Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a little 6 inch barrel, wood square butt stocks, unfluted cylinder and full underlug barrel, this 629-1 is heavy!

I bought it new and I shot it once or twice. I can't warm up to the feel. I thought it looked cool but my GOD it's heavy. It points like a brick! :mrgreen:

629-1 hunter classic
44 magnum

·
Administrator
8,453 Posts
I don't know what it is about 'em, but I kinda like the feel of a heavy revolver.. They just feel good in my hand for some reason.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sureshotbob said:
If you think that is heavy add another 2 3/8" to the bbl.
That's got to be nose heavy!
Mine isn't nose heavy, I think the grip balances it out to feel neutral...
The wood combat sq butt grip is so fat on my piece, that I prefer to just put it down. It gives me the feeling of holding a brick. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buzzard Billy,

quote - My heaviest N Frame is a M657 P.C. Hunter. To further my education about my 657 PC that looks exactly like yours; Does your serial number start with an RSR? Is yours Prouct Code 170062?

I tried to send an email but this forum said I am not authorized to do so.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Derryl

·
Registered
429 Posts
I find that Hogue rubber grips make the difference in enjoying the heavy N-frames.

I like the heavyness on all my 44s and don't really think they are heavy. I have a 629-1 Classic Hunter (My favorite go to gun, I love the feel) like 500s but it has the Hogue grip. I think it is perfect.

I have a 7 1/2 incher Classic Magnum and it is really nice to aim the weight of the long underlug bbl is OK in my opinion. BTW these things are accurate and low recoil for big rounds.

I thought that is what everyone liked about them. But I still think the Hogue grips are what makes them so nice to handle.

Dave

·
Registered
83 Posts
As everyone say's the Hogue grip's do make the heavy recoiler's easy to shoot and the full lug do help to dampen the recoil. My 8 3/8 model 29-4 is a great gun to shoot using a rest. The main thing I got it for was if I want to take it on a hunt I always try to use a rest when possible when taking game.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts