Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
It’s here. Just as beautifully done as my Cimarron Wyatt Earp and a perfect match (as it should be since Uberti made them both.

The action on the Cimarron is a bit lighter. Neither are heavy by any means but the Cimarron is very light. Both are lighter than any Ruger I have.

Wood Bicycle part Auto part Gun accessory Bicycle drivetrain part

Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel

Brown Table Wood Office supplies Wood stain

Wood Tool Hand tool Stonemason's hammer Hardwood

Wood Tool Hardwood Auto part Metal

Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Glasses Air gun Trigger Eyewear Everyday carry

Don’t have an extra display stand so I had to lean it against the back of the case to stand it up but that’s where she goes…
Wood Window Flooring Metal Fur

Wood Wall Rectangle Fish Metal

Got a picture of my youngest on horseback I need to have printed for that last frame

· Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Should be picking up my Model 44 today.

Also ordered a Tracker 7 shot 357. I just can’t bring myself to spend $1000 on a 686 plus. Maybe after the price gets back to reasonable, I’ll upgrade.

· Registered
18,112 Posts
Should be picking up my Model 44 today.

Also ordered a Tracker 7 shot 357. I just can’t bring myself to spend $1000 on a 686 plus. Maybe after the price gets back to reasonable, I’ll upgrade.
I have 4 model 686's. I'll let you know when I go to sell, because that is when the price will plummet. I have that kind of luck.

· Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
44 is home. Too bad it’s too damn cold for me to go out and shoot it. I think the windchill is supposed to be -15 tonight. Anyway, a couple out of the box pics and size/finish comparison with a 10.5” Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 and a hand polished S&W 460 8-3/8” (it’s the closest I had available).

Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Everyday carry

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

Hammer draw is really gritty. Can’t tell if it actual grit in there or rough parts. Going to have to tear it down and clean it. I have some 1500 grit sand paper, 4” polishing wheels and some rouge coming. Not sure how far I’ll buff it down but it needs something to brighten it up. Probably do the internal cleaning when that happens. I doubt you’ll find me out in this weather testing much out.

· Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Nice revolvers Phil! Thanks for sharing the pics. Enjoy them all....should be quite accurate.;)
Haven’t shot it yet. Will soon. Spent a couple hours on the couch buffing with some mother’s while I wait for the rouge and 1500 grit paper to arrive. Should be here Wednesday.

Nonetheless, I took the roughness off and put a little sheen on it. Helped expose where it needed work. You can see the ripples down the barrel lug from the machining in this pic, those will have to be sanded out. That’ll stand out like a sore thumb if polished like it is.
Wood Office supplies Office equipment Tints and shades Automotive exterior

Like I said, I got a bit of a sheen on it but it’s a satin, not a polished look. A little bit duller than my Rugers.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

Revolver Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel

· Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I still don’t have my Tracker .357 yet. That’s my fault. I had placed it on layaway and went ahead and made the next two payments like the next day. I really wanted to eval the Model 44 before I paid it off. Between then and now, I ordered two Kimber Stainless II 1911s in 10mm, then a stainless 45 Springfield Loaded 1911. I’ll pay it off this week since the Model 44 is completed.

I bought these grips for the Tracker .357. I did not like the look of the combat style grips with a long barrel. Especially not one as substantial as the Tracker barrel. I thought these would look right for the size and give it a little class.

Hand Gesture Finger Wood Glove

Wood Font Pattern Personal protective equipment Metal

pictured on a Taurus Judge
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
42,052 Posts
I still don’t have my Tracker .357 yet. That’s my fault. I had placed it on layaway and went ahead and made the next two payments like the next day. I really wanted to eval the Model 44 before I paid it off. Between then and now, I ordered two Kimber Stainless II 1911s in 10mm, then a stainless 45 Springfield Loaded 1911. I’ll pay it off this week since the Model 44 is completed.

I bought these grips for the Tracker .357. I did not like the look of the combat style grips with a long barrel. Especially not one as substantial as the Tracker barrel. I thought these would look right for the size and give it a little class.

View attachment 539371
View attachment 539370

pictured on a Taurus Judge
View attachment 539372
Beautiful grips for sure!

· Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Tracker came in. Already sent it to live with little brother. I ended up buying that 7” 686. I did get those grips on it though. I have another 4” Tracker and a 856 Defender on the way. I’ll have to post those up when they get here. Got a nice set of Altamont Gator combat grips for the 4” tracker. Still looking for some for the 3” 856.

6.5” Tracker Before and after new grips.
Trigger Revolver Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

The color is a bit washed out in those pics because of the ultra bright led lights. The true color of the grips is much closer to the factory pics above.

· Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Where did you get all those grips?
The set on the 6” tracker were from a Thailand manufacturer, sold on eBay. While the really are a beautiful set of grips, there’s no alignment pins inside to keep the grip panels flush with one another. It instead, relies on a round cutout in the grip frame to hold them in place. I sent that Tracker home with little brother and told him if they didn’t stay aligned, I’d drill it for some proper alignment pins. That was disappointing at $65 but can be fixed if it’s necessary. I may do it regardless to ensure they always stay where they belong.

The set for the 4” Tracker are Altamont grips sold by Taurus on their site. Those have the proper alignment pins.

I am looking hard at a set of these for the 3” 856 Defender.
Plant Sleeve Wood Wood stain Liver

· Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Just curious, does ATF consider the Heritage Rancher a hand gun or a long gun?
It’s a long gun, fixed stock and 16” barrel. Same as with the Rossi and Cimarron variants. If it was a pistol with a clip on stock, that would be different. If you are wondering about the melting point laws banning Heritage revolvers, that only applies to handguns.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts