Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Relatively new to guns. Purchased a new MP AR 15 223 4 months ago. It blew up at the range. Very dangerous situation. New Rem 223 ammo and not rapid firing. Do I need an attorney? Any advice. I’ve heard S&W will blame the ammo and blow you off. Any advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
What use would you possibly have for an attorney? Contact S&W & they'll very likely replace it. An attorney would charge a larger consulting fee than the cost of a new rifle, surely you aren't under the delusion this is your ticket to making money???

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
What use would you possibly have for an attorney? Contact S&W & they'll very likely replace it. An attorney would charge a larger consulting fee than the cost of a new rifle, surely you aren't under the delusion this is your ticket to making money???
Exactly....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s not about money. Reading online, this occurred to 2 others who sent their gun in to S&W and they blamed the ammo and kept the gun. All I want is the gun replaced. My son’s arm was hurt and burned in the process. I have it all on video from the range. I had no idea this could even happen. This gun was new.

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
You have documentation of the incident. Hopefully you saved the ammo box and any unshot ammo. I would contact both S&W and the ammo company. Every case is different. If you or any others this happened to are shooting reloads the claim will be denied.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have documentation of the incident. Hopefully you saved the ammo box and any unshot ammo. I would contact both S&W and the ammo company. Every case is different. If you or any others this happened to are shooting reloads the claim will be denied.
thanks, helpful. I agree on the reloads. It was not reloads. I have it all on video. The indoor range had it recorded very clearly. Thanks

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
I have to ask out of patent curiosity, what exactly 'blew up'? Blew up is a very general statement.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It blew the side off and sent medal pieces flying, cracked the upper and bent the bolt. It blew apart at the range. Not sure how else to describe it. I’m probably not describing it perfectly as I mentioned, I’m relatively new to guns. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Not always or at least not in the case of my 460's issues. Was very up front with S&W about shooting handloads in my 460 XVR. Even offered to send some back with the revolver when they serviced it but I also gave them the exact breakdown as to propellant, quantity, primer type and size, case and the dies I set them with as well as the pill I was using and had no issues at all. I know what it says in the owners manual, I do read manuals unlike most people who don't, but then, my issues had nothing to do with anything 'blowing up', whatever that implies.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would load the video but I don’t my son’s picture on here. I’m sure blew up is not the technical term but that is exactly what happened. If you watch the video, the thing blew up in his face.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Interesting. In as much as I don't do or own any black guns, looks to me like the bolt got pretty damn hot at some point. I'm sure out qualified gun people will chime in shortly.

Looks to me like it's junk though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Never saw one come apart there. There could have been a casting flaw in the upper. I would definitely contact S&W
There was an X military guy at the range. He said the same thing you did. This gun is relatively inexpensive. Are they junk in general? Should I not replace with another S&W?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Inexpensive has nothing to do with it. I have used an M16-AR15 rifles for over 40 years, in and out of combat. I have NEVER seen one do that!! Looks like it got real hot and maybe over charge on round? I would call S&W and send them pictures and brand of ammo. What brand was it? I am sure they will want to see the rifle at Smith.

·
Super Moderator
19,294 Posts
Did you purchase it new in the box from a retail dealer? Was this rifle new in the factory sealed box when you bought it? Or did you purchase this from a person that had it previously?

Did the rifle come painted that way from the factory? Or was it painted afterwards?
Was the barrel ever removed from the upper to your knowledge? To me it looks like a stress fracture in the front of the upper from over tightening the barrel into the upper, and/or possible misalignment of the chamber to the upper. It also looks like an out of battery discharge. The only way this could happen is for the bolt not to be locked into the chamber when the round was detonated. There is a chance the firing pin was stuck in the forward position of the bolt and caused the detonation. Did you disassemble, clean and properly lubricate the bolt mechanism before heading out to the range, or was this used without an initial cleaning and lubrication?

Did this happen when the bolt came forward, or immediately after you pulled the trigger.
Lots of questions as to how this happened, and only one answer to the real cause.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Again, the bolt looks like it got real hot at some point and it has that dry baked look too. More here than meets the eye.

I'd call Smith, get an RMA and a retuen Fed-Ex pre paid label and return it. Will be nice if you have the original box in came it.

One question I have is, Why is this 4 months later? I would have gotten immediately pro-active and not waited 4 months and then posted on here about it. Cannot get 2=2=4 from that.

Not a round stovepiped in the tube is there?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts