Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my newly purchased S&W 15-22 to the range today for the first time. Pulled the trigger once, one round fired. Pulled the trigger for the second time, one round fired. Pulled the trigger for the 3rd time and the magazine emptied in what seemed like a second. Figured it was a fluke and put 10 more rounds in the mag to try it again, pulled the trigger and all 10 rounds fired. This is actually my first rifle, let alone my first AR platform so I have no idea what to do and I’m looking for advice. What’s my next step?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Is it brand new or is it new to you as in did you buy it used??

As mentioned call SW but they are closed for summer shut down.

You can try the cleaning but be careful.

Dangerous situation, don't mess with it,

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
There have been reports of out of battery discharges on the 15-22. I haven't heard of this one, however. S&W usually points to the page that lists specific ammo to use, implying user error regarding the out of battery issue. As suggested, clean and reload. I might also revisit the page on ammo and only load just 3 or 4 rounds at first. Load more as you feel comfortable.

Oh. Welcome to the forum.
Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I found one report of a runaway on the Appleseed site.

"I contacted S&W and they sent me a repair tag and shipped it back to them. Upon its return I noticed that they replaced the hammer, sear and all the springs were replaced with “Blue” springs. The rifle performed well after that but I never brought it back to an Appleseed. It now sits in the vault as an expensive club.”

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
Yeah.... you gotta get that fixed. Correct full auto stops when you release the trigger. This is an uncontrolled mag dump. EIther a stuck pin in the "fire" position or a slam fire due to a weak/broken firing pin spring. Same effect. Bolt slams forward and either the pin keeps going with the inertia, or is already "there", so the next round goes off.

Keep it that way and someone gonna tell on you, black helicopters and Tahoes will encircle your residence and mean looking guys in dark sunglasses and REAL full-auto guns will be at your door. :D

Really ATF might maintain you modified the gun to be a full auto item, illegal in any case as no new machine guns can be registered, thus are categorically illegal. I understand they do take a dim view of those things. Don't matter how fun it is!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Usually a run away like that in an 15-22 would suggest a out of spec / broken fire control group. Easy to fix, but since it's new I would send it back to S&W.

If it was mine I would drop a spare AR15 hammer, trigger and disconnector in and see if it corrects the problem. (bet it will :) ) Again, your safest bet is send it in.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I had an SP1 that would double tap every time you pulled the trigger and released it. One round on the pull, and another on the release. I didn't buy the rifle new...and wasn't sure if the trigger was legal or not..but replaced the trigger group and sold the double tapper..for almost as much as I paid for the rifle! Sold it as defective...just to cover my arse..;)

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As others have stated you need to get that fixed despite how fun it could be. Got any pics of this rifle?:)

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
welcome01to the forum from SE Indiana. If it's a new firearm,send it back. If you screw something up trying
to fix it you will probably void the warranty. Don't keep it as is because doing so could put you in legal jeopardy
that would result in quite an expensive adventure.;)

Dick

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I would send it back in. The only rifle that ever did that to me was an M1 carbine. After the initial shock, it was hard to wipe the smile off my face. I tried and tried but I couldn't get it to do it again.....

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Sounds like a stuck firing pin causing a slam fire.

The rifle is brand new. There may be some metal chip blocking retraction of the firing pin, or even a lubrication issue. It should go back to the factory with a report of what happened.

If you feel competent, you can open it up, inspect it and clean it. Take out the bolt and inspect it. If not, just ensure it's unloaded and get it back to Smith and Wesson customer service.

·
Premium Member
6,398 Posts
I found one report of a runaway on the Appleseed site.

"I contacted S&W and they sent me a repair tag and shipped it back to them. Upon its return I noticed that they replaced the hammer, sear and all the springs were replaced with “Blue” springs. The rifle performed well after that but I never brought it back to an Appleseed. It now sits in the vault as an expensive club.”
Last I heard the M&P 15-22 was banned from Appleseed events for out of battery discharges.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a 15-22, and it started firing pseudo-full-auto after a few trips to the range. I found the hammer pin had walked out, and I assume it caused a 'bump-stock' type condition that caused uncontrolled, multiple rounds per trigger press. I may have gone further than I needed to - I replaced the trigger assembly with a Geissele SD3G, and added a KNS GenJJ Anti-Walk pin set. I haven't taken it to the range yet, but I hope to very shortly to try out my new setup!

IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0082 v2.JPG
Trigger 1.jpg
View attachment 360137

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
- I replaced the trigger assembly with a Geissele SD3G, and added a KNS GenJJ Anti-Walk pin set. I haven't taken it to the range yet, but I hope to very shortly to try out my new setup!
You fixed it. Nice choice.

Oh! Welcome to the forum. Please post a range report. I'm sure the Geissele took care of it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts