Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put this 44 magnum on layaway a couple days ago. Taurus Model 44, 8 3/8” barrel… I wanted a project gun and wasn’t about to tamper with a $1200 Smith. This one was less than half that.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

That will make my 3rd 8-3/8” double action. My other two are the 460 and 500 X-Frames.

Bought this bad boy a few minutes ago off gun broker, factory new. Uberti 18” 1873 Cattleman Buntline .45 Colt. This will make my 3rd Buntline Special.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun

I have the Cimarron (also Uberti) 10” Wyatt Earp Buntline. Should go nicely with it. My other one is a stainless 10.5” Ruger Super Blackhawk.

Revolver Trigger Air gun Line Gun barrel

That Wyatt Earp is a wonderful shooting revolver. My boys love shooting it too. Hope this new one is as nice as it is.

You can’t tell I like long barrel big bores can ya?

· Registered
12,065 Posts
Hey Phil,

Some really nice looking revolvers!

To any of the detractors?

They just suffer from "Barrel Envy"! 🤣

Later, Mark

· Registered
12,065 Posts
I’ve been watching episodes of The Restless Gun with John Payne on YouTube. When things get serious he adds a barrel extension and a shoulder stock to his six shooter. He always gets the bad guy with it so you should be good to go. Some fine guns there.
This guy did good...

Hat Musical instrument Musician Guitar accessory String instrument

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Looks like great and fun firearms, I especially like the .22 Rancher!
I had to have one. Heritage fills a niche for super cheap fun so when I bought it, I wasn’t expecting much. I was actually pretty impressed for $260.

Wood Revolver Gun barrel Hardwood Trigger

Nice looking stock
Rectangle Wood Beige Bag Comfort

Nice heavy barrel
Wood Bicycle part Metal Hardwood Wood stain

Finish on the cast frame could be a little better but the barrel and cylinder were nicely machined and blued.
Gas Revolver Auto part Gun accessory Metal

The thumb safely is a bit of a turnoff but it isn’t as noticeable as it is on the handgun version. The larger overall gun kind of takes attention away from it. Doesn’t look as out of place on a rifle. Most importantly, no sleeves in the barrel or cylinder.

The cylinder fitment was near perfect. No rubbing and fit together so close that I couldn’t get the light from my led flashlight between the front or the back of the cylinder to check the time.

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe I missed it, but what's your project, Philmo11?
Project is messing with the finish. Try to bring this thing to a moderate polish. A friend of a friend is doing laser engraving. I found a source of pre-designed scroll patterns Id like to have him try on a revolver. I have 11 stainless revolvers Id like to have done but I'm not about to hand him a $1300 Smith or a $900 Ruger to play with.

· Registered
313 Posts
I put this 44 magnum on layaway a couple days ago. Taurus Model 44, 8 3/8” barrel… I wanted a project gun and wasn’t about to tamper with a $1200 Smith. This one was less than half that.

View attachment 526980
That will make my 3rd 8-3/8” double action. My other two are the 460 and 500 X-Frames.

Bought this bad boy a few minutes ago off gun broker, factory new. Uberti 18” 1873 Cattleman Buntline .45 Colt. This will make my 3rd Buntline Special.

View attachment 526981

I have the Cimarron (also Uberti) 10” Wyatt Earp Buntline. Should go nicely with it. My other one is a stainless 10.5” Ruger Super Blackhawk.

View attachment 526984

That Wyatt Earp is a wonderful shooting revolver. My boys love shooting it too. Hope this new one is as nice as it is.

You can’t tell I like long barrel big bores can ya?
One of my local gun stores just got a Taurus 44 8 3/8", that rascal is heavy.

· Registered
313 Posts
Yeah, that seems like a lot but compared to my 460 (73 oz) and my 500 (70 oz), 57 oz ain’t all that bad. The big 8 3/8” X-Frames will give me a hand cramp after about 50rds though.
I shoot one handed. The first time shot my Judge .45 long colt, I thought, "this is gonna hurt." Very little recoil due to the weight of the gun.

Reactions: msharley

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I shoot one handed. The first time shot my Judge .45 long colt, I thought, "this is gonna hurt." Very little recoil due to the weight of the gun.
I shoot one handed until ~2,000 ft lbs, then it’s two handed after that. Only Judges I’ve seen around here are the light weight. I might think about a stainless version but I’m not interested in the ones I’ve seen. My 4.25” bond is about 23oz I believe. 45 Colt isn’t bad, 410 is stout, 410 magnum is brutal.

· Registered
313 Posts
I shoot one handed until ~2,000 ft lbs, then it’s two handed after that. Only Judges I’ve seen around here are the light weight. I might think about a stainless version but I’m not interested in the ones I’ve seen. My 4.25” bond is about 23oz I believe. 45 Colt isn’t bad, 410 is stout, 410 magnum is brutal.
I bought these when I bought my Judge. Gonna give 'em a test run next week.
Gadget Font Gas Rectangle Electronic device

1 - 20 of 41 Posts