Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this yesterday thanks to one of our awesome forum members!

Can somebody help me with this one?
Can I get an approximate date of mfg on this?

I'm pretty sure what the serial number is but there are 2 sets of stamped numbers on it and I'm not absolutly positive.
1st is on the bottom of the butt and on the cylinder hinge. BPB0993, I think this is the correct serial number.

2nd is on the side of the butt 7819:100.
Does this number have a purpose if it isn't the serial number?

I can't wait to go to the range to appreciate the quality of it's design.
I traded my Model 19, 2-1/2" for this Model 66, 4".
I'm going to love this one for sure.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
That's sort of the quintessential .357 magnum, isn't it? ;)

Nice!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
First off, nice photo work gearchecker
Second, what's not to like with a 4" 357!
Third, the alphabet soup serials are hard to pin down {for me} but I'll guess 1993 MFG

·
Administrator
8,181 Posts
Nice find! You'll definitely enjoy that gun!

As far as your questions go, here's a little help. The number on the butt of the gun is definitely the serial number. The numbers on the side of the grip frame are usually just used for manufacturing purposes and do us (the consumer) no good. They're usually to keep track of various parts and pieces of a particular gun as it moves through the assembly process.

It looks like your revolver is from 1993, but to get a definite date you would need to have it lettered.

A nice set of wood grips would really look good.. just my personal opinion, of course. :D

·
Super Moderator
19,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the quick side of the story. I didn't even find it. It found me.
A while ago I posted a request to trade my Model 19 snub nose. I went nearly 3 weeks with mostly bad offers. One of the guys here PM'd me and asked if I would consider his Model 66 in trade. I said yes and now it's mine.
Like I said - It found me. I'm so happy to have it and can't wait till I can get it out on the range. I have a box of American Eagle 158 gr .357 to start with so I'll get it tuned in with that. I don't load or reload myself so for now it's factory ammo. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Nice piece, you need to do something about the 'Goodyear-Grips' though.

·
Super Moderator
19,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hipnp Help me out on this then!
I've got 2 of you telling me I need different grips.
When it comes to handguns I'm still pretty new.
I can't tell you the difference between a Pachmeyer or a Goodyear tire.
I know they are both made of rubber but that's about it.

My Model 19 had stock wood grips, my Model 14 has really nice wood grips too, but is there a better option?

If You think I need new grips tell me what to look at or get, I'm open to suggestions.
I've seen grips in every form imaginable, Elk horn, Ivory, Bone, rubber, wood, you name it. Why choose one over the other?
Lead me in the right direction and I'll probably listen to your advice.
Grips aren't very expensive and if I can get a good set I will certainly entertain the idea of changing them out. --- GQ

·
Super Moderator
33,351 Posts
Very nice revolver! kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend. Walnut or rosewood are always apropos.

·
Super Moderator
19,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What if I say money is no object?
I just got called back to work full time from a nasty layoff, YEAH!!

Okay, Money is no object!
But, I'm not going to throw away good money just to make some gun accessory salesmans day.

·
Super Moderator
33,351 Posts
I like some kind of rubber grips on my .357 Magnums. The wood grips can tear my hands up if I shoot a lot of full power loads. :shock:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If it's no object get a pair of Keith Brown grips or Eagle heritage cokes.

·
Super Moderator
19,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: My latest addition Model 66-3 4" - Grip suggestions!!

Well,
I need a new set of grips now!

My pastor got to see my Model 66 today and saw the grips on it. He said he always wanted a set of grips like mine. So I gave them to him. Not 100% sure they will fit his Wheelgun prefectly but I'm pretty sure they will.
He has a Taurus Model 66 with a 3" barrel and doesn't like his wooden grips.
I heard theTaurus wheelguns are S&W knockoffs. If they are, they should fit.
If my grips fit his gun he can have them with pleasure.
So I guess I need those new grips after all.

Now how's about some more good suggestions. I am going to the range in a couple of weeks so I will need them by then.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Stags or rubber grips? The two guns in this post are both 357 magnums. The one with rubber grips is the smaller 5 shot J-frame and the rubber grips on it help to absorb the recoil which is a little more severe than the S&W Model 66-1 wearing the stags.

Of course the stags look better - I feel the rubber grips are more user friendly when shooting magnums.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts