Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My "New" 625-6 Mountain Gun UPDATE

Just picked this up.

When I got through shooting my 3" .45 Colt 625-7 at the local indoor range, I did my usual and went to the gun displays to see what was new in consignments. There was a 625-6 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt staring at me. Naturally, I had to look at it. They were asking $750. I threw out $700. OK, so maybe I wasn't merely looking at that point. The owner was contacted and she countered with $725. I said, "Deal".

The front sight was painted red. Some acetone and an old toothbrush will fix that. The rear blade was filed down at the corners. I have a new blade for that. A few scratches here and there, but otherwise everything looks good.

No box or papers, but I didn't buy it to look at. I have a collection of guns, but I don't collect guns. I shoot them. The grips are Ahrend's Tactical. I prefer the smooth version, which I have on other N frames, but these might be OK. Time will tell.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

·
Registered
451 Posts
I really like it. You definitely made the right move. Nice!! I have 4 non shooter, that I have shot, but the guns are so pristine and have all the goodies. I decided not shoot them any more. Don't worry I have enough shooters.:D

·
Super Moderator
19,531 Posts
Oh my, that's really nice. Great acquisition at that price.
Enjoy it in good health!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
As others have mentioned, good buy! I have a -?, ACP, Mountain Gun. I paid a bit more than you did but prices vary depending on location. The rounded rear sight is interesting. As the armorer for my department, I did that to a lot of rear sight blades to help the plain clothes guys and gals. They seemed to think it helped prevent snagging and chafing of the clothing.

Yours looks in good shape. Enjoy it.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You might like the red front sight. My S&W 686 .357 magnum came with a factory orange insert in the front sight and it really helps with target acquisition.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ShooterGranny, I have several revolvers with various colored front sight inserts. They were good when I shot outdoors. These days it's all at an indoor range, where it doesn't really matter.

Also, my objective with this gun is to return it to mostly original condition. I actually have a set of Hogue rubber grips that are identical to the ones that came on this gun, minus the S&W logo. These days I prefer wood, so the Ahrend's will stay, or get replaced with a set of the smooth version.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took the Mountain Gun to the range today after doing a bit of work on it yesterday.

The rear blade was replaced and the red paint from the the front was removed.

There was an excess of oil on the outside, so when I removed the grips, not surprisingly, there was oil on them. All of the screws, sideplate, thumpiece and strain were not tight. The inside looked like oil was sprayed on everything and of course there was a build up of grime and residue. I stripped it all down, cleaned and inspected everything, lubed it, sparingly, and put it back together. Fortunately everything was in good condition.

At the range the load consisted of Starline brass, federal primer, 8 grains of Unique and a Bear Creek Supply 255 grain rnfp bullet. The target has 25 rounds in it shot at 10 yards.

Overall, I'm happy with the gun and it's not going anywhere.

2-3-2020.JPG

·
Registered
24,320 Posts
Took the Mountain Gun to the range today after doing a bit of work on it yesterday.

The rear blade was replaced and the red paint from the the front was removed.

There was an excess of oil on the outside, so when I removed the grips, not surprisingly, there was oil on them. All of the screws, sideplate, thumpiece and strain were not tight. The inside looked like oil was sprayed on everything and of course there was a build up of grime and residue. I stripped it all down, cleaned and inspected everything, lubed it, sparingly, and put it back together. Fortunately everything was in good condition.

At the range the load consisted of Starline brass, federal primer, 8 grains of Unique and a Bear Creek Supply 255 grain rnfp bullet. The target has 25 rounds in it shot at 10 yards.

Overall, I'm happy with the gun and it's not going anywhere.

View attachment 442341
Great shooting. Glad your happy with the newest member to your stable.:cool:

Reactions: Irate45
1 - 15 of 15 Posts