Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to show you all my new ankle bug when I'm out and about the world. It's a cool light weight 38 spl +p 5 shot. They call it a 442, and to be honest I never seen one as I'm kinda old fashioned. As I was walking the windows at the favorite store today, I asked to check it out. Hey this one looks good, and it's light.

So I traded the 24 year old bug off my leg for a light weight. I swapped out the grips and checked the lasers point of aim, It seemed low so I brought it up a touch. After doing a neuter job on the insides, I swapped out the rebound spring for something more desirable.
Lock up, timing, end shake, cylinder air gap all check out to be made quite well.
My only complaints are when I had it opened up, it was completely dry, no lube any where. I guess S&W ran out oil down at the assembly line.

I like the color, and the weight. It's been 5 years since I bought a new smith revolver. I guess I was missing out on some of the neat little ones...

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
I've been hankering to get a 442 for quite awhile now, but my old
M-36 is still doing the job as my CCW. I'd like an older one without the lock or MIM, if that's possible. Only thing is........I like shooting the M-36 with +P ammo. It's got enough weight to tame the recoil a bit, and it's got just about the smoothest trigger ever on a J frame.
(Must've had a S&W trigger job when it belonged to a local Police Chief.)

The worn nickel finish is OK with me on a carry gun.......I don't have to baby this one!!! ;) It now wears fancy wood Spiegel Boot Grips for summer concealed carry with shorts and a T shirt. ;) Bob

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
I think he did, Drew. He mentions neutering it. :D

I have it's more sophisticated cousin, the 642. :mrgreen: Goes with me everywhere.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Retired LEO and a gun buff,so I went from the EDC of a Glock 23 to the summer lightweight = SMITH & WESSON 442.It shoots +P very well and at 14 ounces is not uncomfortable for my old hands.Its a fun gun to carry as you really dont notice it,IWB or ankle or even older Brauer Bros leather paddle.And did a shoulder holster a few days ago [ Alessi ].If you dont own at least one of the 'J's your missing out on a classic.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sebago Son said:
ACKKKKKK! Keylock! Did you unplug the Ignition Switch?
YES yes yes!

When you leave a store here in CT, the laws says it must have a trigger lock installed. thepuke Now I walk in with a loaded gun, unloaded it , trade the old one for the new one, pay the difference and go back to the truck. I take it out of the box, to check it out further, and the darn thing won't work! That little geek turned the key without me even noticing that he did. Well, I won't tolerate a carry gun with a surprise so of course I did.

If you look close at the picture the little hole is missing a pin. Please don't turn me into S&W, as I fixed the political correct thingy...

Did you guys know that the IL are all the same, from the little Js to the X, nearly all the parts are the same and will interchange? I know, I'm known to always have a screw driver in my hands....

Don't knock the little gun, as the light weight is a good thing, and I sure like the dark finish, as sometimes the stainless stuck out when it was sitting in my pants pocket. This gun will be less noticeable which could be a good thing.

The lock don't bother me, as this one, the flag in all inside, so nothing to see, only the grease hole is present, but it's black and it's not really noticeable. The key, where is the key, as I don't need it because the lock don't work! HA HA!! weiweinp

I went to the range today and test fired the 38 and to check the POI with the laser. It goes bang everytime like it should but the recoil is noticeable. Interesting, as it seems like a 357 out of a steel gun. Still completely comfortable, but it did surprise me. From where I look thru the top of the sights, it prints slightly right. I wonder if it is twisting in my sweaty dirty fingers. No big deal, I adjusted the laser to where it hits. I'm good to go to town with it kfjdrfirii

1 - 6 of 6 Posts