Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold the 74 Boss Maroon Metallic CB750 a little over a year ago. Had another 74 in 1977 was my first CB750 and had 6 of them altogether over the years. Always had the 4 into 1 header on all my air cooled 4 cylinders. I rebuilt the carburetors on this last one with oem needle/seats.gaskets, tuned it, set the valves, waxed and hand polished the aluminum lower forks, engine covers, hubs, etc..
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Sky
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
92 Posts
Very nice. I always say that I'm going to get me a nice sample of a CB750. Every day, old motorcycles go up in value. One of the very few things better than investing in guns is motorcycles. I sold almost all of my Japanese motorcycles some years ago, but I kept two for now, a 1976 RD400 and a 1972 Yamaha TX750. I will sell the TX750 probably next year as I'm not really attached to it, but I may either get the RD400 restored or sell it and buy one already done. I'm keeping at least one two stroke and since I sold my 1973 Kawasaki 500 Triple, the RD400 will stay for a while. My daily rider is a 1947 Indian Chief.

Leland

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice. I always say that I'm going to get me a nice sample of a CB750. Every day, old motorcycles go up in value. One of the very few things better than investing in guns is motorcycles. I sold almost all of my Japanese motorcycles some years ago, but I kept two for now, a 1976 RD400 and a 1972 Yamaha TX750. I will sell the TX750 probably next year as I'm not really attached to it, but I may either get the RD400 restored or sell it and buy one already done. I'm keeping at least one two stroke and since I sold my 1973 Kawasaki 500 Triple, the RD400 will stay for a while. My daily rider is a 1947 Indian Chief.

Leland
Thanks I had the perfect storm on Ebay with one bidder at my $6000 starting price and no reserve. I had 73 or 75 watchers and not one of them jumped on it like I thought they would at the end. Anyways I had fun with it and made my money back. Drove it for 6 months.Didn't leak a drop of oil and ran as good as new or better.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Man..... I like that CB 750-4, and would love to have one!
I learned to ride on a CB200, and I really wish that I had it back.
I was too cool to ride the little Honda about age 21, and bought a Kawasaki LTD750.
The Kawi, ran like a raped ape, and and a lot of time, I rode it like it was stolen. It is a wonder that I am still alive to tell about it.
I started collecting small Honda bikes several years ago. Mostly early Mini Trails, and managed to pick up six, of them, before the price went through the roof.
Also picked up two CB 125's, and an odd ball one year only Honda Trail 125.
I still ride, but ride very carefully these days. I really love all bikes, but have a soft spot for old Hondas..

Reactions: jpr

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
22,196 Posts
One thing all those older bikes have one common, terrible seats guaranteed to induce numb butt after a short ride and cause you to walk funny....lol

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Boy... seeing those bikes of that era sure brings back some memories. I started out on a 1971 Honda CL-350, moved up to a 1972 Yamaha XS-2 650 twin (I nicknamed it the "vibromatic"), and then to this 1978 Yamaha 750 Special, which I absolutely loved until it got totaled, when a lady ran a red light and t-boned me in an intersection in 1980. Got me on my left side, drove the shifting lever into my left ankle and shattered it. I'm damned lucky to still have my leg below the knee, but decades later, I'm still experiencing pain in that ankle whenever it gets cold with all of the hardware used to put it back together.

That 750 was a 3-cyl with a shaft drive, a sweet cruiser, and I liked that being a 3 cylinder, it sounded different from all of the other 750 cc bikes on the road, except for perhaps, the Triumph Trident.

My cousin and I ended up with these two... logged lots of miles and good times on them, this was on the way to Yosemite.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
One thing all those older bikes have one common, terrible seats guaranteed to induce numb butt after a short ride and cause you to walk funny....lol
LOL... Yeah, and if you lived in the SF Bay area way back when (like I did)... people thought you had a rough weekend in the Castro district with your favorite butt buddy. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: SBC1320 and jpr

·
Registered
370 Posts
This thread set my wayback machine to 1972, when I bought my first motorcycle, when I was 18. It was a new 1972 Triumph Daytona. Broke it in on a trip from NC to Maryland to see a girl. Then I rode it to Key West later that year, plus about half of Florida. Chopped it the next year, regretted it after 6 months of riding a hardtail, sold it and found another '72 Daytona that was stock, and rode it for another couple of years I put TT pipes on it and changed the handlebars, this is it, and I'm the bigger of the two people sitting on it:
Wheel Tire Photograph Automotive tire Vehicle

I sold that one and went without for a couple of years, then bought a 1975 Kawasaki S3 from a guy I worked with. This isn't it, but mine looked just like it:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

While I was enjoying that bike, I went riding with some guys one weekend; one guy had this beautiful 1974 Kawasaki Z-1B 900, and wanted to sell it. I gave him $100 on the spot to hold it, took out a loan and bought it. It's now 1979, and this bike only had 1500 miles on it. I rode it until 1985 and put 70K on it. It had the header on it when I bought it, and man, did it sound great!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motorcycle

I moved a couple of years later, and met a whole new bunch of guys to ride with. They were a bit more "radical" and most were on sportbikes of some sort. I was in the mood for a change, and Kawasaki had come out with their new 900 in 1984. I sold my Z-1 and bought a 1985 GPZ900R, or "Ninja". That one got broke in on the way to Daytona in 1985, and I went again on it in 1986. In between, and after, I was all over the place on that bike rode it to Ohio, Alabama, and another trip to NY state, across Vermont and New Hampshire to the Maine coast. About half a dozen track days over the next couple of years,, one of them at Watkins Glen Raceway, in NY. Here I am on it at "The Rock", Rockingham Motor Speedway in NC which had a nice infield road course which included the front straight, back straight and three turns of the banked oval..
Tire Wheel Helmet Fuel tank Motorcycle helmet

I quit riding, cold turkey, in 1987 after several "seeing God" close calls, all on the street. I decided if I wanted to grow old, I'd better get off. Haven't been on a bike since, but I think of riding every single day.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I gave them up in 1981 when I bought my first BMW. I was curious last week and wrote out a list of all the bikes that I have owned and was surprised that it was an even 50.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
This thread set my wayback machine to 1972, when I bought my first motorcycle, when I was 18. It was a new 1972 Triumph Daytona. Broke it in on a trip from NC to Maryland to see a girl. Then I rode it to Key West later that year, plus about half of Florida. Chopped it the next year, regretted it after 6 months of riding a hardtail, sold it and found another '72 Daytona that was stock, and rode it for another couple of years I put TT pipes on it and changed the handlebars, this is it, and I'm the bigger of the two people sitting on it:
View attachment 562899
I sold that one and went without for a couple of years, then bought a 1975 Kawasaki S3 from a guy I worked with. This isn't it, but mine looked just like it:
View attachment 562901

While I was enjoying that bike, I went riding with some guys one weekend; one guy had this beautiful 1974 Kawasaki Z-1B 900, and wanted to sell it. I gave him $100 on the spot to hold it, took out a loan and bought it. It's now 1979, and this bike only had 1500 miles on it. I rode it until 1985 and put 70K on it. It had the header on it when I bought it, and man, did it sound great!
View attachment 562902

I moved a couple of years later, and met a whole new bunch of guys to ride with. They were a bit more "radical" and most were on sportbikes of some sort. I was in the mood for a change, and Kawasaki had come out with their new 900 in 1984. I sold my Z-1 and bought a 1985 GPZ900R, or "Ninja". That one got broke in on the way to Daytona in 1985, and I went again on it in 1986. In between, and after, I was all over the place on that bike rode it to Ohio, Alabama, and another trip to NY state, across Vermont and New Hampshire to the Maine coast. About half a dozen track days over the next couple of years,, one of them at Watkins Glen Raceway, in NY. Here I am on it at "The Rock", Rockingham Motor Speedway in NC which had a nice infield road course which included the front straight, back straight and three turns of the banked oval..
View attachment 562903

I quit riding, cold turkey, in 1987 after several "seeing God" close calls, all on the street. I decided if I wanted to grow old, I'd better get off. Haven't been on a bike since, but I think of riding every single day.
Yep... I know the feeling brother. I gave up riding in 1995 due to too many stupid people on the roads and those "see God" experiences.

My last bike was a '95 GpZ1100... and it scared the stink out of me with all of that HP. My other problem was the "balls to the wall" 18 year old rider in me that was still trying to write checks that my 50+ year old self couldn't cash... another good reason to called it.

But you know, that open road still calls to me... with the "Retro" bike resurgence, I just might be on one again....

·
Registered
370 Posts
too many stupid people on the roads and those "see God" experiences. My last bike was a '95 GpZ1100... and it scared the stink out of me with all of that HP. My other problem was the "balls to the wall" 18 year old rider in me was still trying to write checks that my 50+ year old self couldn't cash...
Egg-zackly why I quit.

I keep thinking about trying to find an old Brit twin, like I started out on. You can just barely get killed on one of them, if you can keep them running long enough. :p At least I could tinker on it, crank it up and listen to it run in the driveway. take it to car shows, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Egg-zackly why I quit.

I keep thinking about trying to find an old Brit twin, like I started out on. You can just barely get killed on one of them, if you can keep them running long enough. :p At least I could tinker on it, crank it up and listen to it run in the driveway. take it to car shows, etc.
LOL... I remember the first time I climbed aboard a Brit bike, my friend's Norton 750 Commando. We switched rides for a day so we each could see what each other's ride was like... I kept trying to shift the rear brake level and he kept down shifting gears on my Honda trying to hit rear break. We traded ride backs after about a 1/2 hour.

Triumph has come out with a "retro" Bonneville line, the T1000 & T1200 that has piqued my interests, since I'm getting the bug to start riding again, now that I'm living in a rural area.

• Haha
Reactions: delcrossv

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've still got my first road bike, a 1962 BSA Royal Star my uncle bought new. I've only went through the engine and left everything else original. I just put rear brakes on it last weekend. It runs like a champ.

Gorgeous bike. One of my best friends and high school mates had one of those, but a 1968 model. His is what convinced me to buy a British motorcycle when I got the Triumph. I'd love to have either a BSA or a Triumph from the late 1960's to play with.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts