Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking for a quality, concealable revolver in .38. I wanted something quality that would last a while, such as a Ruger or S&W. Because this is concealed carry size, I like that it has an enclosed hammer for pragmatic reasons, although I actually prefer the look of traditional hammers. .357's were on the menu too, but I wasn't sure which one I wanted yet whether mid or full sized so I didn't want to drop the higher price on one yet. There was an SP101 there which I didn't want to spend $750 on. I got this one below for $499 before tax. MSRP is $497.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
It will make a good pocket carry with a leather sleeve. I have a sleeved 342 cousin in my pocket right now, good luck with it! :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks to be a fine new Smith, now to let the collection grow!
Thanks! Yes, there are many other S&W guns I want:

1) Numerous larger revolvers
2) S&W Bodyguard in .380
3) S&W Victory in .22 LR

I would have gotten the .380 this time, but I didn't have a revolver.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
A snubby similar to that one keeps trying to creep into my accumulation, but I have not succumbed yet given the other options I already have. A Centennial version will probably eventually get me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My wife has a 637, same gun with a hammer. Recoil is pretty snappy especially with those thin grips. I put a set of Pachmayr Grippers on it because it hurt the web of her hand to shoot it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife has a 637, same gun with a hammer. Recoil is pretty snappy especially with those thin grips. I put a set of Pachmayr Grippers on it because it hurt the web of her hand to shoot it.

Is it better with the grips? I was looking at the Pachmayr grips options last night.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Having a .380 is fine. I have a couple and even reload for them. That said, the 642 is IMHO..absolutely a better choice at this point in your collection.
God forbid it is ever necessary, but if my daily carry gun is ever called to duty I would much prefer that it be loaded with 38 plus P than any .380 out there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is it better with the grips? I was looking at the Pachmayr grips options last night.
It' s still snappy but it doesn't hurt her hand because the felt recoil is diminished. The grips cover the backstrap and add some width and length over those tiny stock grips.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having a .380 is fine. I have a couple and even reload for them. That said, the 642 is IMHO..absolutely a better choice at this point in your collection.
God forbid it is ever necessary, but if my daily carry gun is ever called to duty I would much prefer that it be loaded with 38 plus P than any .380 out there.
Right, getting a revolver and .38 in concealed size was a higher priority. Also, I have .38 ammo. I didn’t have .380.

As to .380, is it much weaker? I’m aware it’s a lower mass projectile, but sometimes it is higher velocity and can have similar kinetic energy to many .38 rounds out of a given barrel. Especially with snubbies compared to .380 pocket pistols. That probably changes with large .38 revolvers.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It' s still snappy but it doesn't hurt her hand because the felt recoil is diminished. The grips cover the backstrap and add some width and length over those tiny stock grips.
I’m highly considering buying wadcutters if I can. Out of a snubbie they apparently are more controllable, less recoil, and perform as good as many premium rounds (which often don’t perform out of a snubbie).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just picked mine up a couple of month ago! (Say, where'd you get the knife?)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put a set of Pachmayr Grippers on it because it hurt the web of her hand to shoot it.
Hmmm, that definitely looks like it would fit my large hand better than the stock grips. I've think you've convinced me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sweet! How do you like it?
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to shoot it yet! I picked it up at Dunham in January, and they had no .38 Special ammo in stock to sell to me for it. I checked every local gun shop within 40 miles of me and - nothing! It seems .38 Special is harder to come by then 9mm (which I have plenty of). Just in the last couple of weeks I was able to find some online at a price (although still outrageous) that I was willing to pay. So I have 50 rounds of target and 50 of self-defense now. Now it's a matter of getting to the range. I'm in the middle of buying a house so . . .

It is definitely very easy to conceal though - which is the entire reason I bought it - so I'll be ready for shorts & t-shirt weather.

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to shoot it yet! I picked it up at Dunham in January, and they had no .38 Special ammo in stock to sell to me for it. I checked every local gun shop within 40 miles of me and - nothing! It seems .38 Special is harder to come by then 9mm (which I have plenty of). Just in the last couple of weeks I was able to find some online at a price (although still outrageous) that I was willing to pay. So I have 50 rounds of target and 50 of self-defense now. Now it's a matter of getting to the range. I'm in the middle of buying a house so . . .

It is definitely very easy to conceal though - which is the entire reason I bought it - so I'll be ready for shorts & t-shirt weather.

Thanks for the link!
Yeah I hear you. .38 is not cheap. It is available for $49.99 a box at the LGS I bought it at, and $59.99 I think at the range I have a membership at. The latter has a one box limit at the range.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Yeah I hear you. .38 is not cheap. It is available for $49.99 a box at the LGS I bought it at, and $59.99 I think at the range I have a membership at. The latter has a one box limit at the range.
Do you have access to local or regional gun shows? Although prices are higher, ammo can still be found most of the time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts