Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never had much interest in Evil Black Rifles. I've always been more of a wood stock and deep blueing kind of guy. When the first Assault Weapons Ban went into effect, I went to a large local gun shop with a fellow officer who bought a Colt AR-15 for $2000. I thought he was nuts. I told him to buy two Colt SAA .45's instead. They were $999 each. All these years later, he would have been better off financially with those two single action revolvers. He's still never shot the AR15 and he still can't get $2000 for it (even with the craziness going on with the market right now).

About two years ago, several officers on my department (new guys and some with recent military/Iraq/Afganistan experience) purchased various AR's. The more I was exposed to these guns, the most interested I found myself.

For police patrol, I am not a big fan of the HK MP5 9mm that I have in my squad car. It's heavy and awkward. The 10 inch barrel doesn't give the 9mm cartridge that much more velocity. I like the accuracy of a shoulder fired, single projectile weapon and the two 30 magazines. But I don't see many scenarios where I would use it.

The call I always imagine is a drunk guy standing in his front yard with a pistol, shooting at the houses around him. I would park my squad a couple blocks away. I would walk in. I would keep a brick house or a big, thick tree between me and the bad guy. If I could use my handgun to shoot the bad guy if he starts firing rounds at people, then he would be in range of shooting me.

I like the idea that the MP5 gives me some distance. But if I'm going to lug the MP5, I'd rather have a more accurate shoulder fired weapon firing a more powerful cartridge. A .308 AR style rifle would be ideal.

But the .223 will work too. I'm not a huge fan of the .223/5.56 cartridge either, especially since the guys I've talked to with real military experience with it say it isn't the best man stopper.

It seems everyone makes an AR nowadays. The versions that most intrigued me were S&W's M&P15's. I was on the edge of buying one until Ruger's announcement of the SR556 at the NRA Show on May 15th. It has every option I wanted. The guys who have them say the impingement system is a real pain the buttocks to clean. The gas piston system is much easier to clean, keep clean, and I really like that the Ruger system has four positions. You can set it on 0 and work the bolt manually so you don't have to chase brass 30 feet away. You set it on 2 for everyday shooting. If you use weak target reloads, then you can set it on 1. If you're in the desert, shooting 1500 rounds to save your life, you can set it on 3 if it starts jamming so then more gas will be diverted to work the bolt. Pretty neat.

With an actual selling price of $1699, the breakdown over converting someone elses AR becomes apparent. The Troy battle sights are $250. The Troy quad rail is $240. The Hogue grip is $25. The M4 style stock is $75. The muzzle break/flash hider is $60. The rail covers (3 included) are $12 each. The SR556 comes with 3 proven Magpul 30 round magazines which would be $15 each. The gas piston conversion system, if bought aftermarket, is easily $450. That all totals at $1181 if you do the work yourself.

Subtract the $1181 from the $1699 and that means you have to buy an AR15 somewhere for $518. Good luck on finding one for that price, right?

If I'm lucky I'll shoot it a bit on Monday or Tuesday. Then next Friday I intend to shoot it at 50 and 100 yards at the outdoor range I go to.

Oh boy! Fun!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Re: My new Ruger SR556 (I finally have a true EBR!)

The only thing bad I can say about all of the new piston AR's is the fact everyone wanted to do something unique to their company.

I have two piston 5.56 guns, an AR180B and a Robinson Arms XCR.

I prefer them over the direct impingement Colt I own.

bob

·
Registered
2,677 Posts

I wonder of ruger will ever chamber one of those in a 308.They are fairly heavy and would make a good sniper rifle kind of like the new 110 the military is buying.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts

Remember now this is Ruger we are talking about, and they are known for doing strange things at times. It wouldn't surprize me to see them chamber it in something like .204Ruger before they went with something else or 6.8 for that matter.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Wow I'm impressed. I would love to own one but alas no funds at this time. on a side note Serial # 66 guns belong to a gentleman up in Maine. he goes by Ruger66 on the Ruger forum. you didnt happen to buy it from him did ya? his name is Vaughn C. a great guy to deal with.

Dan

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Actually Dan, I blotted out the last two digits of the four digit serial number. So Mr. 66 hopefully has his already! I'm 6600 above that number.

·
Registered
402 Posts

mm6mm6,
Excellent post on a fine rifle that Ruger has just released. I got the urge to buy a gas piston .556 rifle about 3 months ago during the height of the gun rush that has been going on. Nada..nothing available at the time. I had to think outside of the box for a bit and bingo..a Daewoo K-2 was enroute. It's a great rifle with its own merits and I'll post back later on it. Kinda wish that I had known that Ruger was coming out with their version. Sorry for the thread drift. Range report is needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thats a great looking rifle. It looks very similiar to my S&W M&P15T :cool: A range report is a must. I have been eyeing one of these since they came out. I am very interested in how you like it once you have range time with it.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My buddy shot his Ruger Mini-14 Tactical and I shot my SR556 today.

We were shooting indoors and the maximum range is 25 yards.

The trigger on SR556 is very good. The Troy Battle Sights are excellent. I found them very easy to line up. They were dead on at 25 yards, I didn't touch their adjustments.

I fired this 30 round group, standing, offhand at 25 yards. I didn't really take my time either. I just pressed the trigger once I re-acquired my front sight.

I was very happy with the group, all inside the 10 with lots of X's! I hope to put my Leupold 3-9x40mm scope on the SR556 and shoot it bench rested at 100 yards on Friday.

No jams, no hiccups of any kind with about 4 mags through it.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I'm not a great rifle shooter. I used some high, see through mounts to put my Leupold 3-9x40mm VX1 on the SR556. I got it on target pretty quick. I could put almost every shot in the white bullseye at 50 yards.

I moved over to the 100 yard range. I could easily put all my rounds in the black circle. I was using a sandbag as a rest. I could get some good shots, but it was me, not the rifle.

A guy I know from the pistol league I shoot in was at the range. He is an outstanding pistol shot. I asked him if he wanted to try the SR556. He was excited to give it a go. He really liked the rifle alot. He totally understood what made it so good.

His three shot target is above with the rifle. The scope was adjusted for my eye. He put three shots in an inch and half easily. But he's much better of a shot than I am!

So I'd say the SR556 shoots great!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'm set to go now! Ruger folding vertical foregrip, dual sling attachment ring for my Tactical Tailor single point CWB sling, and BSA red dot electronic reflex sight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts