Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you still have problems after you shoot it S&W will send you a gauge to check the bolt face for free ( it’s easy and quick to do) or you can ship the bolt to S&W (free shipping) and they will check it and replace it if need be and ship it back all free.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
As Ridgerunner mentioned, the bolt is the issue. I only know because I was researching the 15-22 and someone showed this to me Sunday.

Below are all of the links from the S&W site to tell you about and what to do. As well a link to order the gauge to check the bolt if you chose that route.

I ordered a new 15-22 anyway, better that it's a known thing and there's already a solution.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp15-22-consumer-safety-alert

https://store.smith-wesson.com/m-p-15-22-bolt-inspection-gauge

http://www.smith-wesson.com/sites/default/files/MP1522_Alert_030619.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJO0gJRmc_c&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Sounds more like a "feature" than a "bug" ;)

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
My new 15-22 showed up today at my FFL. When I got home first thing I did was plug the serial number into the S&W site, it accepted the number, so I assume it's a maybe baby. I'll check as soon as they ship the gauge to me.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Well, actually, I just checked the date of manufacturer of this 15-22, it's 04/29/2019. The S&W notice says it possibly effects rifles made before 02/01/2019. So I guess mine is absolved from that problem. However they're still sending the go no go gauge. I'll check it out, and also give the gauge thickness for anyone that wants it. I'll make a CAD drawing and post it in PDF format.

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Registered
8 Posts
My new 1522 was fine till about 50 rounds,then it started firing 2 round bursts,with occasional 4 round bursts. It just came back from S&W,havent tried it yet

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
As Ridgerunner mentioned, the bolt is the issue. I only know because I was researching the 15-22 and someone showed this to me Sunday.

Below are all of the links from the S&W site to tell you about and what to do. As well a link to order the gauge to check the bolt if you chose that route.

I ordered a new 15-22 anyway, better that it's a known thing and there's already a solution.
Actually no. There is still a problem.

I have a friend who is an attorney in Nashville. He is heavily involved in the Appleseed program. This is a cut and paste from FB messenger to me.

"Below is an email that was sent out by a completely different organization than the Revolutionary War Veterans Association/Project Appleseed. The long and short of it is, not even Smith & Wesson‘s attempted fix resolves the very dangerous problems with their M&P 15/22. They won’t be allowed on the line at Project Appleseed events for a very long time – if ever.

UPDATE: Important Equipment Safety Concern

***UPDATE: SAFETY CONCERN***

Additional information on the safety concern posted previously. First, we thank everyone who has reached out to us and have explained the issues they have personally witnessed. If I had known all this information earlier, this action would have been taken a quite a while ago. As I now understand it there are three issues our teams and coaches have witnessed.

1. The trigger pin walking out causing the firearm to go full auto, emptying the magazine.

2. The bolt space issue subject to the safety alert we shared from S&W. When the alert was released we spoke to the company and were advised this would correct the out of battery issue, as well as an issue with the firearm firing repeatedly as the bolt closes.

3. Firearm firing out of battery.

Plan of action to address concerns:

1. This was witnessed by a coach at an SASP practice. It is my understanding that if we required anti walk trigger pins, this issue would be resolved.

2. It is my understanding that the repeated fire will be fixed by confirming that the spacing is proper with the gauge provided by S&W.

3. Although we were informed this would have been corrected by checking the space with the gauge, it has not. At a SASP State match, a S&W M&P 15-22 fired out of battery, luckily only causing very minor injury to a safety officer. That firearm had, and has again been checked, and passes inspection with the gauge. We have reached out multiple times and left messages with multiple people at S&W to contact us. After no responses from S&W, for the safety of everyone in our program, we sent out the directive to temporarily stop using the firearm in our program. Staff reached out twice on Friday to S&W Customer Service and both times, after a little over 20 minutes on hold, our call was disconnected by S&W without us being able to speak to anyone.

At this point, until we can be assured by S&W that this safety issue is something specific to this one firearm, under no circumstance is this firearm allowed to be used in ANY SASP practice or events.

At no time will SASP compromise when it comes to the safety of the participants in our program.

Respectfully,

Rick Leach
National Director, SASP
About the Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation"

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you want to shoot an AR15 type rimfire buy a Tippmann Arms M4-22. S&W, Appleseed and now SASP will never come to terms on this issue.

Honestly, the Tippmann is a better rifle, (cost more too) and this is coming from a guy that owns 6 15-22's.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
I purchased a 15-22 when they first hit the market a decade ago. Reports of out of battery discharges were flooding Net Forums. Rifes sent back to S&W were returned with the same problem. Somewhere around a year after coming to market S&W began equipping rifles with blue colored action spring. Reports of out of battery discharges pretty much stopped. There are still occasional reports and after a decade I see no reason to believe that will change. My 15-22 had over 40,000 rounds through it. Very much enjoyed the rifle. The most reliable rimfire autoloader I have ever owned. I now primarily shoot a CMMG dedicated.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I purchased a 15-22 when they first hit the market a decade ago. Reports of out of battery discharges were flooding Net Forums. Rifes sent back to S&W were returned with the same problem. Somewhere around a year after coming to market S&W began equipping rifles with blue colored action spring. Reports of out of battery discharges pretty much stopped. There are still occasional reports and after a decade I see no reason to believe that will change.
Not sure what you base your statement on the OOB discharges stopping. S&W came out with the gauge this year to check the bolts. So bad things were still happening and some of the bolts were found to be defective with 2019 mfr dates.

And the fact that I posted a recent letter from an attorney who is an Appleseed instructor. He sent it to me 8/28/19 as he knows I would like to bring my 15-22 to a training class because of how much ammo/cost I would have to shoot. They want a box mag gun for part of the training.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The gauge is for checking head space. Too little head space could result in a slam fire with a rimfire firearm. Too much head space and the firing pin won't strike the rim hard enough for reliable ignition. Really has nothing to do with OOB discharges. OOB discharges are usually the result of out of spec ammo, fouled bolt / chamber or a broken part.

There are other options for a "box mag gun",the Tippmann Arms and CMMG dedicated uppers are just 2. Heck, the Ruger 10-22 with a 15 or 25 round mag would fit the bill for a box magazine.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The gauge is for checking head space. Too little head space could result in a slam fire with a rimfire firearm. Too much head space and the firing pin won't strike the rim hard enough for reliable ignition. Really has nothing to do with OOB discharges. OOB discharges are usually the result of out of spec ammo, fouled bolt / chamber or a broken part.

There are other options for a "box mag gun",the Tippmann Arms and CMMG dedicated uppers are just 2. Heck, the Ruger 10-22 with a 15 or 25 round mag would fit the bill for a box magazine.
Ya, I don't any of the above. I have 2 15-22's. Not going to invest in another .22 rifle.

Fact remains there is still problems, and there will continue to be problems until S&W determines and fixes fixes the problem, or the aftermarket does.

Once again from above.

2. It is my understanding that the repeated fire will be fixed by confirming that the spacing is proper with the gauge provided by S&W.

3. Although we were informed this would have been corrected by checking the space with the gauge, it has not. At a SASP State match, a S&W M&P 15-22 fired out of battery, luckily only causing very minor injury to a safety officer. That firearm had, and has again been checked, and passes inspection with the gauge. We have reached out multiple times and left messages with multiple people at S&W to contact us. After no responses from S&W, for the safety of everyone in our program, we sent out the directive to temporarily stop using the firearm in our program. Staff reached out twice on Friday to S&W Customer Service and both times, after a little over 20 minutes on hold, our call was disconnected by S&W without us being able to speak to anyone.

At this point, until we can be assured by S&W that this safety issue is something specific to this one firearm, under no circumstance is this firearm allowed to be used in ANY SASP practice or events.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Geeeesh... relax.

#3. S&W isn't going to guarantee that particular 15-22 is the only one of their rifles to ever again suffer an OOB. Like I posted earlier, there have been ongoing occasional reports of 15-22 OOB during the past decade even after their blue action spring fix. If the powers at be feel that banning the rifle from events is the right course of action, then that's that. I had an OOB in one of my Ruger pistols. It happens.

As cjt50 pointed out, there's alternative rifles to choose from if these events are important enough to you.

I like my CMMG. About twice the price of a 15-22. Well... as seen below it's several times more than a 15-22 but I enjoy shooting it so what the hell... only live once.

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 7.58.03 PM.png

For those wondering... this is what a case looks like after an OOB. The charge ruptures the case. Most of the time it's just a loud pop, but sometimes a small piece(s) of brass will come from the ejection port that may or may not break the skin. Not pleasant, but not the end of the world.

This is from my 15-22 back in 2010. IIRC, the rifle was at about 10,000rds. S&W installed a blue action spring and no problems for another 30,000 rounds.

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 4.17.26 PM.png

·
Registered
105 Posts
TN622 i don't appreciate being yelled at. I read what you posted and all I'm doing is giving you an explanation what the gauge S&W provides will tell you. The gauge WILL NOT guarantee a firearm will not have an OOB. If the person who sent you this message was led to believe this, he was misinformed. Unfortunately most 1st level folks at S&W customer service are nothing more than people who answer a phone and read a script when dealing with problems. You have to get deeper in the system to get real answers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought mine and took it to the range and after the first mag it started shooting double taps. Good thing the Gun Shop was not open on my way home but I am still pissed. It did this with my Grand daughter. After some research found the trigger pin had walked out, and have since found out that this is a common problem. I have now ordered anti walk pins. I really like the 15-22 but if this is example of S&W Quality Control I will never buy another of their products. This is a known problem and they have not fixed it. NO EXCUSE

21 - 38 of 38 Posts