Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Geoff got me goin' about my Kayak....

I've had one for a couple of years now and it's great, but so far I've only used it for touring, socializing and clowning around in.

I had purchased it with the intention of using it for fishing by myself, but never got around to it.

However this afternoon I finally took it out on one of the tributaries of Sebago Lake for just that purpose.

First cast, first fish..... :p

And beings that this is a Smith & Wesson Forum.... :cool:

I really didn't want to kill him, but he was charging.... :shock:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shaun,

This bass nailed the plug within seconds of it hitting the water while I was screwing around settling my gear in the boat. Damn near took the rod. I had closed the bail and set the rod between my knees as I pulled my Sterns out of my arm pit and flailed about the cockpit so I wasn't sitting on the anchor.

He fought like a trooper.... towed the boat around and sounded several times.... I didn't see him until the last second when he was pretty close to the boat... actually though he was a pickerel the way he struck and then never went airborne so I played him pretty hard and took all he had .... he was pretty wiped out when he came to hand. When I saw it was a good bass I felt pretty bad about working him the way I did...even on the ultralight gear I was using... had I known I wouldn't have 'sported' him so... Also, he inhaled a brand new JF-7 Rapala and had every one of those sharp fresh hooks in him, and deep.

I didn't want to kill him (I rarely do anymore) but I don't think he would have survived..... But he's in a better place now.... Tin Foil.

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
Nice catch Drew, how did you cook him up? I like to rub some garlic and olive oil on them with some salt and fresh ground black pepper and cook them on the bar-b-que, then lemon juice before serving.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dom,

I keep wild game pretty simple.... he got filleted, dosed with fresh lemon juice and a stick of butter, then into the oven.

While he was simmering I roasted some nice little Red Potatoes with Garlic and Scallions, blanched a crown of Brochochli and popped open a PBR.

Life is good.

Drew

·
Registered
238 Posts
Congrats Drew!

Nice fish!
And that meal sounds even better than the venison brats I had the other day!
I'm heading back to the river Tue/Wed for trout.
Hopefully I'll have pics this time!

Jim

·
Registered
592 Posts
Fantastic! And on the first cast?!
Nice job Drew. I'm opening a fresh brew to salute your success.
Now.. don't you guys have stripers out there too? That would be something.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Nice fish Drew.
I think Stinson lake here in NH has N. Pike, and I also think the body of water you mentioned, the upper Connecticut, also has them too. Repeat, you wouldn't have to ask twice. ;)
It would take some planning, but these kayaks would also be a lot of fun on some of the reservoirs of NY, fishing for middle of the night toads or walleye. I'd be happy to meet you somewhere along the coast too, but sheltered a bit, no keel no ocean. I was thinking Great Bay must have some pretty fine striper/kayak fishing at times. Or any of the places like it down East.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup Dan, first cast.... but I have to say I hooked my Sterns Vest and then my Cargo Netting before I even got to the first drift... fishing out of a Kayak is a new experience in stretching, twisting, bending, disorganization and imbalance.... :? Picture lying nearly prone on your back, trying to change baits with half the the tacklebox under your knees and the other half balancing on your chest ..... Because the water was so dark I might have had more action had I switched to a brighter plug or maybe a spinner when the wind came up. But as it was the Rapala JF-7 in Silver Natural was a pretty good compromise as I actually caught and released several smaller bass and a couple of pickerel. So I left it on all afternoon.

One thing I learned very quickly is to keep the plug outside the boat at all times. If it gets inside the combing it quickly drops out of sight and then promptly finds all manor of inconvenient things to hook up on....

Another was I had waaaaay to much junk in the boat. I didn't need most of the odds-n-ends I brought with me. Next time I'll leave the cargo carrier in the truck and just lay one small tackle box with a very few plugs and spinners in it on the floor under my seat and take just a water bottle (or wine bag) with me.

Would have stayed out longer but it got pretty breezy, so much so that wind on the paddle blade alone was enough to push the boat along at a pretty good clip. I was glad to have a paddle lanyard for when I laid it across the gunnel to cast.

Geoff, I do know a couple of Brackish Rivers (Spurwink and Dunstan) where the Stripers run and I hear they're just now in the rivers. Even got a couple of 'secret-spots' where one could anchor in the backwater and cast into the main river. Easy Parking very close to the water and I've caught quite a few schoolies (mostly slot fish) there in the past. We should make it a weekday night if that's possible... there's less pressure then. if you're up for it, let's give it a try...

Making a big breakfast for Ryan tomorrow and we're going out to a new pond in the morning.... but we're taking the canoe this time....

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cool, Drew!! :mrgreen:

And yeah, I am envious of the kayaking as well...mine is still up on hangers in the shed :roll:

What?? No Katie in the Kayak?? :lol:

Tim and I caught some pretty nice walleyes last Friday night. Finally got a chance to get out fishing without a 40+mph wind! I've got a few pictures on the blackberry, and will have to get those on the computer to see how they turned out.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bean357 said:
What?? No Katie in the Kayak?? :lol:
When she was this sized she would ride inside the combing between my knees.... :p

These days, now that she's all grown up, well..... not so much!..... :shock:

Not that she wouldn't want to, but I think that she'd see a fish coming in, get excited and we'd both be in the drink...... :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts