Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not my first revolver, but my first Smith & Wesson. ;)

In the past I've had an EAA Windicator in nickel, which was OK for the price but not really good in any way, and a Ruger GP100 7-shot blued, which was a pretty nice gun except I didn't care for the long and excessively heavy trigger pull. Got rid of both and decided I wanted a nice medium-frame revolver that can be easily concealed but still shoot full-power .357 Magnum loads without battering my hands too badly.

I looked at the SP101 4" and liked the grip, weight and balance, but not too keen on it only being a 5-shooter. I also looked at the Model 66 Combat Magnum and was impressed with the tightness of the lockup, but not too keen on the black controls and the short barrel. I'd have preferred a 3-4" as I like the look of the medium-length barrels the best. I also handled a Model 60 and it felt great, a serious contender for a smaller piece for warm weather IWB carry.

They also had a couple of 4" 686's in the case, one standard and one Plus. So, I handled the 686 Plus and quickly forgot about the others. Smooth action, great balance, barrel screwed on straight, and not as heavy as I expected. The presence of the internal lock doesn't bother me, it is what it is and I'd have no plans to use it anyway.

In the end, I suppose all well-thought plans get flushed down the drain eventually, so I went ahead and adopted the 686-6 Plus and a pair of HKS 587 speed loaders. I have Monday off (Martin Luther King Day, state holiday in CT), so it looks like the kid and I will be having another father-son range day. :D

686p.jpg 686p-open.JPG

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Nice choice! My 3"686+ spends a great deal of time on my hip and then on my nightstand. I shoot it well, I think it's beautiful and it handles nicely. Still won't rule out adding a 4" sometime soon. Some fair pricing out there. Love mine!

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
OOOhhh you gone done it now mate....... Let the enabling begin :) welcome from FL and congrats mate..

thewelshm

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nice gun but your definition of "easily concealed" in different than mine.

·
Registered
22,038 Posts
Not my first revolver, but my first Smith & Wesson. ;)

In the past I've had an EAA Windicator in nickel, which was OK for the price but not really good in any way, and a Ruger GP100 7-shot blued, which was a pretty nice gun except I didn't care for the long and excessively heavy trigger pull. Got rid of both and decided I wanted a nice medium-frame revolver that can be easily concealed but still shoot full-power .357 Magnum loads without battering my hands too badly.

I looked at the SP101 4" and liked the grip, weight and balance, but not too keen on it only being a 5-shooter. I also looked at the Model 66 Combat Magnum and was impressed with the tightness of the lockup, but not too keen on the black controls and the short barrel. I'd have preferred a 3-4" as I like the look of the medium-length barrels the best. I also handled a Model 60 and it felt great, a serious contender for a smaller piece for warm weather IWB carry.

They also had a couple of 4" 686's in the case, one standard and one Plus. So, I handled the 686 Plus and quickly forgot about the others. Smooth action, great balance, barrel screwed on straight, and not as heavy as I expected. The presence of the internal lock doesn't bother me, it is what it is and I'd have no plans to use it anyway.

In the end, I suppose all well-thought plans get flushed down the drain eventually, so I went ahead and adopted the 686-6 Plus and a pair of HKS 587 speed loaders. I have Monday off (Martin Luther King Day, state holiday in CT), so it looks like the kid and I will be having another father-son range day. :D

View attachment 436379 View attachment 436381
Congrats on adding the 4"686 to your collection. Great revolvers. Now you need a 6". Here is my 6" 686 no dash. Great shooter.

20200119_140544.jpg

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I hope that you enjoy your Smith as much as I have enjoyed mine! While I only have one with the lock, it’s a good shooter. The rest of mine are older and are a pure pleasure to handle and shoot. Happy Trails! Hank

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey CY,

That is a great score!

Lots of fun ahead!!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
15 Posts
You will not be disappointed.

There are any number of articles and videos that ask the question, if you could have just one revolver which one is most useful over all? The model 686 4" is always, and I do mean always, at or near the top of those list.

Please check back and let us have a range report.

And good luck with it!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Christened it with some .38 Special on Friday and found that the sights are spot on from the factory. No adjustment necessary. Trigger is the smoothest I've had yet on a new revolver.

I went with my son to the outdoor range today and loaded up some more .38 Special. It was his first time shooting a revolver of any kind. He had an issue with failures to fire on his second cylinder, but after I took over and inspected it worked fine for me. He's used to finding the reset on semi's, so we think he may have just short-stroked the trigger a couple times. I reminded him to fully release the trigger, and everything worked fine thereafter. He was surprised by how softly it shoots, and the recoil impulse difference compared to the M17, but once he got used to it he really enjoyed it.

I finished up with a few rounds of .357 Magnum. Big difference compared to the pea-shooter .38's, but very manageable in this heavy gun. Overall I'm very pleased.

There are any number of articles and videos that ask the question, if you could have just one revolver which one is most useful over all? The model 686 4" is always, and I do mean always, at or near the top of those list.
With good reason. This is definitely the best all-around revolver I've had yet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
... we think he may have just short-stroked the trigger a couple times.
Quoting myself here... The problem was not short-stroking the trigger. If you do this neither the cylinder nor the trigger will move at all, and it was definitely indexing and cocking/dropping the hammer for him. I believe what happened were light primer strikes. It could be a couple of rounds with deep-set primers, but there are TONS of posts on various forums about this, and they invariably point to the mainspring strain screw being loose. So, I removed the grips and tightened the strain screw. It was loose by about 1/2 turn. The hammer strike actually feels more positive now. I did not locktite it but I will if it backs out again. I'll see if this did the trick at the next range session.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quoting myself here... The problem was not short-stroking the trigger. If you do this neither the cylinder nor the trigger will move at all, and it was definitely indexing and cocking/dropping the hammer for him. I believe what happened were light primer strikes. It could be a couple of rounds with deep-set primers, but there are TONS of posts on various forums about this, and they invariably point to the mainspring strain screw being loose. So, I removed the grips and tightened the strain screw. It was loose by about 1/2 turn. The hammer strike actually feels more positive now. I did not locktite it but I will if it backs out again. I'll see if this did the trick at the next range session.
I never shoot single action so dont know how it might affect hammer fall but I cant imagine it changes a great deal but .. if you snugged down the strain screw good .. it should not need any loctite as the pressure from the spring will hold it in place. I tighten mine down to gorilla strength and then forget about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very Nice. I just bought a 686-4 older model today and havent fired it yet.
Enjoy your firearm buddy! You bought a VERY HIGH quality firearm and it looks SWEET.
I got a 2.5" but mine looks similar so I loved your photos. -Greg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts