the early 1970's, we graduated from HS together. I wish I had more pictures of his workshop, there are at least 8 other HD's in the room with this one.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pan heads are my favorite HD. That one looks a lot like one my friend Terry has. He's been a restorer of motorcycles about as long as I've known him, since the early 1970's, we graduated from HS together. I wish I had more pictures of his workshop, there are at least 8 other HD's in the room with this one.
View attachment 579769
Clean pan. Is it 6 or 12 volt?

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
A couple of weeks ago a friend and I made a run down to South Carolina so he could pick up a 38 knucklehead. Talking with my buddy on the drive down I find out that the old gent that owns the bike used to live in my hometown. He bought the bike in 1957 when he was 15. It just so happens that my Grandfather was the Harley Davidson dealer in town. Unfortunately he passed when I was 2 years old. When we arrived at the gent’s house I asked him if he remembered the Harley dealer in town. He immediately said my Grandfathers name and said that he remembered him well. When I told him that was my Grandfather he was pretty shocked. I was quite happy as that is the only person I have ever met that knew my Grandfather.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Clean pan. Is it 6 or 12 volt?
I couldn't say. It's an early 60's bike, but he sometimes modifies some of the older ones to be more reliable. I mentioned there were eight or more bikes in the room; three are pan heads, 2 are knuckleheads, 2 are flatheads, and one of those is a KH. He has a couple of later shovelheads that he rides most of the time. He's restored several Indians, as well as Triumph and BSA. There's a rack with maybe a dozen engines over in a corner. I have to say I don't know a lot about Harley's except the basic stuff like engine types, I was more of a Brit bike fan, and later rode several Kawasakis before I quit riding in the later 1980's.

I dug around in my photo files and found a couple more pics from his shop. They still don't show the extent of what's in there.
This one has an S&S engine, I think around 1400 cc, and has a belt primary drive.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

and the two he rides most of the time:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

21 - 38 of 38 Posts