Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I have an addiction to S&W revolvers, I'm also a lover of the Garand-type rifles, both M1 and M1A.

I recently had an opportunity to get a nice used M1A National Match. While at Camp Perry in August, I picked up a Fulton Armory scope mount, and proceeded to mount a Mueller 8-32x50 scope on it.

I've run several different types of 7.62 Lake City, and Lake City Match ammo through it, along with some handloads with 168gr Sierra MK BTHP. I also decided to try some 147gr BTFMJ bullets, over 43gr of IMR4895 and LC once fired brass. I had used those in my 7.62mm M1's, and they performed very nicely (approx. 1.5MOA @ 100yds).

I managed to get this five-shot group @ 100 yds with the same load. I held on the zero point, and put five rounds virtually in the same hole. The group-measuring software says the group measures .0006 MOA. After firing this group, it was time to case up and go home!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As requested:

·
Registered
181 Posts
"After firing this group, it was time to case up and go home!"

I agree,as it doesn't get much better than that !

·
Super Moderator
33,351 Posts
Very nice rifle and shooting! kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
20,140 Posts
Dennis, You are a serious shooter! hvapa;p; kjdfjemnd I enjoy hearing (well.....reading :roll: ) about your endeavers, and seeing your amazing collection of Target Rifles. I guess you've been 'bitten by the bug'!

If I remember correctly, you were a Marksman in the Army
(or Marines) before you retired. It's amazing to me that you've had a career of shooting rifles and pistols. ;) Bob

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dennis,
I ran a M1A NM across the course for a couple years... the darn thing shot amazing groups. Other than that, it drove me nuts. Clean to fouled shots were 3 moa to the right, sights tracked to whatever they felt like on a given day, and you could toss in a wandering zero between matches. It did run... never had a single alibi with that gun. Switched over to a M70 built by Roy Dunlop about half way through a season and never looked back.

I hope your rifle behaves better than mine if you decide to run it.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Very nice looking gun, and groupings! Keep the pics and range reports coming!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob K said:
Dennis, You are a serious shooter! hvapa;p; kjdfjemnd I enjoy hearing (well.....reading :roll: ) about your endeavers, and seeing your amazing collection of Target Rifles. I guess you've been 'bitten by the bug'!

If I remember correctly, you were a Marksman in the Army
(or Marines) before you retired. It's amazing to me that you've had a career of shooting rifles and pistols. ;) Bob
I was in the Navy, serving in the Seabees. I qualified at Camp Fogarty, RI, and Camp Lejeune. I shot at Camp Perry from 1971-1974 while in the Navy Reserve, but had to put that on the back burner for family and career. I spent my career in accounting/finance/IT, retiring almost four years ago. Since then, I decided to enjoy things I had put on the shelf. I took up trap and skeet shooting again, and started enjoying target rifle shooting again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts