Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is back from it's first go around at restoration. It is a 45 Cal Flintlock that has a good deal of history surrounding it. When I purchased it, it was in need of repair/restoration. I was aware of it from the git-go. There is really only one person I trust to do this work and he's had it in his shop for the last 5 weeks. I've visited with him during the repairs. I wasn't aware of the extent of the damage, but he's worked through each and every issue. Sometimes waiting on me to look it over and approve the next steps. It is a finely wristed gun, and over time the thing that make them refined and beautiful, is also their greatest weakness. So steel reinforcing with epoxy resin, dutchmen inside of the lockworks, test fittings and finally she is together again. Stronger then ever, and able to shoot full loads without fear.

Over the years the sights were replaced at some point with a God-awful set of modern sights. So the dovetails are oversized on the gun. We've replaced the rear sight with a more traditional and period correct one. The front sight has been replaced with a temporary sight ~ to be filed and set to the load that I develop. We are searching for the correct sight to take it's place.

All in all a very intense piece of work. Late night phone calls back and forth with my 'Smith. Lost sleep on both our parts. He's incredible in his patience and skill level. Browning parts to match, hand fitting fine parts, and restoring the interior channels to refit the barrel to the wood....

Anyrate, I wanted this gun to be my gun. The one I hunt with and do my re-enactment events. The one gun that everyone that sees it, will associate with me....seeing as the two of us have more then a few miles on us...and have both been around the track. ;)

Gonna debut it at the Red Neck Shoot. It won't be finished, but it will be shootable :mrgreen: The goal has been to have it ready for the Ancient Ones Fall 'Vous and I'm thinkin' were just going to make it.

giz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
xtm,

One of the ******* Shooters and I spent a interesting afternoon at the range. Shot everything from a virgin Mauser to AR's. But the longest session was filing the sights on the Flintlock. Truth be told, I think both of us had more fun running that gun then the others. Sighting in a modern gun doesn't usually involve taking out files and drift pins ;)

Well pleased with the rear sight, although I will widen/deepen the window a bit for these older eyes. The front sight was another matter. My gunsmith installed a temporary sight to sacrifice to the File God. The real sight will be measured from this off of the barrel flat. Milled to fit the dovetail and then radiused to the right height. This now involves sending the gun back to the Smith for the final front sight.

All this for a older gun with cracks in the stock, dings, and dents... :) But it is a fine example of the makers skill ~ simplistic ~ and in keeping with a Poor Boy rifle. Thinkin' I'd lavish more money in maintaining the old guns original intent and tradition...then spending effort in a modern gun.

giz

·
Registered
22,116 Posts
Can't wait to see "your rifle", Giz. Those are mighty noble intentions that you have! ;) A completely restored "old" muzzleloader. Probably much easier to just get a replica.....and cheaper, too. But then, you couldn't say.....this is MY gun!!! ;) Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob....

It's still in progress. Everything about the gun is custom. The rear sight is done and correct...but the front sight is on backorder. I've installed the mock-up sight and sighted the gun in for the load I want to shoot. Now I need the real front sight to fit to the barrel. About a 2 hour job if I'm lucky. That's at a friends machine shop with all the proper tools.

All this for a plain jane Tennesee gun... ;) Thinkin' it'll finally be done for Thanksgiving...

giz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanksgivin' came and went...Then Christmas, then New Years...

Looks like I'm finally shooting it on Valentines Day...

My Gun is finally done!....

giz

·
Registered
22,116 Posts
That's appropriate, Giz!!!! You're gonna love that musket. Don't forget the pixs......... with a rundown of your "trials and tribulations" to make it possible. Like I said before....this is truly a noble undertaking....in my book!!! Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.