Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and just got my dream gun. Just received a 29-3, 6” barrel off gun broker. Absolutely beautiful! I took it out and shot a few rounds yesterday using American Eagle 44 mag, 240 gr jhp. It’s a fun gun to shoot but a handful with those loads. What ammo is recommended just shooting paper and plinking with less recoil? Something more enjoyable to shoot at a regular basis? I still like shooting the hot loads occasionally. I don’t want to use 44 special mostly because I plan on getting into reloading in the future and I’ll be keeping my 44 mag brass for that time then I can reload light loads for shooting regularly. My dad mentioned cowboy loads. I’m not too familiar with them. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
44 mag practice ammo

I just bought a 29-3 and love it. Yesterday I shot it for the first time. I was shooting American Eagle 240gn jhp I’m looking for some factory lighter, less recoil loads for target ammo. I know I can go with 44 special but I’d rather stay with magnum rounds mainly because I’m keeping all the casings for when I start reloading. What about cowboy action rounds? Any recommendations? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Nice revolver !buy and shoot whatever .44 special is on sale and save the brass till you start reloading, Cowboy loads are Lead Round Nose bullets . I have a 686 and just shoot.38 spl FMJ ,LRN and few .357 mags now and then I would like to reload but have limited space in patio apartment

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been reloading for my 629-6 for a little over a year now. I keep a few boxes of mags but shoot mostly specials as visitors seem to like them better. Like you, I still love the mags from time to time but the specials are less expensive to reload and just as fun to fire. If you truly enjoy firearms you'll probably enjoy reloading as well.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Any of the "cowboy action loads" in 44 magnum will get you what you're looking for. Armscore or HSM are both good.
Eventually you may want to load your own. It is great to be able to tailor them to be just what you want.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Same answer as in your other thread.
Cowboy action loads.

·
Banned
917 Posts
Buy bulk, online, from a supplier who ships free. Two of my favorite brands are Fiocchi, and S&B.

Post the question as many times as you want, I'm only asnwering it once.

·
Registered
15,423 Posts
It's all praxtice to me unless I'm killing something. Then practice rounds become killing rounds.

·
Super Moderator
33,417 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and just got my dream gun. Just received a 29-3, 6” barrel off gun broker. Absolutely beautiful! I took it out and shot a few rounds yesterday using American Eagle 44 mag, 240 gr jhp. It’s a fun gun to shoot but a handful with those loads. What ammo is recommended just shooting paper and plinking with less recoil? Something more enjoyable to shoot at a regular basis? I still like shooting the hot loads occasionally. I don’t want to use 44 special mostly because I plan on getting into reloading in the future and I’ll be keeping my 44 mag brass for that time then I can reload light loads for shooting regularly. My dad mentioned cowboy loads. I’m not too familiar with them. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Recommendation #1 44 Special
Recommendation #2 If you shot factory magnum loads, get some smooth grips so the checkering doesn't eat you palm up.
My 2 cents

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
I roll my own 240 lead, you can load max or min, real versatile caliber ... congrats mate.

Thewelshm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts