Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the package from Giz has arrived, and as promised, here is a pic of her with her new friends. The other two are a Cold Steel reproduction of the Veitnam era fighting Hawk, and the other is a Cold Steel rifleman hawk.

G

·
0 Posts
Like the company she's keepin'...think she'll be about period correct for that new Pedersoli your thinkin' on too ;)

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Giz, Again thanks!!! Yeah she may have to ride along with the trapdoor, may even have to get a period style thumbbuster to go along too.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
When reading the various states' illegal knife statutes, I noticed that Texas and some other states categorize a tomahawk as an illegal "Club" if it is "recklessly carried" on or about the person. Better be careful about that "reckless carry"! :lol:

Seriously, those Indian 'hawks look like they are 150 years old! Wonderful modern antiques! Please give me some suggestions for antiqueing my Shrew 'Hawk up a bit.

xtm

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
One of the first things I do with a 'hawk is to wrap the handle portion just below the head with leather. Usually about 5" worth. Some brass tacks can spice it up a bit as well.

G

·
0 Posts
xtm,

You don't see alot of the Shrew hawks aroung these days. Although, truth be told, they are pretty useful tools. None of the glitz and glamor of the throwing hawks...but all of the handiness of camp chores without any added size or weight. Personally, I think the Shrew hawk is one of the most useful of tools, especially those with a hammering head.

To decorate, send to me ~ and I'll see if our buddy Gil is in the mood...he decorated that canoe gun that I've shown pics of. The man is missing his calling.... :) He is very talented.

giz

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Thanks for the offer, Giz, but I've already ordered myself a batch of those decorative brass nails! It's now on my long list of projects.

I was wondering if the Shrew Hawks were still available and if Ron LaClair was still up and kicking. I searched around and found him and he even has a website now: http://www.shrewbows.com/
Ron is an icon in traditional archery circles and this 'site is very interesting. He IDs the blacksmith of his 'hawks as Carlton Matteo, and now offers several 'hawk varieties and a dandy-looking throwing knife. He used to offer his various knife designs as subscription items, but I see that a skinner is now offered as an in-stock item in the Shrew Steel dropdown. Some of the older designs are highly sought by collectors.

xtm

·
Registered
239 Posts
Good thread! Thanks for that link, xtimberman. I'd like to get back into traditional archery, but with my messed up shoulders I doubt I could draw even a 30# bow. Still, I'd like to try making a bow out of hedge apple (or "Osage orange," as some call it) wood, whether I could shoot it or not.

If "discretionary income" was a little more plentiful, I'd be buying tomahawks along with the S&Ws. I have a couple I picked up at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse reenactment one year, but they don't compare to some of the beauties posted above. I'd enjoy seeing any artifacts related to American Indians-especially Eastern Woodland Indians in the 18th and early 19th Century.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Sorry for drifting OT, but traditional archery is a fabulous practice tool for improving your instinctive handgun shooting. I don't necessarily mean shooting without using gun sights - but learning how to quickly bring your weapon on target with the sights in the back of your mind and the P.O.I. on the target foremost in your thoughts.

When I was a little fella, one of my grandads observed that I am cross-eye dominant. I'm right-handed and left-eye dominant - but rather than force me to shoot left-handed, he started working with me using slingshots, archery, and shotgunning. I started out by squinting my left eye closed, but as the years went by, I began to shoot with both eyes open. I don't even think about it anymore. If my brain observes that my left eye is taking over, it signals to blink that left eye and the right eye takes over without me even knowing!

I can't have a gun range behind my house, but I do have a safe archery range with targets set up at various angles and distances. The local Barney Fife has tried to make me take down the targets and quit, but there are no ordnances against it...yet. Still, it's a great way to practice basic aiming skills when you can't go to a gun range.

xtm

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Xtm I have been shooting traditional archery for 50 years now. I have several recurves, but my favorite is my sentman long bow. I'm right handed left eye dominant to, no problems with shooting instinctive. :)

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
c pierce, I go bowhunting occasionally, but I mostly shoot my bows when I can't load up and shoot a gun. Any weekend or late afternoon I'm usually out there flingin' arrows with my 60" Renegade longbow built by Dave Neidaigh or my old Quinn Stallion t/d recurve - both are ~42#.

Like I said before , I believe that it's great practice for any kind of instinctive shooting.

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
I'm another one with a busted up shoulder from an accident. Makes me jealous as heck...cause I use to hunt with a bow when I was younger, and would love to take it up again. Think I'm pretty well limited to a crossbow these days and may eventually give it a go...

giz

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Giz& xtm My right shoulder went south on me from years of shooting heavy bows. About two years ago I started taking a product called (move free-you can get it at Costco) the main things are the glucosamine & chondroitin. My wife had been giving it to her older horses and herself for years before they came out with it for humans (she has RA) It takes about 3 months before you see a difference but it rebuilds the joint and bone tissue. After you take it a while you just one day think O that doesn't hurt today.

G

·
0 Posts
Mine came from a fall on a construction site and will never heal enough to allow me to shoot large caliber rifles again. I do use the combinations you suggested for my knees. Old ski injuries that accumulated over the years. I will agree 100% that they help rebuild tissue and brought me out of constant pain back to feeling semi-normal again. Great stuff.

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Roses, I saw one of your pic's showing some blades and such. Why not tell us about them!

Leighton

1 - 17 of 17 Posts